California Special Election

IACRenter_IHB

So with the California Special Election coming upon on us on Tuesday, May 19th, what do IHB members think?

If you need a refresher on the 6 propositions A-F here is a link:

<a href="http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/">http://www.voterguide.sos.ca.gov/</a>

No on all but F.

Oh but wait.

The Fire Fighters Union says we will die if we dont accept their demands.

Guess we are all going to burn in hell cause these Propositions have.

NO CHANCE IN HELL of passing.

Guess the CalPers whiners are going to be taking a hit like the rest of us have.

Welcome to reality boys and girls.

I don't think any of the props have much chance of passing except F.

According to an<a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-budget15-2009may15,0,6045334.story"> LA Times article today</a>, even if the measures all passed California will still be short billions of dollars in the upcoming budget.

Get ready for some interesting times ahead in Sacramento and across our state. The anger of Californians pushed to the brink of economic meltdown is upon us.

The <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/teacher-protest-1.html">protesting teachers</a> in LA County are only the beginning. There is already a petition going around to <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/gov-arnold-schwarzenegger-is-having-a-difficult-year-what-with-multi-billiondollar-deficits-and-foundering-ballot-measure-c.html">recall Gov Schwarzenegger</a>. As our tax rates rise and essential services are cut and state workers are laid off, there will be more po'd Californians.

Maybe California will get bailed out just like the banks. We could sure use a few extra billion dollars from Obama. The federal government likes to reward bad behavior, the worse the offense, the more the money you get--CitiGroup, AIG, GM, and the list goes on and on. So why shouldn't California get some too? Our state government has shown extreme poor management of the money we gave them, so that should qualify us for double federal compensation. Heck, we already paid for it with our taxes and our children's future inheritance/tax burden.

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1242465058]I don't think any of the props have much chance of passing except F.

According to an<a href="http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-budget15-2009may15,0,6045334.story"> LA Times article today</a>, even if the measures all passed California will still be short billions of dollars in the upcoming budget.

Get ready for some interesting times ahead in Sacramento and across our state. The anger of Californians pushed to the brink of economic meltdown is upon us.

The <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/teacher-protest-1.html">protesting teachers</a> in LA County are only the beginning. There is already a petition going around to <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/gov-arnold-schwarzenegger-is-having-a-difficult-year-what-with-multi-billiondollar-deficits-and-foundering-ballot-measure-c.html">recall Gov Schwarzenegger</a>. As our tax rates rise and essential services are cut and state workers are laid off, there will be more po'd Californians.

Maybe California will get bailed out just like the banks. We could sure use a few extra billion dollars from Obama. The federal government likes to reward bad behavior, the worse the offense, the more the money you get--CitiGroup, AIG, GM, and the list goes on and on. So why shouldn't California get some too? Our state government has shown extreme poor management of the money we gave them, so that should qualify us for double federal compensation. Heck, we already paid for it with our taxes and our children's future inheritance/tax burden.</blockquote>
I'm voting against all those damn props. Screw the gov't workers, let them feel the pain that the rest of us have in the real world. Let them protest all they want, hell they are probably more productive protesting than they are working.

OBAMA give us your BILLIONS!

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1242465058]

The <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/teacher-protest-1.html">protesting teachers</a> in LA County are only the beginning. There is already a petition going around to <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/gov-arnold-schwarzenegger-is-having-a-difficult-year-what-with-multi-billiondollar-deficits-and-foundering-ballot-measure-c.html">recall Gov Schwarzenegger</a>. As our tax rates rise and essential services are cut and state workers are laid off, there will be more po'd Californians...</blockquote>

The 1st thing that needs to go are *ALL* of the pension plans. They need to be converted to 401K plans with a liberal (4-6%) match by the state. It is insane having people retire in their early 50s with 90% of their juiced last three years salary, plus full health benefits and COLA adjustments.

It'll come down to one of three things: across the board 15% staff cuts, State default, or a bailout.

It may take several years of tax increases to get there though as tax increases will kill any economic recovery. And if the tax increases don't get them, at the slightest hint of a economic recovery, oil prices and gas prices will kill it. You've already seen that, a hint that it might be bottoming and oil and gas rocket. With a real recovery, how fast will gas hit $4/gal? kiss that recovery goodbye.

Our new state motto: <a href="http://www.economist.com/world/unitedstates/displayStory.cfm?story_id=13649050&source=hptextfeature">The Ungovernable State</a>

When I returned from working in D.C., I was very annoyed by my friends who would insist upon initiating political conversations with me or complain about this candidate or that candidate, only to later disclose that they either weren't registered voters or didn't bother to show up to the polls on election day. Fast-forward a few years and I find myself very apathetic about this special election. I've asked myself such questions as: What is the point? Is it really going to make a difference?

