Christian Preschools in Irvine

SoCal78_IHB

IPO:

Your kids go to Jenny Hart? Coincidentally I am going to their tour this coming Monday (the site says it's required before being added to waiting list.) I am definitely looking forward to learning more about it. (Thanks to Irvinesinglemom for telling me about it.) I have been having a difficult time finding a Christian preschool. My son is only 2 1/2. He won't start until age 4 but I want to allow plenty of time to explore our options and allow time for waiting list. You said they have one Bible class a week. Did they incorporate Christ-centered learning during the other days of the week? How would you describe the facility - is it clean and new / modern or older?

The only other places I know of with this type of program in the Irvine area are the preschool at Mariner's Church (which I've heard not great comments on from two parents) and Good Shepherd Lutheran Church which nobody I know has used. Did you look at others before choosing J.H. and if so, what made you decide to go with J.H.?

Thanks in advance.

If anyone else has comments your experience with these schools I'd love to read them too.

I've toured Jenny Hart, Good Shepherd and Irvine Christian Montessori (the one that is getting kicked out by Lennar).

Of the 3, we liked Jenny Hart the best. 2 friends of mine sent kids to Good Shepherd and they liked it... but it was a little rundown for my taste. The Montessori was on the old El Toro base so that had its own demerits.

We almost did Jenny Hart but the proximity and program of one of the non-Christian Montessoris won us out.

Just so people don't think I am leaving you hangin' SoCal, I responded to your PM.

To summarize, JH is great, Good Shepherd from what I hear is great too. ICMA and Creekside are/were good but they are/will be no more...

Additional, if you want to travel a bit further, St. Paul's in Tustin is supposed to be a good school too. They only offer half-day programs though.

I have heard very good things about the jewish preschool at Congregation B'Nai Israel in Tustin as well. Not Christian but I figured I'd toss it out here anyway since I love to thread-jack :)

Another Christian preschool that is semiclose depending on which side of Irvine you live on is Calvary Christan School in Santa Ana. Its right by Irvine Blvd/4th Street on Tustin Ave.

Its a 10-15 minute drive if you are on the Northwood/Northpark side of the 5.

I'm an alumni :)

[quote author="24inIrvine" date=1223703612]Another Christian preschool that is semiclose depending on which side of Irvine you live on is Calvary Christan School in Santa Ana. Its right by Irvine Blvd/4th Street on Tustin Ave.

Its a 10-15 minute drive if you are on the Northwood/Northpark side of the 5.

I'm an alumni :)</blockquote>

One more with a good rep (two families on the baseball team I coach have their kids there and love it) that may be doable from Northwood/Northpark is Salem Lutheran Preschool in Orange. It's off Santiago Canyon.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1223706567]I haven't done this research yet.... but what Christian Elementary schools are in Irvine (sorry in advance for the detour but I need to prepare).</blockquote>

I can't think of any in Irvine actually... All the ones I know of aren't in the city.

I had a friend who worked at the Good Shepherd preschool several years ago and had some real horror stories (kids cruising around with poopy diapers for half the day, teachers leaving the classrooms to talk on their cellphones, etc). I don't know if things are still bad there, but I would give it an extra close look before sending my (theoretical) children there.

[quote author="QH Renter" date=1223707821]I had a friend who worked at the Good Shepherd preschool several years ago and had some real horror stories (kids cruising around with poopy diapers for half the day, teachers leaving the classrooms to talk on their cellphones, etc). I don't know if things are still bad there, but I would give it an extra close look before sending my (theoretical) children there.</blockquote>

Wonder why neither of the families I know ever picked up on those kinds of things? Between them, they put four kids through Good Shep. I guess some things the parents never see or experience...

[quote author="QH Renter" date=1223707821]I had a friend who worked at the Good Shepherd preschool several years ago and had some real horror stories (kids cruising around with poopy diapers for half the day, teachers leaving the classrooms to talk on their cellphones, etc). I don't know if things are still bad there, but I would give it an extra close look before sending my (theoretical) children there.</blockquote>

My kids have gone to Good Shepherd over the past 6 years and I can say that I have not seen any of what your friend had said. I have never seen a teacher talk on their cellphone, nor check there cellphone during any part of school time. The school regularly changes diapers at set intervals, regardless of if it is clean or dirty. We have volunteered during the days and have never witnessed anything bad going on.

Back