Calling IAC Renters - help me renegotiate

[quote author="OC Guy" date=1238736078]anyone get a quote at Santa Clara recently?</blockquote>

Hey OC Guy..are you looking to move there?

[quote author="optimusprime" date=1239159099][quote author="OC Guy" date=1238736078]anyone get a quote at Santa Clara recently?</blockquote>

Hey OC Guy..are you looking to move there?</blockquote>

Hey Optimus,

My lease expires in either June or July. I might be looking to move there before the move date. Wassup?

[quote author="bigmoneysalsa" date=1240279555]Just renewed at Oak Glen. My rent was reduced by 6.2% with a new 12 month lease.</blockquote>

Did you have to negotiate for that or was it automatic?

[quote author="Anonymous" date=1240280070][quote author="bigmoneysalsa" date=1240279555]Just renewed at Oak Glen. My rent was reduced by 6.2% with a new 12 month lease.</blockquote>

Did you have to negotiate for that or was it automatic?</blockquote>

I didn't have to do any negotiating. First they called and offered the same rent with no increase. I ignored all their calls and letters. Then they offered a smaller decrease. I continued to ignore them (my lease end was still about 6 weeks away). Finally they left me a voice message with an offer I liked, and I went in to renew the same day.

Just got the renewal notice from leasing office of Orchard Hills Apartments, they automatically reduced about 6% of my current rent for a 12-month-term lease. And found they are offering the same discount to my neighbor too. It sounds pretty good deal but it could because my current lease which ends in May is too high. I'm paying $2135 for plan F in pets location.

Just got an offer for $14 bucks off a month and $1000 off our first month of rent. So basically that equates to around $97 a year. This is at the Village.

[quote author="OC Guy" date=1239952184][quote author="optimusprime" date=1239159099][quote author="OC Guy" date=1238736078]anyone get a quote at Santa Clara recently?</blockquote>

Hey OC Guy..are you looking to move there?</blockquote>

Hey Optimus,

My lease expires in either June or July. I might be looking to move there before the move date. Wassup?</blockquote>

Free money LOL check your PM

[quote author="OC Guy" date=1240366913]Just got an offer for $14 bucks off a month and $1000 off our first month of rent. So basically that equates to around $97 a year. This is at the Village.</blockquote>
Weak effort on their part...you got the sister building opening up in the fall...they should give you at least $100 off each month plus $1000 off the first month. Are they asking you to sign a 12-month lease?

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1240373848][quote author="OC Guy" date=1240366913]Just got an offer for $14 bucks off a month and $1000 off our first month of rent. So basically that equates to around $97 a year. This is at the Village.</blockquote>
Weak effort on their part...you got the sister building opening up in the fall...they should give you at least $100 off each month plus $1000 off the first month. Are they asking you to sign a 12-month lease?</blockquote>

More like no effort on my part, I don't like the Village and am moving to Santa Clara.

Well I renewed for another year over the weekend at Quail.

$ 190.00 less per month. $ 500.00 off for the first month.

Got them down an extra $ 100.00 when they just happened to post a

Craigslist of my exact model just a couple days before I signed.

Its still a $ 150.00 less a month if I had moved to Portola.

But moving sucks and I was not that impressed with moving out

to Portola. Maybe once its built out it will be more appealing.

Its obvious the IAC is willing to negotiate. And once the "Park"

at the Spectrum is opened. I just think its going to be even tougher for them to

find tenants that can afford the high rents they charge.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1241478762]Well I renewed for another year over the weekend at Quail.

$ 190.00 less per month. $ 500.00 off for the first month.

Got them down an extra $ 100.00 when they just happened to post a

Craigslist of my exact model just a couple days before I signed.

Its still a $ 150.00 less a month if I had moved to Portola.

But moving sucks and I was not that impressed with moving out

to Portola. Maybe once its built out it will be more appealing.

Its obvious the IAC is willing to negotiate. And once the "Park"

at the Spectrum is opened. I just think its going to be even tougher for them to

find tenants that can afford the high rents they charge.</blockquote>

Which unit type?

[quote author="bigmoneysalsa" date=1240281952][quote author="Anonymous" date=1240280070][quote author="bigmoneysalsa" date=1240279555]Just renewed at Oak Glen. My rent was reduced by 6.2% with a new 12 month lease.</blockquote>

Did you have to negotiate for that or was it automatic?</blockquote>

I didn't have to do any negotiating. First they called and offered the same rent with no increase. I ignored all their calls and letters. Then they offered a smaller decrease. I continued to ignore them (my lease end was still about 6 weeks away). Finally they left me a voice message with an offer I liked, and I went in to renew the same day.</blockquote>

Can anyone comment on how guest parking is at Oak Glen? I'm looking for a 2bd/2bt place right now and Oak Glen seems to have pretty affordable rent.

What is IAC doing about the lease break fee? Are they negotiable with that? Mine is $2,800 and when my lease comes up for renewal I want to get it down to no more than one month's worth of rent.

[quote author="usctrojanman29" date=1242050411]What is IAC doing about the lease break fee? Are they negotiable with that? Mine is $2,800 and when my lease comes up for renewal I want to get it down to no more than one month's worth of rent.</blockquote>

USC.

They tried to double mine to $ 3600.00 at last years resign. I told them I never agreed

to that in the negotiation for renewal. They responded that IAC wanted everyone to be

at $ 3500.00 +. When I balked on signing they reduced back to $ 1800.00.

And thats what mine is at as of the new renewal this month.

I would think EVERYTHING is negotiable with IAC these days.

While I was renewing last week I talked with the manager for about 20 Minutes.

She indicated that the turnover was one thing that was concerning. Vacancies

still not that high. But lots of people moving out that lost jobs and lots of new people

coming in that lost homes with questionable credit.

I would just like to pass on some information I recently learned from an IAC leasing consultant that I spoke to. Apparently now the IAC referral fee amount of $500 is the same whether the source of referral is a resident in the complex OR a Realtor. (It used to be less if the referral was from a Realtor.) I believe this info may come in very handy to a potential renter, especially one who would like...um... a referral... from a Realtor. :) If I rent somewhere else again, I would definitely choose this over using a referral from somebody I only know as an acquaintance.

Well, it's been a year since I started this thread and that means it's time to renew the lease again! It's not up until the end of next month but as of now - it looks like we will give it... one... more.... year.

I have heard lately that IAC is not being as negotiable with the rent. So, I was thinking of trying another approach. Has anyone ever prepaid their IAC rent? I would like to front a year's rent in cash for a sufficient discount (I haven't defined yet what "sufficient" would mean but if it's a discount off the current rate more than the 2% interest it's currently making, then hey - we're good!) I figure this works for private party rentals, so why not try it with IAC. I haven't asked them about this yet but will call today or tomorrow. I wonder if anyone has a story to share here so I get a feel of what to expect.

Back