Anyway, I didn't vote in this poll because I don't know how I'm going to vote yet. This state is f!%ked.

[quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1242468942][quote author="IACRenter" date=1242465058]

The <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/teacher-protest-1.html">protesting teachers</a> in LA County are only the beginning. There is already a petition going around to <a href="http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/gov-arnold-schwarzenegger-is-having-a-difficult-year-what-with-multi-billiondollar-deficits-and-foundering-ballot-measure-c.html">recall Gov Schwarzenegger</a>. As our tax rates rise and essential services are cut and state workers are laid off, there will be more po'd Californians...</blockquote>

The 1st thing that needs to go are *ALL* of the pension plans. They need to be converted to 401K plans with a liberal (4-6%) match by the state. It is insane having people retire in their early 50s with 90% of their juiced last three years salary, plus full health benefits and COLA adjustments.

It'll come down to one of three things: across the board 15% staff cuts, State default, or a bailout.

It may take several years of tax increases to get there though as tax increases will kill any economic recovery. And if the tax increases don't get them, at the slightest hint of a economic recovery, oil prices and gas prices will kill it. You've already seen that, a hint that it might be bottoming and oil and gas rocket. With a real recovery, how fast will gas hit $4/gal? kiss that recovery goodbye.</blockquote>

The chances of CalPERS going away is exactly zero, budget crisis or no budget crisis. For one thing, it is protected by proposition 162, passed in 1992. 15% staff cuts or a bailout (or a combo-7% staff cuts and a partial Federal bailout) are the likely outcomes.

[quote author="Geotpf" date=1242543171][quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1242468942][quote author="IACRenter" date=1242465058]

The <a href="http://latimes.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/teacher-protest-1.html">protesting teachers</a> in LA County are only the beginning. There is already a petition going around to <a href="http://latimes.latimes.com/lanow/2009/05/gov-arnold-schwarzenegger-is-having-a-difficult-year-what-with-multi-billiondollar-deficits-and-foundering-ballot-measure-c.html">recall Gov Schwarzenegger</a>. As our tax rates rise and essential services are cut and state workers are laid off, there will be more po'd Californians...</blockquote>

It may take several years of tax increases to get there though as tax increases will kill any economic recovery. And if the tax increases don't get them, at the slightest hint of a economic recovery, oil prices and gas prices will kill it. You've already seen that, a hint that it might be bottoming and oil and gas rocket. With a real recovery, how fast will gas hit $4/gal? kiss that recovery goodbye.</blockquote>

The chances of CalPERS going away is exactly zero, budget crisis or no budget crisis. For one thing, it is protected by proposition 162, passed in 1992. 15% staff cuts or a bailout (or a combo-7% staff cuts and a partial Federal bailout) are the likely outcomes.</blockquote>

Never say Never.

Your analysis is similar to that of my Ex Wife. "I still have checks so I am going shopping". The simple concept that there is NO MONEY just is not sinking in.

Federal Bailoout ?. I think not.

The State is about to lose its credit rating and is going to be unable to borrow any more funds. Its going to become insolvent. I guess you can barter with those IOU`s they will be sending out. The PEOPLE of the State of California will vote and speak their minds on Tuesday. Our State Government is about to get a serious haircut.

The BLOATED California Employee Pension System is soon to be a dinosaur of the past.

Speaking of Calpers.... you all probably already know this already, but I didn't until recently.... it is awarded even to part-timers (in the school districts, anyway.) I was very surprised by that.

Sometimes people seem to conveniently leave out the fact that we put 8% of our salary into our Pension program. This is not a choice, that 8% has been taken from my paycheck for the last 20 years. The money I put into Social Security prior to that is money that I will never see, unless legislation is passed, although I haven't been holding my breath for that one. All CALPERS pensions are not created equal also. I hope that those who keep saying that we can retire at 50 with 90% of our salary would take this into account. I think I'd have to work until I was 80 to receive that kind of benefit as a teacher. I guess I'm not surprised that no one complains about our pensions and salaries until times get tough for them. No one was crying that teachers should make more when they were earning salaries that far outmatched mine, now that reality has set in and the market has crashed, everyone's complaining that teachers make too much. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242612406]Sometimes people seem to conveniently leave out the fact that we put 8% of our salary into our Pension program. This is not a choice, that 8% has been taken from my paycheck for the last 20 years. The money I put into Social Security prior to that is money that I will never see, unless legislation is passed, although I haven't been holding my breath for that one. All CALPERS pensions are not created equal also. I hope that those who keep saying that we can retire at 50 with 90% of our salary would take this into account. I think I'd have to work until I was 80 to receive that kind of benefit as a teacher. I guess I'm not surprised that no one complains about our pensions and salaries until times get tough for them. No one was crying that teachers should make more when they were earning salaries that far outmatched mine, now that reality has set in and the market has crashed, everyone's complaining that teachers make too much. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine.</blockquote>
I think the solution is to raise salaries a bit for teachers and some of the underpaid civil servants and get rid of the pension and annuity payments.

