Can Irvine become too Asian?

This thread is extremely "racial".  I'm not saying RACIST.

Can you imagine if someone started a thread that asked.. "Is the City ______ too (Black, Hispanic, Jewish, White) ? ...

THAT'S NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

But to ask, is it tooo Asian.... Holy @#$@$#  yes.. the thought may pass your mind.. but to openly discuss this topic is demeaning to Asians!  And disrespectful..!

And to discuss it so "normally" and "casually" as though having too many Asians is some kind of "disease"...

The objectification of this ethnic group is INCREDIBLE.

Is a city NORMAL if it was 80% white?  80% hispanic?  or even 80% black..  80% Jewish?  But if a city or school is 60 to 80% Asian.. it's open season for questioning the racial mix?

Why is this? 

Why are Asians (a minority group) treated like a Super MAJORITY GROUP. 

Asians aren't white.  Asians don't get any special treatment in western society...

I'm not asking for any special treatment for "Asians"... but let's exercise some DECORUM!

And you "Asians" who are participating in this discussion like it's "funny" or "normal".. you guys are FOOLISH...

irvinexxx said:

Can you imagine if someone started a thread that asked.. "Is the City ______ too (Black, Hispanic, Jewish, White) ? ...

But to ask, is it tooo Asian.... Holy @#$@$#  yes.. the thought may pass your mind.. but to openly discuss this topic is demeaning to Asians!  And disrespectful..!

And to discuss it so "normally" and "casually" as though having too many Asians is some kind of "disease"...

Is a city NORMAL if it was 80% white?  80% hispanic?  or even 80% black..  80% Jewish?  But if a city or school is 60 to 80% Asian.. it's open season for questioning the racial mix?

Why is this? 

Asians aren't white.  Asians don't get any special treatment in western society...

I'm not asking for any special treatment for "Asians"... but let's exercise some DECORUM!

And you "Asians" who are participating in this discussion like it's "funny" or "normal".. you guys are FOOLISH...

Some Asian immigrants , depending on which country they came from ,  are hard converts into the right wing ideology .
Just as new converts to a religion are sometimes more radical than those born into it , you have the same effect here . Or maybe their parents or they escaped an oppressive regime to come here .

Maybe it makes them feel superior to the newcomers or gives them a sense of belonging I don?t know . But there is distinct lack of empathy compared to many whites you will encounter .

@irvinexxx - it could be worse. When a town is mostly Hispanic or black the question is: is the town to ghetto. Consider yourself lucky that the question is just whether Irvine is too Asian. Which it is by the way. Just like it used to be too white. Too much of a good thing, except hookers and cocaine, is never a good thing.

irvinexxx said:

Why is this? 

Decorum...that's funny.
This is the talk irvine where we put up pictures of dog BBQ.  It's better this way.  We should be allowed to write whatever we want.  It's better than hiding one's true feelings under the guise of civility.  Should we stop talking about all the Chinese moving into Irvine? 

Many people believe Irvine is too Asian.  It's a good topic.  Don't belittle people for discussing it here.

zubs said:
irvinexxx said:

Why is this? 

Decorum...that's funny.
This is the talk irvine where we put up pictures of dog BBQ.  It's better this way.  We should be allowed to write whatever we want.  It's better than hiding one's true feelings under the guise of civility.  Should we stop talking about all the Chinese moving into Irvine? 

Many people believe Irvine is too Asian.  It's a good topic.  Don't belittle people for discussing it here.

Agree

Given a choice between no debate and open but at times crude debate , i would rather have more debate . Sunlight is the best cure for any hidden issues that fester below the surface ...

Yes, a little bit.  I don't mind it so much as I do mind the lack of proper etiquette that some Asian immigrants are bringing with them from their home countries like their bad driving habits. 

I would prefer a good blend of demographics and some diversity, like a true melting pot.  It feels a little odd some times when I take a walk and I'm hearing more Korean or Chinese than English. 

