California Room

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258713213][quote author="Nude" date=1258713070]bk, are you looking for the answer that is incorrect from your list?</blockquote>

The most incorrect.</blockquote>

"An outdoor room for mild SoCal climate".

It's a nice place for hornets to nest, maybe even a swallow or two. With no airflow it's only going to get hotter under the roof during the summer, but it will be a perfect place to stay dry during the warm winter rains... as long as there is no wind. Spiders will like it, plenty of anchor points for webs, keeping some of the gnats at bay. These are common problems with all porches, but I think the reason it is most "wrong" is that it's not specific to California. Covered porches have been a staple of home building long before Junipero Serra began building missions and certainly before California became a popular place to overpay for housing. You could just as easily call if a New York room or a Rome room or a Taipei room.

[quote author="Nude" date=1258716829][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258713213][quote author="Nude" date=1258713070]bk, are you looking for the answer that is incorrect from your list?</blockquote>

It's a nice place for hornets to nest, maybe even a swallow or two. With no airflow it's only going to get hotter under the roof during the summer, but it will be a perfect place to stay dry during the warm winter rains... as long as there is no wind. Spiders will like it, plenty of anchor points for webs, keeping some of the gnats at bay. These are common problems with all porches, but I think the reason it is most "wrong" is that it's not specific to California. Covered porches have been a staple of home building long before Junipero Serra began building missions and certainly before California became a popular place to overpay for housing. You could just as easily call if a New York room or a Rome room or a Taipei room.</blockquote>

Very interesting way of viewing it. I am very allergic to spider bites and I must visit an ER each time. Mrs BK is allergic to bee sting and could die from her swelling of her air passage blocking air intake to her lungs.

We would not want a California Room since it is an ideal place for insects to nest.

One thing I really dislike about these loggias, California Rooms, etc is that it blocks the light into the house. THere's a couple of homes I have seen in TRidge with these loggias, and I imagine the CR will be the same issue- it already makes these Tuscan-inspired houses even more dark- and it's depressing to me.

[quote author="Nude" date=1258716829][quote author="bkshopr" date=1258713213][quote author="Nude" date=1258713070]bk, are you looking for the answer that is incorrect from your list?</blockquote>

It's a nice place for hornets to nest, maybe even a swallow or two. With no airflow it's only going to get hotter under the roof during the summer, but it will be a perfect place to stay dry during the warm winter rains... as long as there is no wind. Spiders will like it, plenty of anchor points for webs, keeping some of the gnats at bay. These are common problems with all porches, but I think the reason it is most "wrong" is that it's not specific to California. Covered porches have been a staple of home building long before Junipero Serra began building missions and certainly before California became a popular place to overpay for housing. You could just as easily call if a New York room or a Rome room or a Taipei room.</blockquote>

You're helping nature out at least.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1259027634]California Room is located in the rear yard just outside of a living space. Many times homeowners added trellis above the paved patio to create a much more intimate space. In this case a solid roof over the patio is technically a covered patio packaged in a fancy name to charge the consumer a much higher price. </blockquote>

The trellis above the patio is much more appealing to me than this solid roof version. The more open feeling of the trellis feels much more "california" than the solid roof being pushed by TIC. Heck, we ALL had covered patios back in the midwest where I grew up --- but nobody had a trellis patio, it was pointless b/c of the weather. In Irvine a solid roof patio cover almost seems pointless with the weather here.

[quote author="CK" date=1259028202][quote author="bkshopr" date=1259027634]California Room is located in the rear yard just outside of a living space. Many times homeowners added trellis above the paved patio to create a much more intimate space. In this case a solid roof over the patio is technically a covered patio packaged in a fancy name to charge the consumer a much higher price. </blockquote>

The trellis above the patio is much more appealing to me than this solid roof version. The more open feeling of the trellis feels much more "california" than the solid roof being pushed by TIC. Heck, we ALL had covered patios back in the midwest where I grew up --- but nobody had a trellis patio, it was pointless b/c of the weather. In Irvine a solid roof patio cover almost seems pointless with the weather here.</blockquote>

After watching the design innovation clip from the TIC website the "nice mild weather in Southern CA promotes outdoor living". Because TIC said so and this is an open book quiz I would conclude this answer true and very unlikely to be false. I guess you still can have the outdoor living without the roof but the furniture would not be protected from the dust caused by the blowers and soot from surrounding traffic.

