Car Advice

<p>Looked thru the thread and found the answer. Oops. In this type car when you see the light just pull over and turn it off. Thats what roadside assistance and AAA are for. Expensive lesson to learn. Major bummer . </p>

Honestly, I would have no idea that such immediate action was needed either. I would've thought driving to a gas station would be o.k.... wow. Now I know.

<p>No - went a few miles to an exit.</p>

<p>The light said "coolant temperature" - didn't realize that meant "coolant gone"!</p>

<p>Very little warning, if you ask me. </p>

<p>I would like to have known when it got low, not gone!</p>

<p> </p>

Irvine_Native -

For many years European cars came with no cupholders or tiny ones or flimsy plastic ones that seemed like they were purposefully designed to break off. This has been explained by the designers from several brands as a cultural difference between Europeans and Americans. Europeans don't believe in drinking in the car, they believe in concentrating on driving to a place where you can enjoy a drink in a relaxed atmosphere. It wasn't until years of continued pressure (and the fact that they sell huge numbers of cars here) from consumers that convinced European marquees to put larger "American-sized" cupholders in their cars.

I still don't have any cupholders in my Italian sports car.

Janet -

The used car values you can find in Edmunds.com or KBB or even the NADA guide tend to be too high and you won't be able to get those prices. At best, you could get somewhere between "trade-in" and "private party" prices as usually I find even the private party prices are higher than you could easily get (unless you're willing to put up with a long wait and lots of lookie-loos test driving your car). I agree that looking on craigslist.com or eBay are good ways of seeing going rates. eBay is especially good as you can see what cars have actually successfully sold for and sort by region if you want.

Bitserv -

Even F-cars depreciate, with some exceptions. Newer ones do appreciate for a few years if they aren't driven (as people with money but no access to ordering will bid them up) and "classic" F-cars are often worth astonishing amounts if they're kept in great condition or restored correctly. But the majority of F-cars don't fall into these categories and do end up depreciating, just not on the same curve as most cars.

<p>The radiator or overflow bottle failure was probably an "all of the sudden" event. The engine went from full coolant to no coolant in very little time. There's really no way to get an advance warning on something like this. </p>

<p>"I still don't have any cupholders in my Italian sports car. "</p>

<p>Finally... a clue. Well, that rules out Bentley convertible. </p>

<p>Hmmm... I vote Maserati! </p>

BTW - If you are looking for a reasonable mechanic for your car call Ray Lape @ Phillips Auto in Newport Beach 949- 756-1020. I have a 5 series with an extended warranty. He is very cool with telling me when BMW should fix it for free and whether he should do it. He has saved me a ton of money on things that he could have said were not under warranty.

<p>Pssh, the Mustang Sleeper has 2 cup holders... Unfortunatley they are RIGHT in the way of the shifter .</p>

<p>Besides I don't have any time to drink anything, 100% of the concentration goes to driving the car....</p>

<p>As for cars, aside from the automotive insanity in my sleepers, I usually get the cheapie cars. For the most part that's the only way I've been able to get the capital for the apartments now. Hopefully in the future we'll upgrade, but not anytime soon and not without alot of justification. For us we've been going with Hyundai's because of the long warrenty and the outstand bargin that you get.</p>

<p>OMG - I had to drive one at 17! Haha!</p>

<p>Yes, I'm old.</p>

Back