A realtor once straight up told me that a lot of people were selling their homes and moving out of the neighborhood because of the "cultural shift" that is happening in the city.
That said, I hope Irvine doesn't turn into Arcadia or Alhambra...

qwerty said:
@irvinexxx - it could be worse. When a town is mostly Hispanic or black the question is: is the town to ghetto. Consider yourself lucky that the question is just whether Irvine is too Asian. Which it is by the way. Just like it used to be too white. Too much of a good thing, except hookers and cocaine, is never a good thing.

Bingo

consider your self lucky that rich ppl with money and who also value education want to move to your city .

Just go to other cities in many of the slow growth states where no one wants to move into and decay and rot sets in

Doesn?t mean we don?t hold the newcomers accountable for their actions . It doesn?t need to be an either / or choice

There's an interesting double standard that exists in this country.

Asians are treated like a Super Majority race, because of their relative success in education, career and business.

But when it comes to minority rights, they basically have NONE.

I dare anyone "objectify" blacks, hispanics or Jews w/ this kind of negative slant...

It doesn't happen in PUBLIC.

You will have HELL FIRE rain down on you by their representative groups and you will be labeled RACIST.

But why is this OK w/ Asians?  Funny double standard...

To openly discuss whether or not a city (Irvine) has too many Asians w/ THIS negative connotation is insensitive ... 

(Asians aren't white...they only make up about 7% of the US population).  But they are consistently MARGINALIZED.

Many thoughts occur to me... even this very thread's topic..... in fact many VILE things go through my mind.. but I choose not to speak them or discuss them.. because they shouldn't be said or entertained. 

Why do Ivy League Schools and UC Schools set quotas AGAINST Asians... in preference of other minorities and perhaps even FOR whites?

Why is this society allowed to crudely joke about negative Asian stereotypes w/o any blow back... but it's completely taboo to do so about Blacks, Hispanics and Jews... Why the double standard?

I ask some of you... WHAT IS THE "ACCEPTABLE" RACIAL MIX FOR IRVINE?  Can you give me that percentage mix? 

I know it can be a real bummer when your ONCE 80% white city of Irvine is now 50%+ Asian... I'm sorry it disappoints you...
.... But Asians aren't cancer.. and I don't appreciate them being spoken of as though they were... (implied)

Too many Asians in Irvine.
Too many Asians in Cupertino
Too many Asians in STEM
Too many Asians in our Universities
Ching chong ling long.. too many in our libraries...
..... I've heard it all and it's openly discussed.....

But where are the Asians in sports, the media, marketing depts, ceo roles, entertainment....? 

And when you say, Irvine is too Asian.. you are describing the worst stereotypes of being Asian - Poor driving, being rude, unfriendly etc.. etc... (mostly exhibited by recent immigrants, esp from Communist China).

Asians are teased for all their negative stereotypes, but given NO credit for their positive traits.. (Anything positive is just a "given"...)

... about the mainland Chinese:
1. Most of these immigrants are just learning to drive..
2. They come from a nation that's basically lost their culture due to the horrific Communist revolution.  They are just trying to regain their identity.
3. They are stepping into the 21st century after being stuck in the early 20th century for 60 years. (about)
4. They are children of parents and grandparents who just experienced some of the worst social/political disaster .. having survived a brutal communist regime, that's basically stripped them of their culture going back thousands of years.. (a very proud and rich culture)

Even many of the recent Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese immigrants ARE JUST LEARNING TO DRIVE...
        ... they had a great public transport system.  Exactly what many of you probably want for this city...

So cut them a break...

This isn't about politics, about being on the left or right... 

This is about an insensitive double standard that objectifies Asians unfairly.

What we need is to pressure Hollywood Studios (and other movie makers around the world) to stop making movies making Asian males look like wimpy nerdy geeks or flying kung fu masters.  We need to be portrayed as strong, athletic, good looking, romantic males etc that our Caucasian friends have benefited from for 100+ years.  The power of media influence and how a certain race/ethnicity is portrayed can not be overlooked.  We need more Asian males in dominate business, political and romantic roles.  This is the only way to stop negative stereotypes. 