There are benefits to a CRoom rather than a covered patio.

For one, a CRoom has two sides to it so it has a better climate control. You can put in a ceiling fan or a heater to control the temperature.

From the get go, you don't have to cement a slab and build the pergola... it's done and has it's own lighting etc etc.

I actually like not having direct sunlight into the family/great room because bright direct light is always a problem with watching TV.

If you have a dog, a CRoom is a better outdoor area to keep the dog when it's raining or very hot as it provided better protection from the elements.

That's why now, whenever I see new homes that have a deck at the master option, I want it because it also provide a pseudo CRoom in the backyard.

No one can hide in their yards in Irvine. Neighbors from the sides or back can clearly see into your yard from the second story windows. Having a roof over the patio would cut off that view allowing you to have some privacy. This is the only privacy solution for having a small yard. Having the California Room also would disguise the small yard by blocking off the panoramic view of a postage stamp size yard by the thick columns. By blocking off the view it also create an illusion that there may still be a larger yard around the corner of the California Room.

[quote author="MojoJD" date=1259037169]unless you're in a perfectly situated lot (this exludes 95% of irvine) maybe watching TV in the yard might be a tad rude to the neighbors. I'm cool with all kinds of neighborly sounds (bbqs, kids playing, yard work, etc), but habitual TV noise coming from outdoor speakers might bug the hell out of me.</blockquote>

I have neighbors that are always outside and even though I don't particularly like the kind of music they listen to, I don't mind because at least they have a decent sound system. But what I can't stand is the television outside. I hate almost all television noise and it angers me that I have to close my windows so I don't have to hear it. Thank god for winter and colder weather. I dread the day when they discover those outdoor fire pits and heaters.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1259045495][quote author="MojoJD" date=1259037169]unless you're in a perfectly situated lot (this exludes 95% of irvine) maybe watching TV in the yard might be a tad rude to the neighbors. I'm cool with all kinds of neighborly sounds (bbqs, kids playing, yard work, etc), but habitual TV noise coming from outdoor speakers might bug the hell out of me.</blockquote>

I have neighbors that are always outside and even though I don't particularly like the kind of music they listen to, I don't mind because at least they have a decent sound system. But what I can't stand is the television outside. I hate almost all television noise and it angers me that I have to close my windows so I don't have to hear it. Thank god for winter and colder weather. I dread the day when they discover those outdoor fire pits and heaters.</blockquote>

Now with California Room the yard now would have some life. It will anger those who wants a quiet yard when now the neighbors spend the whole day out there sitting, drinking, BBQ, watching TV, outdoor Fireplace and heater keeping them warm through the night. May be HOA can enforce the 10 pm quiet time and parking rule in the future.

Note to RC and others If you have light sleeper infant or toddlers then avoid neighbors who spend excessive time outside.

[quote author="ABC123" date=1259045495] I dread the day when they discover those outdoor fire pits and heaters.</blockquote>

This confirms our rear neighbors definitely hate us.

[quote author="CK" date=1259048009][quote author="ABC123" date=1259045495] I dread the day when they discover those outdoor fire pits and heaters.</blockquote>

This confirms our rear neighbors definitely hate us.</blockquote>

I knew it! =)

I can predict the problem at the rear would be worse than the parking problem at the front. You can tow away a car but you can't tow away a party. Can one throws a party but refrain from making noise?

I know what homeowners would do if the California Room is in the San Fernando Valley.

For some reason music and party noise doesn't bother me as much as television and female yakking on the phone noise. If you buy a house with a California room and insist on having people over several nights a week, just be considerate to your neighbors and only invite interesting people.

Products were well designed during the last bubble era. Product differentiation was a great leap from the last recession by getting rid of garage dominant elevations and introduction of courtyards. This time around the products lack really the big idea that successfully turned the last recession around by rendering the older homes obsolete and enticed homeowners to move up. The covered patio from what I can see is the only differentiating element like changing a trim detail to a BMW model.

This is also true.

Back