Celebrity Soul Food Buffet
24416 Muirlands Blvd
Lake Forest, CA 92630
(949) 328-9720
www.celebritysoulfoodbuffet.com

Yelp:http://www.yelp.com/biz/celebrity-soul-food-buffet-lake-forest

91135967.png

90714104_scaled_452x686.png

Had high hopes because of the Yelp reviews but unfortunately, it was a bit underwhelming.

The concept is good... but the execution needs some work. If you've ever been to the Dragon Chinese Buffet which is what this place used to be, it is basically the same with some paint and new wall art. The chairs are from the old place as they have a bowl with chopsticks on them (unless that's a southern dish I am unaware of).

Pros:
- Good selection of southern/soul food
- Fried chicken
- Waffles

Cons:
- Food stays out too long, needs to be rotated more regularly
- Mac & cheese was too spicy for my kids
- Most of the food is too salty (but that is expected from southern food)

Maybe it was because it was a weeknight, the food didn't get rotated regularly but they should understand the ebbs/flows of a buffet cycle and cook accordingly.

The service and people were great but it seems like this their first buffet business.

As a buffet regular, this is how I think it should be:

1. During slow times, cook smaller portions or use smaller trays (and keep the rest in the kitchen), this way it doesn't dry out or get "old".
2. If you aren't going to fill the salad bar with ice to the top, close one side down and pack everything on one side so it doesn't look like a small pool.
3. Make sure drinking glasses are totally dry if you stack them, otherwise stack them such that they can dry out (Hometown Buffet uses stacked trays). Wet glasses that are stacked are inviting mildew to visit.
4. The waffle maker bar is nice but in reality, no one can eat that huge a waffle unless you are me. And you have to wait a while for it to cook. You should have someone periodically make waffles, break it into 4 pieces (since it is a 4-piece waffle) and put it under a heat lamp like the corn bread biscuits.

The prices are a bit high.. and they only give you the kid discount up to age 9 and to me... kids should at least go to age 11 or 12. Drinks are extra which is fine but it's strange that you would charge $1.99 for all you can drink, but $2.50 for a 32oz to go cup. And the kids meals should always include a drink (how much can they really put away anyways?).

Not sure if we will be back. If you go, let me know what you thought.

Buffets and cafeterias that serve a lot of people must pre-prepare food in bain-marie hot tables, because they're not set up to cook that quantity of food on demand quickly.  For this buffet I'd recommend coming here for lunch and arriving a little early, maybe around 11am to 11:30am when the food is nice and fresh.  Same applies to Wholesome Choice market hot foods.

p.s.  if you dine at celebrity soul food buffet, ask the guy who's always walking around trying to clean your table if the kitchen is cooking anything fresh, like fresh batch of pork chops or fried okra (which never makes it to the hot table).

OCgasman said:
I get my fried chicken fix at BBQ Chicken in Diamond Jamboree.

Have you tried Love Letter inside H Mart's food court?  Their fried chicken reminds me of the ones my mom makes.  Very tasty.

gaogi said:
OCgasman said:
I get my fried chicken fix at BBQ Chicken in Diamond Jamboree.

Have you tried Love Letter inside H Mart's food court?  Their fried chicken reminds me of the ones my mom makes.  Very tasty.

But personally I think it is too oily ..  Nothing beats BBQ chicken (a little pricier though)

Ate here last week and thought it was too pricey for a lunch buffet. $13.00 not including a drink. Most of the lunch buffets I go (Roundtable, Souplantation, etc) are around $8.00.

Back