Charts show University of California admissions rates for every public high school in state

cool tool. I looked up our son's public HS here and the enrollment and stats are a very close match to Uni - 63% of 440 seniors applied and 75% were accepted, with Uni at 71% / 78%.

There's a paywall here after a few seconds so can't see the chart. Where does Northwood place? Surprised that Portola High has higher acceptance rate than Northwood.

Is a UC undergraduate degree all that valuable though?
Depends on what your definition of "valuable" is but you already knew that with this statement :)
According to Georgetown (you can assign your own "value" to their study/data/institution/etc), the 30 year NPV rank of 5 or 6 of the UC schools is in the top 200 of the 4500 colleges/universities ranked.

Depends on what your definition of "valuable" is but you already knew that with this statement :)
According to Georgetown (you can assign your own "value" to their study/data/institution/etc), the 30 year NPV rank of 5 or 6 of the UC schools is in the top 200 of the 4500 colleges/universities ranked.

Nice tool! Thanks for sharing!

UC is the next best thing to Ivy. :)
According to Georgetown's 40-year NPV ranking, the top UC is Berkeley which ranks just slightly above the lowest Ivy which is Brown. So I guess you're right. It's next best, but that's like saying the Clippers are the next best team in LA.

The surprising thing I learned from this tool is that 2-year nursing school is your best bet if you're not Ivy or CalTech material.

There are six nursing schools that beat UC Berkeley and nine that beat UCLA.

The surprising thing I learned from this tool is that 2-year nursing school is your best bet if you're not Ivy or CalTech material.

There are six nursing schools that beat UC Berkeley and nine that beat UCLA.
Hasn’t it always been Ivy or bust? Oh wait… wrong forum. It’s the opposite here. Ivies SUCK.

What about U. Chicago, Northwestern, Rice University, Washington St. Louis, Johns Hopkins, Swarthmore, Amherst, Williams, Pomona College, Caltech, MIT, Harvey Mudd?
I would argue that MIT and CalTech are better than most Ivy, especially MIT, which consistently ranks in top 3 along with Harvard and Stanford.

Thanks, CalBears96, for reminding me about Stanford. As OCtoSV says, Caltech is #1 regardless of whatever rankings system says. However, Caltech has decided to go test blind through 2025. You should never go by US News rankings or any other ranking system that has Caltech #12 or whatever, because it's a small school without a full array of departments and majors and facilities, etc. And, bones, of course Caltech does affirmative action; they're just more careful--with or without test scores. In contrast, MIT is the only top school that has decided to go back to test mandatory starting entry year 2023 out of concern for applicants who didn't submit test scores, got accepted, enrolled, and couldn't hack it.

Is a UC undergraduate degree all that valuable though?

Depends. Schools like UCLA has high visibility abroad and helps when applying for jobs, versus UC Davis is not as well known. Even for Ivy schools, Harvard and Yale has very high visibility abroad, versus Dartmouth may have less visibility than UCLA and Stanford.

In terms of alumni networks, I think UCLA and USC has better network opportunities than say, CSU Fullerton. Both have large active professional associations in industries like Real Estate and Entertainment, and alumni clubs abroad in many countries. USC for example has international offices in Beijing • Hong Kong • London • Mexico City • Mumbai • São Paulo • Seoul • Shanghai • Taipei :

Back