Ceiling-mounted Lighting vs Floor Lamps

acpme_IHB

I noticed in most new homes, builder put recessed or some other for of ceiling lighting in the kitchens, dining rooms, and common areas such as hallways. In bedrooms and living/family rooms, no lighting is installed.

Is there any particular reason for this other than tradition, or for allowing people to use their own decorative floor lamps in the more personal rooms of a house? Any disadvantage to putting ceiling mounted lighting in all rooms, other than it's a bit boring?

<blockquote>Any disadvantage to putting ceiling mounted lighting in all rooms, other than it?s a bit boring? </blockquote>
Our decorator talked us out of installing ceiling lights in our bedrooms when we built our home in Mass. Bad mistake! We always regretted that decision because floor lamps and table lamps cannot give you the light compared to ceiling lights. We have rented two places in the past four years and my husband still complains about the lack of lighting. Ceiling lights will be installed when we buy our next house - even if it's so I don't have to listen to my husband complain about the lack of lighting. :)

Ideally, all rooms should have a variety of lighting. Ceiling mounted or recessed cans for general lighting; floor/table lamps/under cabinet lights for task lighting. Dimmer switches installed on the general lights is helpful, as your lighting requirements do vary. And of course, energy efficient bulbs such as compact flourescent bulbs should be installed in all of your lighting options.

The one tip I have heard, but have no experience with, is bathroom lighting at the sink / vanity. Rather than using overhead lighting, install the light bars to the sides of the mirror to reduce harsh shadows.

For the bedroom, we installed a ceiling fan with a light fixture. It's worked out pretty well. If you have a huge master, you might need two or more to get the light you need.

There are lighting consultants that will come to your house and tell you what would work best for each room. There are some pretty cool lighting gadgets out there.

<em>"The one tip I have heard, but have no experience with, is bathroom lighting at the sink / vanity. Rather than using overhead lighting, install the light bars to the sides of the mirror to reduce harsh shadows".</em>

Eva, you are so right ! Can't <em>tell</em> you how many times I think I've plucked my eyebrows properly, only to catch my reflection in a better lit room....and see how many I missed ! I have resorted to bringing a hand mirror out onto my patio and using natural sunlight to see 'em all ! My friend has one of those round lit magnifying mirror lights attached to the wall in her bathroom. Every time I go over, I run to check my brows ! (Gotta get one of those). :)

<blockquote>Every time I go over, I run to check my brows ! (Gotta get one of those). </blockquote>
I've been meaning to get one as well. Bed, Bath & Beyond has them. Use the 20% off coupon too.

Oh Troop... you have got try "threading" for your eyebrows... it's sooooo much better!

Waxing caused my eyes to be RED for about three hours following the waxing, but threading is awesome! No redness, perfectly shaped brows... they get all the ones we usually miss around the area. I go to a small Indian place here local... and it only costs $8. Totally worth it... sculpted, perfectly shaped brows...

In fact, you reminded me... I'm overdue to go in again! I better stop in there this week! ;-)

[quote author="Trooper" date=1212893636]<em>"The one tip I have heard, but have no experience with, is bathroom lighting at the sink / vanity. Rather than using overhead lighting, install the light bars to the sides of the mirror to reduce harsh shadows".</em>

Eva, you are so right ! Can't <em>tell</em> you how many times I think I've plucked my eyebrows properly, only to catch my reflection in a better lit room....and see how many I missed ! I have resorted to bringing a hand mirror out onto my patio and using natural sunlight to see 'em all ! My friend has one of those round lit magnifying mirror lights attached to the wall in her bathroom. Every time I go over, I run to check my brows ! (Gotta get one of those). :)</blockquote>

I like recessed lights in the ceiling that I can use energy-efficient bulbs with. The typical lights they install in master bed/bath is that "light bar" across the top of the mirrors by the sink, populated by 8-10 of those non-energy efficient 40W-60W clear bulbs. If you use the energy efficient bulbs it looks weird.

If I ever buy another new home, I'd have recessed lights installed in every room.

[quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1212910510]Oh Troop... you have got try "threading" for your eyebrows... it's sooooo much better!

Waxing caused my eyes to be RED for about three hours following the waxing, but threading is awesome! No redness, perfectly shaped brows... they get all the ones we usually miss around the area. I go to a small Indian place here local... and it only costs $8. Totally worth it... sculpted, perfectly shaped brows...

In fact, you reminded me... I'm overdue to go in again! I better stop in there this week! ;-) </blockquote>

Yeah, totally GITOC! Every time I get my back waxed, its red and itchy for hours! :) Will they thread me too?!

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1212928529][quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1212910510]Oh Troop... you have got try "threading" for your eyebrows... it's sooooo much better!

In fact, you reminded me... I'm overdue to go in again! I better stop in there this week! ;-) </blockquote>

Yeah, totally GITOC! Every time I get my back waxed, its red and itchy for hours! :) Will they thread me too?!</blockquote>

LOL! :lol:

Yikes! Ouch!

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1212928529][quote author="Girl In the OC" date=1212910510]Oh Troop... you have got try "threading" for your eyebrows... it's sooooo much better!

Yeah, totally GITOC! Every time I get my back waxed, its red and itchy for hours! :) Will they thread me too?!</blockquote>

!!!KELLY CLARKSON!!!

Years ago I got a floor lamp for my bedroom with a halogen bulb, puts out a ton of light.

Fast forward to 2008, CA has banned halogen bulbs (something about using too much energy). If you go to Lamps Plus you will only find floor lamps with conventional bulbs (e.g. compact fluorescent). These lamps put out much less light than the halogen ones.

i loved the old halogen torch lamps. look in the top every so often and you'll find tons of dead bugs in there fried to a crisp. dangerous as hell but provided damn good lighting. one of them could provide more than enough lighting for a large family room. can't seem to find a newer conventional bulb torch lamp that can do the job on its own.

acpmette goes to this indian eyebrow threading place in costa mesa. it's about 7-8 bucks and always crowded. its in the plaza where the sportmart is (which is where i go while waiting for her to get threaded.)

ipo - maybe mrs ipo can take two heavy ropes and just run them across your back?

[can't believe i contributed to the threading discussion...]

<em>ipo - maybe mrs ipo can take two heavy ropes and just run them across your back?</em>

omg, laughing my as* off !

[quote author="momtothree" date=1212970452]GITOC,

Can you please recommend your threader?

Huge thanks!</blockquote>

No problem!

Vinitas Beauty & Threading

13962 Newport Ave Ste A, Tustin, CA 92780

(714) 731-7380

One of my co-workers recommended them, and I've been very happy with the quality and price... only $6.99 for eyebrows... no appointment needed!

GITOC

[quote author="acpme" date=1213054339]i loved the old halogen torch lamps. look in the top every so often and you'll find tons of dead bugs in there fried to a crisp. dangerous as hell but provided damn good lighting. one of them could provide more than enough lighting for a large family room. can't seem to find a newer conventional bulb torch lamp that can do the job on its own.

acpmette goes to this indian eyebrow threading place in costa mesa. it's about 7-8 bucks and always crowded. its in the plaza where the sportmart is (which is where i go while waiting for her to get threaded.)

ipo - maybe mrs ipo can take two heavy ropes and just run them across your back?

[can't believe i contributed to the threading discussion...]</blockquote>

Hey, not all men can go from Halogen to threading in one post! :lol: It's the multifaceted acpme!!

Back