California courts finally get it right...

[quote author="4walls4me" date=1211872834]Hi Lawyleriz!

Here's how I interpret the "hurting your marriage" thing. Family is the heart of our culture. Take the polygamy example instead. All of a sudden, now it's legal and your husband comes home and wants to add a nice little college student to your family. It's not a mid-life crisis anymore, the law says that's fine and normal. My guess is you would be none too happy. I DO believe that if anything and everything goes, family and society do fall apart. People would stupidly do whatever feels good (a la the housing market) and everything falls to crap (a la the housing market). To you and I gay marriage may not constitute a step in the direction of chaos, but to others it does. I think that's seen as the "harm".

I don't see gay marriage as a step towards chaos, but I do think it's unfortunate that good people with good intentions for all involved can't have these discussions without being villified. It helps no one, least of all the nice, hard-working gay couples just trying to have regular life. I truly believe most people really do just want what's best, but can't have reasonable discussions w/o being labeled anti-gay or a religious whacko. I think that's why you only hear the extreme religious opinions and arguments.

I 100% believe the marriage system in the Moon is a Harsh Mistress would never, ever work in reality. I love that book. But Heinlein is a pervert. In other books (yes, books plural) he goes on about how great father-daughter sex would be and how that should be A-okay in society. Yuck. Heinlein himself went on to have an "open" marriage his second marriage and guess how that worked out. Great book though. It's my favorite along with Starship Troopers. I never understood why Stranger in a Strange Land is considered a classic. I thought is was definition of lame.</blockquote>

Before things get too stupid around here, I'm going to opine on this post.

In reverse-order... Heinlein was simply taking state-regulated marriage to it's logical conclusion: contracts. His examples were pure speculation in a world where he created the stimuli that resulted in whatever mutation of the marriage law he happened to be portraying. But they were always based on the idea that logic and reason would dictate changes, not custom. This line of speculation was also applied to the incest taboo as it relates to genetics rather than superstition. Futhermore, he had 3 wives and zero children... and there isn't one shred of evidence that he ever had an open marriage so I invite you to provide a link that backs up your claim.

Reasonable discussion requires reasonable people that debate honestly and stick to the facts. It has been my experience that the only people who open speak about gay marriage are those who either want to be married or want to use the issue to advance their own political agenda. I think the majority of people could give a fuck one way or the other because they have more pressing issues. Often those same people define "what's best" as whatever directly benefits them with the least effort possible. That being said, if someone came up to me and began a conversation about gay marriage rights with "what's next, polygamy?" I would laugh at them until they crawled back into their cave.

You opened with a sterotypical older male bringing home a younger woman and saying "look what we're going to marry!" to his middle-aged wife. What you failed to do is think it through. Just because the man wants to add a third, it doesn't mean the wife has to stick around. A marriage is a legal entity and each member has rights, including the right to petition for divorce. In other words, even if multi-partner marriages were legal if the wife was not happy with her husbands intentions, she could get a divorce... just as she would today if her husband decided he wanted a mistress against his wife's wishes. If things would be the same either way, then your definition of "harm" is bogus. In case you haven't noticed, this entire country's history has been a slow and steady migration along the "anything and everything goes" road. From royal subjects to self-rule, from slaves to free men, from being legally barred from owning property to running for President, from "whites only" restrooms to the (probable) Democratic nomination, from Sandra Dee to Pamela Lee, this country evolves as we strip away a custom of inequality and replace it with an equal guarantee of freedom. It can not result in chaos unless those wishing to restrict those rights become chaotic themselves in an effort to suppress the rights of others. Not only is that anti-thetical to what this country is, it's in direct conflict with the content of the U.S. Constitution and the intentions of those who signed it.

[quote author="Trooper" date=1211887792] I'm not sure where the idea that "Mom and Dad" raising a child was the best way to go. I realize it's the "normal" course of action, the accepted practice, but again...who says it's best and why? Plenty of single Moms (and Dads!) have done just fine. In fact, the last Democratic President of the United States of America was the product of a single parent household ! One Mom. No Dad. Not too shabby. (ok, ok....I know).

Most of my lesbian friends have children. They make conscious efforts to have male role models interact as much as possible...but THEY are the parents. Two loving, capable, respectable soccer moms. My perception is that a family revolves around love and there is plenty of that happening. These are well adjusted children and to my knowledge, every last one of them is heterosexual. (Myth # 458 debunked) In time studies will be done comparing them to the children raised heterosexuals parents. Until then, I'll just see the living examples I have in front of me and dare anyone to consider them less fortunate. I would laugh if you said you felt sorry for them. They are spoiled little brats ! ;) They want for nothing !</blockquote>
Trooper, here's some unsolicited advice. Find a new argument to support gay parenting, because this one sucks. The idea of "a mom and dad being the best way to go" came from over FIVE THOUSAND years of recorded history. As much as I support the right of gay people to get married and have kids, they are not nor have they ever been a majority in any society or time on this planet and procreation between to gay lovers was out of the question until relatively recently. Since the population keeps growing at such a rapid rate, it's a safe bet that the whole man/woman thing has the approval of Mother Nature. The best that can be said is that there isn't much more than anecdotal evidence on gay parent's either way. But questioning the success/result of the tradtional family in raising children is like questioning if farming is a good idea; the results have been in for a while already.