[quote author="tmare" date=1242612406]Sometimes people seem to conveniently leave out the fact that we put 8% of our salary into our Pension program. This is not a choice, that 8% has been taken from my paycheck for the last 20 years. The money I put into Social Security prior to that is money that I will never see, unless legislation is passed, although I haven't been holding my breath for that one. All CALPERS pensions are not created equal also. I hope that those who keep saying that we can retire at 50 with 90% of our salary would take this into account. I think I'd have to work until I was 80 to receive that kind of benefit as a teacher. I guess I'm not surprised that no one complains about our pensions and salaries until times get tough for them. No one was crying that teachers should make more when they were earning salaries that far outmatched mine, now that reality has set in and the market has crashed, everyone's complaining that teachers make too much. Sorry, just a little pet peeve of mine.</blockquote>

Thanks for addressing this; I was waiting for somebody to address it in the CALPERS thread. I'm not a teacher, but I have many friends who are. I'm surprised that teachers have been cast in the same light as some of the other folks who have CALPERS pension plans, particularly those in administrative positions making 2 or 3 times what teachers make. Most of my friends who are teachers are extremely bright people who excelled in high school, college and graduate school. They are teachers because they are passionate about teaching, and they are poorly compensated for their services when the value of their services is compared to other industries (i.e., realtors). Let's remember that teachers are not pulling in the extra $100K in overtime every year, and let's remember that participation in CALPERS is not an option. Teachers generally don't get SS, they get CALPERS. For those of you who include teachers as part of the group of retired CALPERS participants raiding the State's coffers, I ask you this: Are you aware that the state of education in this country is considered to be a National Security issue? It was a National Security issue under the Bush adminstration, too, so let's not jump to party politics.

Anybody else vote on this today ? It was so quiet at my Polling Place.

It is too bad the Teachers will get thrown to the wolves with all the other State Employees and their Unions. But the California Taxpayers are NOT going to take any more on our shoulders. State Govenment and its Employees must cut back or we will just let this state

go into default. Todays vote will be an example of public sentiment

NO MORE BORROWING. NO MORE TAXES. Or time to move to Nevada.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1242789165]Anybody else vote on this today ? It was so quiet at my Polling Place.

It is too bad the Teachers will get thrown to the wolves with all the other State Employees and their Unions. But the California Taxpayers are NOT going to take any more on our shoulders. State Govenment and its Employees must cut back or we will just let this state

NO MORE BORROWING. NO MORE TAXES. Or time to move to Nevada.</blockquote>
I voted...no across the board. Sure teachers don't get paid that much in general, but what other profession do you get 3 months off from work and a fat pension? Time for the public servants to take some cuts like the rest of us folks in the real world.

[quote author="bltserv" date=1242789165]Anybody else vote on this today ? It was so quiet at my Polling Place.

I just voted. My polling place was empty. I guess that 25% voter turnout might be overly optimistic.

All the measures will fail except F. Then we can get ready to see Arnold's draconian cuts to start taking effect and see the number of signatures on his recall petition skyrocket. The people will speak today but things will get even uglier in the months ahead.

I predict even more taxes and layoffs for California, plus a quick plead for a federal bailout. Time to start looking for a job in TX or FL.

[quote author="IACRenter" date=1242795359][quote author="bltserv" date=1242789165]Anybody else vote on this today ? It was so quiet at my Polling Place.

I just voted. My polling place was empty. I guess that 25% voter turnout might be overly optimistic.

All the measures will fail except F. Then we can get ready to see Arnold's draconian cuts to start taking effect and see the number of signatures on his recall petition skyrocket. The people will speak today but things will get even uglier in the months ahead.

I predict even more taxes and layoffs for California, plus a quick plead for a federal bailout. Time to start looking for a job in TX or FL.</blockquote>
Screw that...I'll go become a professional poker player in Vegas.

[quote author="no_vaseline" date=1242469196]Yes on all but E and F.

Yes, I realize I'm wasteing my time - F will pass, everything else will fail.</blockquote>

<a href="http://vote.sos.ca.gov/returns/props/59.htm">Nailed it!</a>

Tomorrow the real fun begins.

Does anyone else think the defeat of these propositions will put such a financial strain on California's budget that they will legalize marijuana to generate tax revenue?

Back