Chino - Stanford Square at College Park

lilbrownjon_IHB

Hi everyone,

Long-time reader / first-time poster of the forums, and also just bought a new home in <a href="http://www.stanford-square.com/">Stanford Square</a> at <a href="http://www.collegeparkchino.com/">College Park</a> in Chino. We're eagerly awaiting the completion of construction before moving in.

Just wanted to get some feedback from anyone that has feedback to offer on the following:

1) Anyone live in College Park? If so, how do you like living there? The community seems fairly quiet, and one where the residents keep to themselves. I'm not sure if that's generally how it is, or if it just happened to be that way in the times I've been over there.

2) Does anyone have information on when construction is going to pick up again in College Park? I'm eager to utilize the planned Commons Recreation Center, though I've been advised by the sales team in my community that it probably won't happen for another couple years. I guess the projected # of homes was supposed to be 2000+ in College Park by now, but we're only at 400+, so there's no justification for building it yet. And what about the proposed elementary school and shopping center?

3) Perhaps not so much a College Park-specific question, but just Chino in general: what TV provider would you recommend between Time Warner, Verizon FIOS, and DirecTV?

4) In researching the assigned schools for my neighborhood, I've learned the following: Rhodes Elementary is excellent, Woodcrest Junior High is sub-par, and Chino Hills High School is excellent. The junior high concerns me a bit, but I won't have to worry about it for a while since my first child is still on the way. Anyone have experience with these schools?

And if there's anything else you can share that I would find interesting or helpful for my upcoming move, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

-lilbrownjon

[quote author="lilbrownjon" date=1251172428]

4) In researching the assigned schools for my neighborhood, I've learned the following: Rhodes Elementary is excellent, Woodcrest Junior High is sub-par, and Chino Hills High School is excellent. The junior high concerns me a bit, but I won't have to worry about it for a while since my first child is still on the way. Anyone have experience with these schools?

And if there's anything else you can share that I would find interesting or helpful for my upcoming move, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

-lilbrownjon</blockquote>

Though I didn't go to jr high at either Woodcrest or Magnolia, I went to HS with many who went to one or the other, and it seemed like Magnolia always came out on top. Of course, I was hanging out with the band nerds and Magnolia's band was definitely superior to Woodcrest's. Still, even in visiting the campus it seemed... put together, or at least more so than Woodcrest.

I was way too absorbed in band *pushes glasses back up nose* to notice the surrounding high schools. Except Don Lugo. They stink.

Speaking of stink, since I'm not sure where you're coming from, you should know that there is a smell in that area. You won't notice it after about a month of living there, except on really damp mornings, but your out-of-town visitors will.

[quote author="lilbrownjon" date=1251172428]I'm eager to utilize the planned Commons Recreation Center, though I've been advised by the sales team in my community that it probably won't happen for another couple years</blockquote>I get the feeling it might be longer than that

brown... welcome! this is in no way putting down Chino, but, how are the cow pasture there now? when I say Chino, the preserve and drive past college park, the neighborhoods were surrounded by them, the smell was unbearable... now I'm sure it will be a good investment in the long run, as the cow farms will hopefully eventually go away, but how long, and can you stand it? It's just funny when you visit some of these model homes at the preserve and when you look out the master bed room window, you see a cow!

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1251182228]brown... welcome! this is in no way putting down Chino, but, how are the cow pasture there now? when I say Chino, the preserve and drive past college park, the neighborhoods were surrounded by them, the smell was unbearable... now I'm sure it will be a good investment in the long run, as the cow farms will hopefully eventually go away, but how long, and can you stand it? It's just funny when you visit some of these model homes at the preserve and when you look out the master bed room window, you see a cow!</blockquote>

True, that it's not the "OC lifestyle", but its a way of life for many people who live out there. Either you're comfortable with it, or you're not. I regret the day all the dairies are gone and replaced with super-communities. I value both, but don't think they have to be exclusive of each other.

[quote author="trip.threat" date=1251244529][quote author="roundcorners" date=1251182228]brown... welcome! this is in no way putting down Chino, but, how are the cow pasture there now? when I say Chino, the preserve and drive past college park, the neighborhoods were surrounded by them, the smell was unbearable... now I'm sure it will be a good investment in the long run, as the cow farms will hopefully eventually go away, but how long, and can you stand it? It's just funny when you visit some of these model homes at the preserve and when you look out the master bed room window, you see a cow!</blockquote>

True, that it's not the "OC lifestyle", but its a way of life for many people who live out there. Either you're comfortable with it, or you're not. I regret the day all the dairies are gone and replaced with super-communities. I value both, but don't think they have to be exclusive of each other.</blockquote>

Horton owns most of the chino, right? How hard/ easy is it for a company like that to buy those dairies and covert that area into communities?

The day that stink is gone, the houses will appreciate a lot over there..

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1251245438][quote author="trip.threat" date=1251244529][quote author="roundcorners" date=1251182228]brown... welcome! this is in no way putting down Chino, but, how are the cow pasture there now? when I say Chino, the preserve and drive past college park, the neighborhoods were surrounded by them, the smell was unbearable... now I'm sure it will be a good investment in the long run, as the cow farms will hopefully eventually go away, but how long, and can you stand it? It's just funny when you visit some of these model homes at the preserve and when you look out the master bed room window, you see a cow!</blockquote>

True, that it's not the "OC lifestyle", but its a way of life for many people who live out there. Either you're comfortable with it, or you're not. I regret the day all the dairies are gone and replaced with super-communities. I value both, but don't think they have to be exclusive of each other.</blockquote>

Horton owns most of the chino, right? How hard/ easy is it for a company like that to buy those dairies and covert that area into communities?

