Can someone tell me about the GATE program?

JoonB_IHB

I suppose I could research this on the IUSD website, but I wanted to also know if there are any parents whose kids are in this program? What percentage of each classroom is in the GATE program? Do any of you have 2 or more children, with some in the program, and some not in the program? What are your likes/dislikes of the program? If your child has struggled in the GATE program, do they kick them out?

I just wanted to hear what some of you think about the program.

Thanks!

I have been a GATE coordinator and a GATE teacher for years, although not in the IUSD. I can tell you that once your child is qualified as a GATE student, he or she will remain a GATE student. The school may request a meeting and ask that your child move to a standard class in one or more subjects (and this is usually in the child's best interest), but I would argue that you wouldn't be required to allow the school to move your child. By state Ed Code, the child's needs as a GATE student must be serviced (technically GATE comes under the heading of Special Ed). You also need to pay attention to how the child was qualified. In our district students are either placed under "high achievement" or "intellectual". The intellectual standing is definitely permanent. Years ago we call the high achievement placement "temporary" and it could be reevaluated but in recent years, when one is placed under either category, it is forever.

Back