Car seats and Strollers

homer_simpson

Well, some of you may know that Marge and I are expecting a little Bart soon and I had some questions about Car Seats and Strollers.

I've seen the big brands: Peg-Preggo, Chicco, Britax, Graco, Recaro etc..

Are snap on/off car seats and into strollers more convenient?  Don't want to wake the baby up by unbuckling him out of the child seat..

Is there a specific brand you guys like and recommend?  I'm not too worried about price, I'm just more interested in the safety and convenience each offers. 

We used a Graco Snugride car seat and had a base in each car.  Our stroller is an Inglesina Zippy and the Graco Snugride fit in it just fine.  I did feel the snap in/out was convenient especially because the baby would frequently fall asleep during a car ride.

When our little one was about 10 months old, we replaced the Graco Snugride and bases with a Britax Boulevard/Pavilion in each car.

We used Peg Perego system: Viaggio Car Seat, two bases--one for each car, and a Vela Stroller. Car seat could easily move from base to stroller without unbuckling baby. The stroller was a better deal since it lasted us much longer than we used the car seat. But my all time favorite stroller is our Maclaren Volo--compact and only 8.8 lbs! Great for traveling.
http://us.pegperego.com/babyproducts-site/home/
http://us.maclarenbaby.com

Strollers have changed so much since our kids were in them.

The ones I like are the high ones where you don't need to break your back or knees to tend to the baby... I see those around and we didn't have those back then.

Like others have said... a system that allows you clip the seat into a car base and then also a stroller base is best.  The first few months you'll find yourself carrying that seat/cradle(?) around everywhere... esp if you eat out a lot.

I think we also used Peg Perego... expensive but very good. But even Gracos and the brands you see at BabysRUs are fine... although everyone recommends those  Italian sounding brands like they sell at Bergstroms.

All the major manufacturers have a travel system and are very safe.  Safety shouldn't be a deciding factor in choosing any of them, they're all safe.  Each manufacturer has their own indiosyncracies, but like cars, once you get used to them, it becomes automatic and you don't think about it anymore.  Choosing a carseat and stroller becomes more an issue of lifestyle.  Are either of you a jogger, then you'll want a Bob or equivalent and have a infant seat that's compatible.  Want to make a fashion statement, then maybe Bugaboo or Orbit is for you.  Want something different, maybe a Stokke is for you.  I understand that there are many choices, but remember, that they're more similar than different.  It's not like carseat and stroller technology changes every year like an iPhone.  Pick something you and wife like and don't perseverate.  Personally, I think it's insane to pay the prices of Bugaboo and Orbit, but have friends that used those systems.  However, those strollers and carseats were heavy, that gets old real fast.  Fwiw, we used a Graco Snugride and a Bob and when she outgrew the snugride, just put her in the Bob without the carseat.  The Bob is quite bulky, however.  Imho, I think a bassinet is completely useless and a waste of money.  One of the best, most useful strollers we used was a throw in umbrella stroller that we got for free...go figure.

bones said:
Closer to home, Bel Bambini in Newport also carries the higher end brands as well.
Doesn't the Bergstrom's right off Red Hill and Alton also carry the haughty brands too? Much closer to Homer... and you can check them all out too.

Once our kids got too big for the cradle seat thing (what is that called?), like OCGasman... the umbrella stroller became our most used accessory... even after the kids were walking. I think we went through 3 or 4 of them because the foot rest thing kept breaking but they were so cheap and easy to use.

Out of curiosity... has anyone used those strollers where the cradle is higher up? Looks convenient to me although I worry about the higher center of gravity and the "Suzuki Rollover" hazard.

irvinehomeowner said:
Out of curiosity... has anyone used those strollers where the cradle is higher up? Looks convenient to me although I worry about the higher center of gravity and the "Suzuki Rollover" hazard.
Infant car seat and stroller regulations are very stringent, not to mention the liability for the individual manufacturer.  If there was a problem, I think people woulda heard about it by now and recalls announced.  Although I've personally never used one, I'm sure the safety of those particular systems has been vetted extensively.  It's front page news when there's a major morbidity or god forbid, a mortality attributed to that particular stroller.

homer_simpson said:
That Bergstrom is closed IHO  :p
I always wondered how they were surviving in that location... it's so out of the way and in the middle of more industrial type businesses.

