Carpet Research

lucky760

Nearing our close of escrow we've been dealing with lots of flooring vendors, most of whom are horrible or terribly over-priced. Keeping in mind we already had a specific carpet and tile pre-decided, here is a bit of a verbose list with notes of everyone we've dealt with:

• Tompkins Flooring (in Irvine; recommended by many on TI; friendly, attentive, and best prices around [on our specific carpet at least])
  • MAC Flooring (in Lake Forest; these people are the *best* to deal with; they went to the model and measured within hours of my phone call; priced thousands above Tompkins)
  • Colonial (in Garden Grove; friendly and inexpensive; could not acquire our desired carpet)
  • New York Carpet (in Anaheim; famous for being inexpensive; must select from whatever happens to be in their warehouse)
  • Home Depot (rated most inexpensive; no name brands; most [berber] carpet is low quality; limited selection; charges $50 for measuring)
  • Lowe's (rated 2nd most inexpensive; low quality berber; limited selection)
  • Michael's (out of HB; not overly friendly; they don't do tiles; too expensive)
  • LA Carpet (in Lake Forest; guy showed up 15 minutes late for first meeting; more than 30 minutes late for second meeting at which point we told him to take a hike)
  • Irvine Carpet & Flooring (in Irvine; flat-out refused to measure the model)
  • Universal Carpet (in Irvine; refused to measure model unless we came in first; set an appointment to meet; rearranged my schedule for it; the day came, phoned, and he had left work early)
  • Sterling Flooring (Anaheim; via Costco; these people are a NIGHTMARE; must avoid at ALL COSTS; after a month of the run-around and no callbacks they decided they didn't want my business; no idea why Costco gave them their contract)

One of the biggest problems we've had is that a lot of people refuse to measure the model. Others are willing to measure the model, but only after we've paid their store a visit in person. Other than that, some people just tend to be pushy jerks who act like they couldn't be bothered to take your money.

Anyhow, I hope it helps someone do their research. It's been quite a headache for us trying to find the right company.

Once you get the measurements, you can take the measurements to any other vendor.  Why should someone measure it for you for free so you can take it to any vendor you want? Perhaps you can use a contractor to measure for you.  No matter where you buy the carpet, he will be installing it, so he will do it for free.

zubs said:
Once you get the measurements, you can take the measurements to any other vendor.

That would make sense wouldn't it? The problem is you're thinking like a rational human being.

Most of the people I talked to either said they would have to use their own measurements or they would carefully avoid providing me their measurements. They seem to want to do whatever they can to not help you directly compare them with other vendors.

Cripe's sake, Sterling even measured the model twice themselves before they finally told me they refused to give me a quote without measuring our actual home instead of the model home. (I called Costco corporate,and the person in charge said she'd force them to give me a quote. They finally did and it was several thousands more than our highest quote elsewhere, pretty obviously because they were just complying with Costco, but really didn't want to sell us carpet. They even told us, "Costco told us to give you a quote," and that was the only reason they were going to do so.)

Most companies seem lousy with business because they have no problem telling you to shove off.

Great post lucky!

I believe Universal in Irvine has closed, but I think they are the same ownership as LA Carpet.

Not measuring the model makes sense to me considering that the actual home may vary based on options chosen. But if I were trying to get your business, I would try to accommodate your requests.

If you have to pay for measurements, I would make sure that you get a copy of them because you did pay for them. I would be willing to pay if I were shopping around.

We used NY Carpets, we did have to pay for the measurement (which would discounted from the invoice if we used them). They had the cheapest carpet (even though it was a second), great service and timely installation.

From your post, it sounds like you are going to use Tompkins... let us know.

P.S. How did ps9 and zovall do with Tompkins?

Focus on the cost per square foot or yard installed with padding.  The measurements should be about the same (some places will use slightly different scrap %s though). 

lucky said:
(I called Costco corporate,and the person in charge said she'd force them to give me a quote. They finally did and it was several thousands more than our highest quote elsewhere, pretty obviously because they were just complying with Costco, but really didn't want to sell us carpet. They even told us, "Costco told us to give you a quote," and that was the only reason they were going to do so.)
We're actually having the Costco-approved vendor install carpets for us next week Monday.  For us it's Shaw Flooring.  We bought our cabinets from Costco's vendor, and we had our Caesarstone installed through their 3rd part contractor.  I trust Costco to ensure satisfaction, and I thought we got fair/decent deals on the cabinets and countertops.  However, I think the Shaw price is sky-high, even considering the good quality of carpet/underlayment, and the experience level of the vendor.  We're paying just under $5500 for about 900 square feet.  We'll get a $500 Costco gift card as an incentive, plus whatever annual 2 or 3% Amex and exectutive member cash back we get...call it $5.50/square foot installed, round #s.  But I like Costco, the consultation went smooth and very professional, I did not want to take off from work again to get more quotes, and I wanted to get it done.  So Monday we'll see how it goes.

