Can lights

homer_simpson

Can someone recommend me a contractor or someone that can install can lights? Does anyone know how much it may cost per light?

Looking to installing some in our walk in.

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON - the contractor who did our home renovation has experience as an electrician. You may want to consider giving him a call.

His name is Kelvin Lee and his # is 562-991-4146.

Please do not use Bonafide Electric for anything.  Had an appointment to have them install lights in our walk in closet on Thursday and they couldnt make it.  Gave them another chance Saturday to come install and they "forgot" about the job/time. 

I will be using Handyman George recommended by Coleman, will provide feedback after completion.. :)

HOMEOWNER SIMPSON said:
Please do not use Bonafide Electric for anything.  Had an appointment to have them install lights in our walk in closet on Thursday and they couldnt make it.  Gave them another chance Saturday to come install and they "forgot" about the job/time. 

I will be using Handyman George recommended by Coleman, will provide feedback after completion.. :)

Some contractors can be so unprofessional. Make an appointment, keep the appointment, show up on time. If you cannot, give the courtesy and call. Pathetic. Glad you are going with someone else Homer!

I agree chairman.  Make an appointment, Keep it!! Sad thing is that he confirmed Friday night at 9PM for the next morning and still...  :mad:

Homer Mad, Homer Smash!!

irvinehomeowner said:
Reminds me of how some guy keeps saying he'll show up to basketball.  :mad:

Sshhhh! He doesn't have time -- it's his turn on WWF! No distractions, please.  :) I'm finally winning.

Farmmie... did you ever get this done?

I've been fielding quotes for this, one from an electrician, another from a light installation company and one more from a contractor.

The problem with the electrician, is if they can't get attic access (like a first floor), they will cut into your ceiling and won't patch, drywall or paint.

The light installation company, has a system where they are minimally invasive (sounds like a surgical procedure),don't cut into your ceiling, and will drywall and texture any holes (but you will have to paint).

I'm sure the contractor can do everything, but I'll see what he quotes.

Getting quotes for all over... and then will pick and choose depending on cost.

Basically, a den (for those who only have a Great Room, that's an extra space on the first floor that could be used as an office or a bedroom :) ), upstairs room(s) and possibly the living room. Also getting a quote for putting in a vented light in the bathrooms to help with extra moisture and obfuscating my throne appointments (TMI!).

Getting quotes for recessed lighting or fans.

#canningandfanning

Had a pretty good experience with Install My Lights in Irvine - they installed some canned lights and replaced the bathroom vanity lights.  They might not be the cheapest, but they do real good quality work and patch and texture any holes.

Install My Lights was the other one I got a bid from. They are the "minimally invasive" company that doesn't do too much cutting into the ceiling. I had talked to another contractor and he's planning to take down all the drywall to install the lights... bleh.

@jay:

So any cons with them?

irvinehomeowner said:
Install My Lights was the other one I got a bid from. They are the "minimally invasive" company that doesn't do too much cutting into the ceiling. I had talked to another contractor and he's planning to take down all the drywall to install the lights... bleh.

@jay:

So any cons with them?

The only issue I had with them was that I had asked for backlit switches, they didn't bring enough with them, and one of them was loose, so that was about it.  They fixed the problem pretty quickly.

I was pretty impressed with how little damage they did to the ceiling, and they patched and textured all of it.

Good luck!  Gobble gobble...

I am also looking to get recessed lights installed along with getting the popcorn ceiling removed. In the process of getting quotes. Probably also going to get ceiling fans installed in the bedrooms.

irvinehomeowner said:
Farmmie... did you ever get this done?

I've been fielding quotes for this, one from an electrician, another from a light installation company and one more from a contractor.

The problem with the electrician, is if they can't get attic access (like a first floor), they will cut into your ceiling and won't patch, drywall or paint.

The light installation company, has a system where they are minimally invasive (sounds like a surgical procedure),don't cut into your ceiling, and will drywall and texture any holes (but you will have to paint).

I'm sure the contractor can do everything, but I'll see what he quotes.

Got two quotes, one from Install My Lights and one from another lighting contractor(forgot the name)... Ended up going with IML.  Great work, minimal ceiling work needed... Fast, clean and courteous.

irvinephotographer said:
Has anyone done work with Install My Lights? What is the estimated price to get a room fitted with 4 recess lights?
If I remember right, each can is $85 if you are hooking up to existing wiring... if you are adding a new circuit (on/off switch) or want a dimmer option, it cost extra for those things.

Back