I guess you are stuck with the Anaheim location. :)

There was a major bloodletting of high end kid's stores during the downturn.  Bergstom's in Irvine, Right Start, Bundles and Bumps at the Camp in Costa Mesa, Babystyle, I'm sure I'm forgetting many...all went belly up.  I guess if it's a choice of paying the mortgage or getting a Gucci outfit for your baby, mortgage wins out.  Or sometimes mortgage doesn't get paid either.

bones said:
OCgasman said:
There was a major bloodletting of high end kid's stores during the downturn.  Bergstom's in Irvine, Right Start, Bundles and Bumps at the Camp in Costa Mesa, Babystyle, I'm sure I'm forgetting many...all went belly up.  I guess if it's a choice of paying the mortgage or getting a Gucci outfit for your baby, mortgage wins out.  Or sometimes mortgage doesn't get paid either.

That and you can get a lot of this stuff online @ cheaper prices.  I view these stores the same as I treat a Best Buy.  Go check out the product and find it online fro cheaper.  Story of brick and mortar shops.
I have to respectfully disagree.  If it's a major brick and mortar business like Best Buy or Barnes and Noble, then I understand buying online, but if it's a local independently owned business, then I think it's worthwhile to support the local business owner.  Yeah, you might pay more and definitely have to pay tax, but I really believe in supporting our neighbors that have opened a local store.

bones said:
OCgasman said:
bones said:
OCgasman said:

That and you can get a lot of this stuff online @ cheaper prices.  I view these stores the same as I treat a Best Buy.  Go check out the product and find it online fro cheaper.  Story of brick and mortar shops.
I have to respectfully disagree.  If it's a major brick and mortar business like Best Buy or Barnes and Noble, then I understand buying online, but if it's a local independently owned business, then I think it's worthwhile to support the local business owner.  Yeah, you might pay more and definitely have to pay tax, but I really believe in supporting our neighbors that have opened a local store.

I try to support local businesses when I can - which is why I suggested OC Tykes above in San Clemente.  It's a small business opened by a local mom.  But I mainly shop online for the convenience factor.  Sites like Amazon offer free 2-day shipping for prime members, 1-click purchasing and subscription services.  You really can't beat that.  It's hard for working families to drive all over town to buy things from different stores.
I understand, especially if you're an Amazon Prime user.

Here's my $.02

We got a Chicco Keyfit 30 Infant car seat

08b44d13.jpg
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3155366

Flexible unisex color, easiest car seat base to install (goes great with the black BMW).  Only negative is the price and also it does not have "clip" on to shopping carts (please do not put this car seat in the top part of shopping carts).  Otherwise, great car seat, served us well and if you don't know the sex of the child, it can go either way. 

Pair it with the Snap N' Go

6cdfb431.jpg
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12353532

We did not go with the full Chicco travel system due to weight issues...  Buying this generic car seat carrier is the better route to save time and energy.  We had a lot of friends who got travel systems and end up not using them due to weight/bulk issues..  Make sure it is easy for your wife to lug the stroller around on her own.. very important. 

When your baby has enough neck strength, you can switch to this light weight stroller....

daf7329d.jpg
http://www.britaxusa.com/strollers/blink

Not sure if still available, but it is a fairly generic stroller that alot of companies just slap their name on it.  Key features we like is that it can recline almost 180 degrees and light enough for my wife to handle on her own.  Make sure you check out this function, some versions of these strollers don't go all the way flat like the Britax.  It is an invaluable feature for us, we've enjoyed many restaurant meals because my kid can sleep well in this almost flat stroller. 