Don?t let little things bother you. Let it go and move on.

irvinexxx said:
There's an interesting double standard that exists in this country.

Asians are treated like a Super Majority race, because of their relative success in education, career and business.

But when it comes to minority rights, they basically have NONE.

I dare anyone "objectify" blacks, hispanics or Jews w/ this kind of negative slant...

It doesn't happen in PUBLIC.

You will have HELL FIRE rain down on you by their representative groups and you will be labeled RACIST.

But why is this OK w/ Asians?  Funny double standard...

To openly discuss whether or not a city (Irvine) has too many Asians w/ THIS negative connotation is insensitive ... 

(Asians aren't white...they only make up about 7% of the US population).  But they are consistently MARGINALIZED.

Many thoughts occur to me... even this very thread's topic..... in fact many VILE things go through my mind.. but I choose not to speak them or discuss them.. because they shouldn't be said or entertained. 

Why do Ivy League Schools and UC Schools set quotas AGAINST Asians... in preference of other minorities and perhaps even FOR whites?

Why is this society allowed to crudely joke about negative Asian stereotypes w/o any blow back... but it's completely taboo to do so about Blacks, Hispanics and Jews... Why the double standard?

I ask some of you... WHAT IS THE "ACCEPTABLE" RACIAL MIX FOR IRVINE?  Can you give me that percentage mix? 

I know it can be a real bummer when your ONCE 80% white city of Irvine is now 50%+ Asian... I'm sorry it disappoints you...
.... But Asians aren't cancer.. and I don't appreciate them being spoken of as though they were... (implied)

Too many Asians in Irvine.
Too many Asians in Cupertino
Too many Asians in STEM
Too many Asians in our Universities
Ching chong ling long.. too many in our libraries...
..... I've heard it all and it's openly discussed.....

But where are the Asians in sports, the media, marketing depts, ceo roles, entertainment....? 

And when you say, Irvine is too Asian.. you are describing the worst stereotypes of being Asian - Poor driving, being rude, unfriendly etc.. etc... (mostly exhibited by recent immigrants, esp from Communist China).

Asians are teased for all their negative stereotypes, but given NO credit for their positive traits.. (Anything positive is just a "given"...)

... about the mainland Chinese:
1. Most of these immigrants are just learning to drive..
2. They come from a nation that's basically lost their culture due to the horrific Communist revolution.  They are just trying to regain their identity.
3. They are stepping into the 21st century after being stuck in the early 20th century for 60 years. (about)
4. They are children of parents and grandparents who just experienced some of the worst social/political disaster .. having survived a brutal communist regime, that's basically stripped them of their culture going back thousands of years.. (a very proud and rich culture)

Even many of the recent Korean, Japanese, Taiwanese immigrants ARE JUST LEARNING TO DRIVE...
        ... they had a great public transport system.  Exactly what many of you probably want for this city...

So cut them a break...

This isn't about politics, about being on the left or right... 

This is about an insensitive double standard that objectifies Asians unfairly.

If you are not an Asian male living in the USA, there is no way you could ever really understand. 

AA said:
What we need is to pressure Hollywood Studios (and other movie makers around the world) to stop making movies making Asian males look like wimpy nerdy geeks or flying kung fu masters.  We need to be portrayed as strong, athletic, good looking, romantic males etc that our Caucasian friends have benefited from for 100+ years.  The power of media influence and how a certain race/ethnicity is portrayed can not be overlooked.  We need more Asian males in dominate business, political and romantic roles.  This is the only way to stop negative stereotypes.

The problem is that Hollywood became too Jewish (white males) for this to happen.

Liar Loan said:
AA said:

The problem is that Hollywood became too Jewish (white males) for this to happen.

Since when is Jewish = White Male? 

Back