Charts show University of California admissions rates for every public high school in state

In the African American community, they started the Historically Black Colleges to get around discrimination from the mainstream universities. Maybe Asians, with all of their entrepreneurial drive, should start their own network of colleges that cater to high achieving Asian students that were rejected from the Top 25 schools. I would hire from a school like this.
It would be called racist and they wouldn’t be allowed to.

It would be called racist and they wouldn’t be allowed to.
As long as the college fairly evaluated applicants based on their merits, it would be perfectly legal, and since Asians disproportionately score high in GPA / SAT / ACT scores, they would be admitted at a higher rate based purely on merit. The college would still admit high achieving kids from other backgrounds, but they could be explicit about the fact that they are catering to high achieving Asians who are excluded from the Ivy's for superficial reasons.

As long as the college fairly evaluated applicants based on their merits, it would be perfectly legal, and since Asians disproportionately score high in GPA / SAT / ACT scores, they would be admitted at a higher rate based purely on merit. The college would still admit high achieving kids from other backgrounds, but they could be explicit about the fact that they are catering to high achieving Asians who are excluded from the Ivy's for superficial reasons.
I like this idea of a Merit Based University. I'm not sure what is involved in starting one but it seems like it would be a long, uphill slog. It might be an opportunity for an existing college to pivot to. If they could do it remotely and reduce costs, even better. I know a lot of parents want their kids to have the same experience they had but I'm not a believer in perpetuating the idea that kids need a 4 year vacation to experience college life and find themselves.

When I was in corporate world, have UCLA and USC on my resume made for a great ice breaker talking point at interviews which really loosened things up. Being in SoCal, being an alum of either school can definitely be a positive as there are a lot of both alums here. My gf finished a 2-year nursing school program and made 6 figures a year with no experience working at Keck without any overtime.

I may catch flak for this but I think someday broad college education may not be as important as it has in the past.

I really believe in the 2 year junior college for general ed (or if your student is ambitious, pile up on AP and summer classes to skip those 2 years) and then some specialized education track after that. And in many cases... just some specialized education course or trade school and that could be good enough for most.

I learned most of my skills in my field during my 3rd year in college (at a job not in the school) and most of what I do now is from work experience and almost zero college education.

If I remember correctly... most of the better money straight out of colleges careers (no post college degree) are in finance (investments slanted) or tech. Most kids out of high school actually know enough to get started in some tech positions (via self taught or the internet)... as for investing... aren't there specific courses for that may not require all that college bruhaha?

And I do believe many kids can benefit from "the college experience" for both social and mental growth... but just like sports players who can make more after 1 (or no) year(s) in college, a lot of what is learned in college for people who are targeting medicine, law or whatever.. is wasted.

From what I've seen, college is more like a buffer zone for kids to figure what they think they want and what they really want. Many of the people I know are working in a field they didn't go to college for. Sometimes I think degrees aren't worth the money they cost.

/shields_up

I totally agree with you, I had no idea what I wanted to major in or what I wanted to do after I graduated college. I mean look at me, I got my CPA and MBA and worked as head of accounting for a few companies but ended being a realtor for which I didn't even need to graduate high school to become. I will say that I had some great experiences in both my undegrad and grad school days because I met some great friends and enjoyed the group think environments. The Big 6 CPA firms at the time were only recruiting on campus from USC and UCLA during my days so it did help get me a job there being at UCLA.

When I was in corporate world, have UCLA and USC on my resume made for a great ice breaker talking point at interviews which really loosened things up. Being in SoCal, being an alum of either school can definitely be a positive as there are a lot of both alums here. My gf finished a 2-year nursing school program and made 6 figures a year with no experience working at Keck without any overtime.
I throw away any resume that has usc on it. Made that mistake once of hiring from usc and all they did was hire all their friends and rack up the expense accounts…never again. And then had the audacity to question me! The owner of the company. I’ll hire a college drop out anyday, they are hungry and appreciate the opportunity.

I throw away any resume that has usc on it. Made that mistake once of hiring from usc and all they did was hire all their friends and rack up the expense accounts…never again. And then had the audacity to question me! The owner of the company. I’ll hire a college drop out anyday, they are hungry and appreciate the opportunity.
Well, I mean, University of Spoiled Children...

What about someone who also went to UCLA? :ROFLMAO:

Back