The day that stink is gone, the houses will appreciate a lot over there..</blockquote>

Not sure about Horton - I only know of one development in that area by that builder, but I just know what's on the surface.

I'm biased, of course, but I'm not sure I agree that the smell is what keeps prices down. Like I said, unless it's a damp morning, long-term residents don't really notice or mind the smell. Prices are still on their way down in that area, and until there is a mass, convenient transportation system for OC/LA commuters, the remote-ness (?) will keep the prices down.

[quote author="trip.threat" date=1251244529][quote author="roundcorners" date=1251182228]brown... welcome! this is in no way putting down Chino, but, how are the cow pasture there now? when I say Chino, the preserve and drive past college park, the neighborhoods were surrounded by them, the smell was unbearable... now I'm sure it will be a good investment in the long run, as the cow farms will hopefully eventually go away, but how long, and can you stand it? It's just funny when you visit some of these model homes at the preserve and when you look out the master bed room window, you see a cow!</blockquote>

Yup - we definitely took the 'stench' into heavy consideration before taking the plunge and buying the house. At the end of the day, we weren't bothered by it as much as we thought (initially, the wife wasn't having it AT ALL!), and were more excited over the fact that we found a good-sized home and neighborhood to start our family (1st baby due in December!).

Congrats on the baby and house. I lived there not far from where you will be. We also moved in right before our first was born. Tell your wife about the Moms Club there. Here is <a href="http://momsclubofchino.googlepages.com/">their site.</a> She can attend three park days before deciding if she wants to join or not. The membership dues are very low. It is a great experience. Good luck.

[quote author="trip.threat" date=1251244529]

True, that it's not the "OC lifestyle", but its a way of life for many people who live out there. Either you're comfortable with it, or you're not. I regret the day all the dairies are gone and replaced with super-communities. I value both, but don't think they have to be exclusive of each other.

</blockquote>

When I think of Chino, I think of it as the place where Ryan on "The OC" came from before he moved to Newport Beach with the Cohens. So on the show, it was portrayed as the complete opposite of Newport Beach, kind of gritty and gang-y. I can't be the only person on this board who loved "The OC," right? Right? Anyone???

I've never been to Chino personally but I've heard good things about Chino Hills.

[quote author="traceimage" date=1251335490][quote author="trip.threat" date=1251244529]

</blockquote>

When I think of Chino, I think of it as the place where Ryan on "The OC" came from before he moved to Newport Beach with the Cohens. So on the show, it was portrayed as the complete opposite of Newport Beach, kind of gritty and gang-y. I can't be the only person on this board who loved "The OC," right? Right? Anyone???

I've never been to Chino personally but I've heard good things about Chino Hills.</blockquote>

I was actually a big fan of "The OC" as well (mainly because I thought that Rachel Bilson aka Summer Roberts was HOT).

But the truth is, Chino is totally NOT anything like it was portrayed in the show. Granted, there's a part of the city where the crime rate is a bit higher - that is the north side closer to Pomona - but for the most part, it's a quiet city that historically has been known for its cow farms. I dunno why the show didn't just use South Central LA for Ryan's hometown - at least everyone knows (including its own residents) that it's ghetto.

Chino Hills is nice - imagine Irvine, but w/o the proximity to the beach.

[quote author="lilbrownjon" date=1251336504]I dunno why the show didn't just use South Central LA for Ryan's hometown</blockquote>
Not many white boys from South Central anymore

The "Chino" episode was not shot in Chino

[quote author="lilbrownjon" date=1251336504][quote author="traceimage" date=1251335490][quote author="trip.threat" date=1251244529]

</blockquote>

I've never been to Chino personally but I've heard good things about Chino Hills.</blockquote>

I was actually a big fan of "The OC" as well (mainly because I thought that Rachel Bilson aka Summer Roberts was HOT).

But the truth is, Chino is totally NOT anything like it was portrayed in the show. Granted, there's a part of the city where the crime rate is a bit higher - that is the north side closer to Pomona - but for the most part, it's a quiet city that historically has been known for its cow farms. I dunno why the show didn't just use South Central LA for Ryan's hometown - at least everyone knows (including its own residents) that it's ghetto.

Chino Hills is nice - imagine Irvine, but w/o the proximity to the beach.</blockquote>

Yay! Fellow fan!

[quote author="traceimage" date=1251355695][quote author="lilbrownjon" date=1251336504][quote author="traceimage" date=1251335490][quote author="trip.threat" date=1251244529]

</blockquote>

Chino Hills is nice - imagine Irvine, but w/o the proximity to the beach.</blockquote>

Yay! Fellow fan!</blockquote>

"Mmmm whatcha say"

So if that's how Chino was portrayed during the boom, I couldn't imagine what its like in the bust. In terms of cable maybe you can talk one of the Chino prison inmates into running an illegal line for you, otherwise I'd go with DirecTV. Cable sucks beyond comprehension.

Back