Capital Noodle Bar

ps9 said:
Ate here again today.  I'm very happy to have this kind of restaurant in Irvine.

I was there today too,  we might had bump into each other.

ps9 said:
BUT at least it's not ghetto like most teochew places I've been.  And it doesn't have any dead rodents in front of the restaurant ( :) Kim Tar)

Ha ha, this is the reason I hadn't visit Kim Tar for years.  Love the food but hate the place. 

Seems more like Vietnamese to me.

No steamed pork buns yet... said not until their grand opening in a week or so.

Feel bad for Ha Long next door, almost like a direct competitor.

irvinehomeowner said:
Seems more like Vietnamese to me.

No steamed pork buns yet... said not until their grand opening in a week or so.

Feel bad for Ha Long next door, almost like a direct competitor.

So what did you order?  Did you get the soup noodle with chinese donut?  Order the food on the wall pics, if its good enough to display, its good enough to order.  You didn't get cutsy's in front of kalbi did you? :)

Still no yelp reviews that I can find.  Kinda weird usually the reviews/complaints pop up opening day, soft open or not.  Unless yelp changed their policies.

We went at AARP time so no line.

Too hot to get the soup... went for the Filet Mignon Cubes and the Lemon Grass Chicken... I really like the tomato rice.

Wanted to try the Capital Bowl but maybe when it's cooler outside.

Finally tried this place and was a good experience. I was surprised to have immediate seating at 1pm on a weekday. Interior decor is modern and clean looking. Bench style seating in central area similar to Fukada. I do like the use of a bar area for those single/couple eaters.

I tried the Captial bowl with large rice noodles. I especially liked the fish cake. Wife had the Hainan chicken bowl and liked it as well. I will come back again and try out the other dishes.

My wife loved her dish.  I wasn't too thrilled with mine, but then I am not that into soup noodles besides pho.

The XLB were pretty good but they only provide four per order at ~$1 each.

The lemon iced tea has a flavor that is atypical of other places I have had it.  However, it's still good.  The price does reflect that you are in Irvine and not in the SGV.

Hainan chicken?  Savoy has killed my interest in trying this dish anywhere else.

I liked the decor and the waiters were nice.  (Two things that I don't really care about when eating Chinese food)

I would go back and try some dry noodles or another dish.

Well it beats being stuck on the 57/60 interchange driving to SGV, and it's much cleaner than Westminster/Santa Ana's Trieu Chau.  And they take credit card, that's unheard of in Teochew/Chinese restaurants

ps9 said:
Well it beats being stuck on the 57/60 interchange driving to SGV, and it's much cleaner than Westminster/Santa Ana's Trieu Chau.  And they take credit card, that's unheard of in Teochew/Chinese restaurants

I guess I am just a 99% restaurant lover where the service is quick, abrupt, and the floors are sticky. 

Here I am eating at my type of restaurant with a friend.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fmlXYd1cNg

Coleman said:
ps9 said:

I guess I am just a 99% restaurant lover where the service is quick, abrupt, and the floors are sticky. 

Guess you never had a cockroach crawl up to you on YOUR table near your chinese donut plate as you mow down your Trieu Chau noodles.  Never again.  Still sad to this day.  Cockroaches belong in the kitchen, not the customers TABLE.  It must mean the kitchen is overfilled with cockroaches and its spilling into the dining area. 

Got some Capital take out tonight, called in an order, told 15 minutes, it was ready when I got there in 10.  Capital bowl to go, instead of dumping the soup in the noodles, I ate it separately.  It was delicious.  I did scoop a few spoonfuls of soup to unclump the noodles.  The mild flavored egg noodle, with swigs on the flavorful soup was heavenly.  Yes the predominant celery flavor is still there, but I'm getting use to it.  Also got some beef chow fun and fried rice.  Decent, and will be perfect for lunch tomorrow.  Was told the siu mai will be taken off the menu, that was sad.  The guy I talked to kinda looks like Homer... you guys related?

I'll tell my brother you said hi.  Text me next time you go there I'll tell him to hook you up with the eggroll and dumplings combo. 

We'll be taking the Xiao Mais off the menu because they weren't up to par.

Pro Tip:

Even though FARMIE is down on his own peeps, he is so connected he can get you a hook up anywhere, even if it's not Asian (not sure how he does that).

I bet he can skip the line at DTF.

Back