CDS market is $33 Trillion

Nude_IHB

<a href="http://www.dtcc.com/news/press/releases/2008/tiw.php?lpos=derivserv_lob_spot&lid=cds_misconceptions">The DTCC</a>

Do you believe it? It would seem to be the DTCC's word against the International Bank of Settlements.

[quote author="awgee" date=1225874938]Do you believe it? It would seem to be the DTCC's word against the International Bank of Settlements.</blockquote>
That depends on what the IBS is using as a standard; specifically, are they counting both sides of the same deal? If so, then their numbers should be roughly double.

The most comprehensive report on unregulated credit-default swaps didn't disclose bets in the section of the more than $47 trillion market that helped destroy American International Group Inc., once the world's biggest insurer.

A report by the Depository Trust and Clearing Corp. doesn't include privately negotiated credit-default swaps that insurers such as AIG, MBIA Inc. and Ambac Financial Group Inc. sold to guarantee securities known as collateralized debt obligations. It includes only a ``small fraction'' of contracts linked to mortgage securities, according to Andrea Cicione at BNP Paribas SA in London.

<a href="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=a0CcmxJQnS7A&refer=home">more on CDS</a>

Some info from the DTCC website:

DTCC is owned by its principal users ...

DTCC's 2008 Board of Directors will be made up of 21 directors, serving one-year terms. Seventeen directors are representatives of clearing agency participants, including international broker/dealers, correspondent and clearing banks, mutual fund companies and investment banks. Two directors are designated by the preferred shareholders, NYSE Euronext and FINRA, and the remaining two are the chairman and chief executive officer and the president of DTCC.

<p>

/

<p>

I dunno, is this another example of having the Wall Street foxes in charge of henhouse security?

[quote author="awgee" date=1226033316]I dunno, is this another example of having the Wall Street foxes in charge of henhouse security?</blockquote>
I think it's an effort to find the bigger fool and/or stop the bleeding. Unfortunately, I think the bigger fool is us.

Back