I just didn't like how they didn't own up to their scheduling issues, and to give so many excuses from the forman to the sales guy... It seemed they didn't take care of me.  I don't need excuses, just solutions.  I had to present the solution to them (10% off, reschedule my work) and they made it seem like it was my fault.  I remember the exact words from sales when I mentioned the discount, NO WAY.  I told him to call his boss and call me back and hung up.  We were pretty much at ulcer levels already and I hate people who make me lose my temper.  In the end the boss ok the 10% off and they installed two days later.

lucky said:
Most companies seem lousy with business because they have no problem telling you to shove off.

Most companies seem lousy with business because they are.  If they're easy to business with, it's because they're like MAC and gouging you so senseless they don't kissing your backside a bit.  If they're not, then  they basically are waiting for harried people to come through money at them to make some issue go away.

Since you guys are discussing carpet, I did have a question that I was hoping someone could answer regarding carpet pads.

I visited a few carpet places, including Tomkins, and was told that one of the key things to consider is the "upgraded" 8-lb carpet pad v. the 6-lb standard carpet pad. The carpet stores also had a premium carpet pad (it was pink in color), and we were told that, unlike the 6-lb and 8-lb pads, this pink pad would basically outlast your carpet itself.

For those of you who have bought carpet, have you opted for the standard 6-lb, the upgraded 8-lb, or something else? Has it made a big difference?

I think we did the one in the middle, one level up from basic.

Ours isn't a pile (I think ours was called cut berber), so you can't really go too high on the pad or else the seams would show more.

For our previous home we did that liquid repellent one with the coating on it... I think that was a bad call because it was a bit noisy... although it was easy to have cleaned because the stain didn't stay in the pad and keep coming up.

i came across this site when i was researching carpet/padding
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/pick-carpet-pad-24249.html

for padding it says the following:  Choose a residential carpet padding with a 6- to 8-pound density rating. Carpet padding with a density lower than 6 pounds is generally used in commercial real estate or in apartments where carpet is replaced frequently. Padding with a 6-pound density provides softer cushioning than padding with an 8-pound density. Opt for an 8-pound density rating if you want the firmest, sturdiest and longest-lasting option, which is especially useful in high-traffic areas. High-density padding reduces the likelihood of wrinkling in your carpet and is generally the most expensive.

we have 1/2" padding with a 7 pound rating. its pretty good combo of sturdiness/softness.  more on the firm side though if i had to pick.

Sterling Flooring (Anaheim; via Costco; these people are a NIGHTMARE; must avoid at ALL COSTS; after a month of the run-around and no callbacks they decided they didn't want my business; no idea why Costco gave them their contract)

They were people that Costco referred me to for hardwood.  Agree on the terribleness.  The guy never called me back and then never went out to measure the model or call me. 

Forgot to mention this yesterday, but one of the carpet stores that we met with was Carpets 4 U in Anaheim. I can't recall what carpet we ended up deciding on, but the gentleman who helped us was extremely patient and took the time to explain the different types of carpet, along with what makes certain carpets more expensive than others. Also, the price he quoted us was always with the 8-lb pad, which he said is the standard pad that they used, whereas Tomkins sold the 8-lb pad as a "free upgrade." The prices at Carpets 4 U was better than Tomkins, and given the initial customer service, we felt confident enough to go with them.

We haven't had the new carpets installed yet, but since Carpets 4 U has not been mentioned in this thread, I just wanted to give you guys another option to choose from.

I had no issue with Tompkins last year when I put in Carpet. We ended up buying pretty pricey carpet because my wife fell in love with the feel.  The person I spoke with even showed me less expensive alternatives that were very similar but my wife was set on the plush soft Stainmaster carpet they have a huge display for.

No issues a year later.

Have you guys considered Floor & Decor off the 55?  They have a huge showroom with hard flooring and other decor stuff.  They don't install but have a huge wall of cards where contractors leave their information.  If you ask one of the sales people they can direct you to people they seem to like.

The other one I am planning to use was given to me by a friend of mine who is a General Contractor:

ProSource
2342 Valencia Drive
Fullerton, CA 92831
714-773-9331

They only work with contractors, so I am pretty sure if you call them, they can recommend one for you.  They have all kinds of flooring from hardwood and laminate to carpet.

Danny

Back