Calling IAC Renters - help me renegotiate

Just got my renewal notice. Although my neighbors who renewed a few months ago got their rent down by $200+, our rent is going to be the same. Month to month option brings the rent up by another $300(!)

[quote author="kayochan" date=1259038390]Just got my renewal notice. Although my neighbors who renewed a few months ago got their rent down by $200+, our rent is going to be the same. Month to month option brings the rent up by another $300(!)</blockquote>
Not surprising, IAC did not even try to negotiate with me. I remember seeing a lot of incentives that they were offering for several communities through the end of Sept but when we got into October those incentives all but disappeared. I could give a crap less because I'm paying 1/2 the cost of what my monthly rent + utility cost when I was renting at Quail Meadows by living in a large condo in Woodbridge with the owner.

[quote author="kayochan" date=1259038390]Just got my renewal notice. Although my neighbors who renewed a few months ago got their rent down by $200+, our rent is going to be the same. Month to month option brings the rent up by another $300(!)</blockquote>

They're looking to raise mine... about $200/mo more than we currently pay.

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1259061218]when you lease is up, just give a (fake) 30 day notice, that will help you negotiate a better rate...</blockquote>
RC, that didn't work all that well with me. The manager called me once and that was it and it almost seemed like a forced call (mind you I was on auto-debit for my monthly rent payments and only called them once to replace my fridge that crapped out on the 3rd month).

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1259061218]when you lease is up, just give a (fake) 30 day notice, that will help you negotiate a better rate...</blockquote>

Sorry you can't because you are religious and people are more critical of your action than the rest of us. The way you conduct yourself is an important testimony for your religion.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1259063579]<strong>If you do end up moving out,</strong> dont forget to stick it to them with any noncompliance with rental law. :) Fill out the form when you are close to leaving where it allows you to indicate that you want the pre-move out walk-through inspection. Its supposed to give you an opportunity to remedy any situation you might be charged for. If they dont come, or if they dont document everything, you cant know whats wrong (in theory), and so the law prevents them for charging you those things after you leave! ha ha!

We did that (above) and they never called or showed up for an inspection! We got only some of our deposit back a couple weeks later. A quick letter citing the civil code and 2 weeks later... 300 dollars back. :) Granted, dont push it if you abuse the system. We left that place <em>spotless and scrubbed</em>. They just tried to stick us with that whole "we have to repaint for anyone who lives here more than 4 months" BS and an unnecessary "general cleaning" fee.

<strong>Regarding you attempt to negotiate,</strong> we had good luck in extending the terms of our ongoing contract (skipping the month to month rate, something they "never ever do") by walking in there. When I called, I talked with them, told them my situation (how i wasnt just moving to another apt, but had bought a house which was being constructed, etc), that I had been a perfect tenant, etc. I even walked down there to talk to them a few times. Show your face. Be a real person to them. They have a lot of power/sway and its easy to make it "all business" and be jerks when they dont really know you.

Now go! get down there and chat them up!</blockquote>
So now you tell me about that little legal secret. They got $200 of my $300 deposit. Anyhow, I guess looking back on it I really made no effort to show my face over there and I was already "checked out" and on the search for a room to rent.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259062615][quote author="roundcorners" date=1259061218]when you lease is up, just give a (fake) 30 day notice, that will help you negotiate a better rate...</blockquote>

Sorry you can't because you are religious and people are more critical of your action than the rest of us. The way you conduct yourself is an important testimony for your religion.</blockquote>

Dang it... you might be right BK... that was my plan all along... this is exactly why I need accountability in my life; some of the things I come up with are pretty crazy to say the least!

BTW, we know ALL(management, maintenance, leasing) the Woodbury Court workers; the wife and I talk to the leasing office almost every other day... they are in essence your built in neighbors... I know their kids names, where they live, which church they go to; we often times have long conversations during their down times.. I hope that will account for something when the times comes...

[quote author="roundcorners" date=1259065461][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259062615][quote author="roundcorners" date=1259061218]when you lease is up, just give a (fake) 30 day notice, that will help you negotiate a better rate...</blockquote>

Sorry you can't because you are religious and people are more critical of your action than the rest of us. The way you conduct yourself is an important testimony for your religion.</blockquote>

Dang it... you might be right BK... that was my plan all along... this is exactly why I need accountability in my life; some of the things I come up with are pretty crazy to say the least!

BTW, we know ALL(management, maintenance, leasing) the Woodbury Court workers; the wife and I talk to the leasing office almost every other day... they are in essence your built in neighbors... I know their kids names, where they live, which church they go to; we often times have long conversations during their down times.. I hope that will account for something when the times comes...</blockquote>

It is very difficult to live and conduct yourself with a good testimony. Everyone here including me are very critical of you and PANDA's action because you are both very religious based on your posting and your understanding the depth of your religion. People will remember the one thing that you did that shame your God and forget the thousands of things you did to glorify His name.

Being a Christian is not about being perfect; actually far from it. Being a Christian is to openly admit that we are simply jacked-up people... we're essentially misfits and screw-ups... we need our God because we understand how missed-up we are and each other to get through this life... that is why we glorify His name, not because we're so holy, it is because we know how he takes broken people and reconciles us. I know I'll screw up time and time again, I'm not afraid to admit it, and I'll keep sharing, and posting and being authentic... I'll also be quick to be humbled, convicted, ask for forgiveness and stand corrected than to appear "perfect"...

Is there something inherently more valuable about Serrano than, say, Las Palmas (less than 1 block away)? For example, is Serrano in a better school district?

My lease is expiring soon, and while my renewal letter did come with a $5 decrease in monthly rent (hey, at least it didn't go up!), I'm seeing the same size 1bd/bth floorplan rent for $200 less at Las Palmas. I don't expect an exact price-match, but a $100/month discount would be enough for me to avoid the hassle of relocating.

Back