Career Choices

Blue, I have to agree with Effenheimer.

Don't try to discourage your cousin. The reality of the field he wants to enter will do a better job than words ever could. And aside from learning a valuable lesson, the cost of that education is low. 6 weeks of real estate school, a few hours to pass the exam, and 6 months of trying to sell houses in this marketplace is a relatively cheap price to pay. After going 6 months without making a dime, he should start to realize that there is a relation between the value of a service provided and the money paid for that service.

Hey, RE agent dream isn't so bad. It's a lot easier to sell a house then earn a living as a pitcher in the major leagues (and all the other quick & easy money careers, like sports star, movie star, rock star, movie director etc. that kids usually think is quick & easy).

<p>I don't doubt any child's dreams and aspirations. A child who grows up without dreaming about their future is missing out on a big chunk of their childhood. But there is a fine line between having a desire to work hard for the things you earn in comparison to looking for the fast payoff and relative ease. His reasoning to become a realtor was wholy based upon the belief amongst his friends that realtors make better money, drive nicer cars, work less hours, and live in better homes than those who go through their traditional education and work diligently. His parents, for obvious reasons, gave him a nice long talk about his future and their opposition to his present aspirations on iladvised reasoning, but agreed to discuss his future more often. </p>

<p>In my view, easy money has always changed people for the worse. Lotto winners, people who inherit great amount of unearned wealth (such as real estate ), or children who have been spoiled all their lives do not seem to do well with their lives. Those who have worked hard to earn their wealth... I think you know where I'm going with this...</p>

<p>Blue, </p>

<p> I completely understand about that, my wife got a little inherientence and instead of using it for thrust herself into a GREAT position in the next few years, she completely blew it.... Well almost, but it saddened me very much and just strengthened my opinion that alot of people are not taught financial wisdom/responsibility/caution.</p>

<p>good luck</p>

<p>-bix</p>

i don't know about you guys, but a lot of my friends at uci ended up at medical, pharmacy, optometry, or dental school. one of them has very successful real estate agents as parents but still chose optometry for the job security. thus, for every kid who's not willing to invest in education, there's plenty who are.

i don't believe in spending beyond your means, but i don't want to be 60, living in a million dollar home, and watching chinese videos on the weekends for entertainment. i know of a very wealthy older couple who are just that.

i also have an uncle who is a doctor with a wife who is a dentist. i asked what they want their sons to be when they grow up, and their response is - "to be happy". yes, poverty sucks. overspending will bankrupt you. but being too financially conservative isn't too great either. one needs to work hard then find a happy medium in regards to spending.

i hate asians who work hard all their life, then spend a ton of money on plastic surgery and expensive jewelry when they're old. sheesh, live a little already.

<p><a href="http://www.lvrj.com/news/15834017.html">http://www.lvrj.com/news/15834017.html</a></p>

<p>Sources have been telling me that doormen at several clubs are clearing $8,000 to $10,000 a night before they share tips. So much cash is pouring in that some doormen are making $400,000 to $500,000 a year, several nightclub executives told me.</p>

<p>"Pure has guys at the door making more than the president," said one executive with intimate knowledge of the cover-charge system. He was referring to the annual salary of the president of the United States, which is $400,000, plus benefits.</p>

<p class="MsoNormal"> </p>

<p class="MsoNormal">Yeah, those door guys are making a killing especially at Pure and LAX. Last time I was there it cost $200 a piece + cover charge to avoid waiting in line. The rule is to avoid waiting in line at all costs. If you don’t pay them off you’ll never get in. The reason these guys make so much money is because the chicks that go to these clubs view the guys waiting in line hoping/trying to get in as losers. Unfortunately, that’s the reality both in Vegas and places here in the OC like Fury and Sutra. If your not on the list or don’t grease their palm, you’re not getting in period.</p>

Back