Also change out your car seat to a convertible one, Costco usually carry one for a good price.. should be forward facing now and just make sure it matches your car interior colors.. And try to put it in the middle of the back row.. safest place in the car.

We've been blessed with a child that can go from car seat to stroller without waking up.. your miles may vary..

we used the chicco travel system and were happy with it.  with the car seat in the stroller, you can pretty much block out all the light and our daughter would sleep for hours.  it isnt that light though but i felt it like it was pretty rugged and could withstand a lot.  we traveled with stroller and car seat across europe and it was thrown around quite a bit and is still fine

ps9 said:
We did not go with the full Chicco travel system due to weight issues...  Buying this generic car seat carrier is the better route to save time and energy.  We had a lot of friends who got travel systems and end up not using them due to weight/bulk issues..  Make sure it is easy for your wife to lug the stroller around on her own.. very important. 

i have to disagree with you here.  the generic carriers arent really designed for the car seats and never seem strong.  but then again like OCgasman said, they probably wouldnt have made it to the market if they were that bad

definitely give it a shot but i believe in a locking system thats designed to work together

rkp said:
ps9 said:

i have to disagree with you here.  the generic carriers arent really designed for the car seats and never seem strong.  but then again like OCgasman said, they probably wouldnt have made it to the market if they were that bad

definitely give it a shot but i believe in a locking system thats designed to work together

The Snap N' Go was pretty sturdy for us.. We're cityfolks.. as long as you don't take it off road.. you'll be ok.. It has a locking strap that goes across the car seat and it fits snug into the carrier..  And it is compatible with the graco and Chicco car seats (says so on the box).  Definitely more then enough to fight the hordes at your local Zion Market/Costco/Chick-Fil-A mobs...Again I stress the bulkiness of the travel systems.. Yes yes, baby comes first but up to a point, sometimes mom and dad need to dine at a nice restaurant with a stroller that can neatly fit into the corner (Snap N Go).  Try doing that with the tank (that's what I call the travel systems)..  Again everyone has their own experience... Make sure you're registered at a place with easy returns and exchanges... alot of trial and error..

Some of the European travel systems are pretty light.  The Maxi Cosi Mico seems to be popular among Europeans, and many strollers have adapters for them.  I have a Micralite stroller, which has the large pneumatic wheels in the back, but it's super light and very maneuverable.  We take it on the airplane when we travel, and it fits through the x-ray machines with no problem.  The only thing is that the basket underneath is a little small, and being light, it tips over if you pick up your baby but still have the diaper bag hanging on the handle.  We just got used to taking off the diaper bag first, or have something in the basket to prevent it from tipping when the baby's out of it.  My stroller came with a bassinet, but we stopped using it after a few months when our daughter was able to sit up.  Check out albeebaby.com, they sometime have coupons and sell "last season's colors" for cheap.

I'll 2nd the Chicco Keyfit.  Wonderful infant seat.  Easy in / out without waking.  Couple it with the pair stroller.  The stroller is awesome.  Collapses with one hand, folds fairly flat.  The infant seat rides in it.  When your child grows out of the infant seat, they ride in the stroller proper.  Room for your stuff.  Baby check, diaper clutch - check, two reuseable canvas bags of groceries - check.    Kid gets bigger,  lunch bag, diaper bag, clothes change bag, check, check, check and room for a shopping bag or so.

Oh yeah, ADJUSTABLE handle height.    Do you know how incredibly important adjustable handle height is?  It is.

Even our nanny likes the stroller.

For plane travel, get a Go-Go Babyz Travelmate. http://gogobabyz.com/product-i14550-c26-g6-b0-p0-gogo_Kidz_Travelmate_.aspx
It basically turns the car seat into a roller bag.  You walk your child right through the airport, onto the plane.  Pick it up, one clip off the wheels and strap the car seat into the plane seat. 

Easy peasy.

We got that when we moved our boy up from the infant seat to the Britax Marathon 70.  Another wonderful seat when you child get's larger.

Back