Look... single parent homes are at a major disadvantage and account for the majority of the youth that end up in legal trouble. You are a cop, you know I'm right. While there may be a few hundred examples of success, the prisons are filled with a few million examples of failure. The economic disadvantage is staggering, and the time the parent is required to work leaves the child in the care of the schools, the cops, or themselves. Bill Clinton's mom did it in a poor state over a generation ago, but if Bill hadn't been a brilliant student he would be living in a trailer in Hope to this day. A college-educated single parent with a job and regular child-support checks might be at less of a disadvantage, but unfortunately that is the exception in single-parent households, not the rule. Most single parents weren't given much of a choice on the "single" part.

If you want to argue in support of gay parents, focus your efforts on what they have in common with straight parents: every new mom starts off with the same instruction manual (meaning none), they also had parents to learn from, homosexuality isn't a disease so the children have just as much of a chance of growing up straight as every other child on the planet, etc. Homosexual people are on the verge of equality in all things, but the danger of backlash is going to be increased if their arguments remain couched in emotional arguments because those kinds of arguments cannot be won. Sticking to the facts, arguing rights and responsibilities, and insisting on equality will go along way to the kind of acceptance we all, as human beings, want from those arounds us.

After spending a couple weeks in gay San Francisco (and feeling out of place) I finally came to the real reason for the gay marriage push...

Drum Roll...

It's the money!!!

Yes, Gay Marriage is projected to be a $40 billion/year business opportunity (think $30 - $80k weddings) with lots of full hotel rooms and city hotel fees. As the gay capital of the USA, San Francisco is expected to draw the lions share of this windfall.

So, in a time of pressed city coffers, you can see where this is coming from.

Hi Trooper,

I'm glad you responded :) I do NOT mean to offend. But I think you understand that (I hope). I threw out hypotheticals because someone asked for speculation as to why this bothers some people. I'm not actually equating gay marriage to polygamy at all. I'm saying some people are concerned if the court has the power to invoke one, why not the other. It's a fair point (not that I think polygamy is happening any time soon). The statement is about the inherent problems of tolerating judicial activisim. If we let 4 guys decide one issue and let it go, what's to stop them from doing it again. I understand the concern. I think it would be better for everyone if the voters eventually repealed 22, rather than have it happen this way. And I believe they would have, but now we may get stuck with this stupid amendment which will be that much harder to undo. If it weren't for the "judicial activism" component, I would not have even brought up the stupid polygamy thing. Does that clarify my meaning?

The child issue is a tough question that really no one knows the answer to. And it has nothing to do with orientation. It's a gender/role model thing. I think that's why most people balk. People want to know if two men more often than not can raise a daughter. Who knows?

Again, Trooper, I'm not out to offend at all. I have NO issue with homosexuality itself :) I don't think it's wrong, I think it's natural, I think it should be accepted. I'm not a crazy right-winger. I knew I was taking a chance by playing devil's advocate, but I did it anyway b/c I am sick to death of people not being able to have real discussions on important topics.

Ahhhh, the money is in the wedding biz.

Now that I can relate to. Having married of my son to a . . . itch (insert letter of your choice)

to dumped him in a year.

Hey, we were the groom's parents, and we still spent a lot.

We have some great parties to remember. If I could just forget the . . .itch was

there.

"<em>Drum Roll....It's the money!!!"</em>

Alan, I've met Gavin Newsom and I can assure you it had nothing to do with money and everything to do with equality. This case began four years ago when the state was flush with cash. Mayor Newsom was simply bringing home a campaign promise and honoring his constituency.

I will concede that it will bring big bucks into California during the months leading up to November. What November brings, I do not know. I can only keep my fingers crossed that the voters will consider people like me...and put themselves in my shoes for one minute. How would you like to be told that the voters were going to decide whether you could marry the person you love? Who are these voters....they don't know me !

These "activist judges" as they are called, correctly interpreted the State Constitution. They did their JOB. That does not make them activist....that phrase seems to pop up now when a judge makes a decision that someone doesn't agree with. To me, they are heroes. This is not activism, this is common decency. I deserve decency.

P.S. I am single, so this is all such a moot point for me. I just like that I now have this right. It's huge to me. Perhaps one day I can actually take advantage of it.... :)

I think the whole issue of marriage should be separated from parenting. My wife and I have no kids and aren't going to have any. Many people have kids and never get married. These issues are orthogonal. It is a poor argument to use against gay marriage. What we think is the best way to raise kids doesn't mean certain people shouldn't be able to get married. A gay couple can have and raise children together without being married.

I read some article the other day that those against gay marriage are significanly weighted towards older people. Even if the stupid amendment gets passed, it will all change in 10 years after stuffy, old people die and current teenagers reach voting age.

Some controversial social issues, such as abortion, seem to hover around 50/50 approval. I think gay marriage is around that 50/50 mark now but it will change as society progresses. 30 years from now we will look back and think those against it were just awful. Young politicians voting against it will have it used against them when they run for office in their later years after society has progressed.

So Trooper...

Let me be the first to ask...

When you do get married, your first choice of location is ...

1) San Francisco

2) San Francisco

3) San Francisco

4) Las Vegas (like hetero trash)

5) Irvine

Really, you think money has nothing to do with this. If it weren't for the money it wouldn't have gotten this far, don't kid yourself. Or do you think we would still be in Iraq if it weren't for the oil? You know, if you still want some real estate I know of a nice bridge in Arizona.

Alan, No...I don't particularly care for San Francisco. What, did you think it was our Mecca or something ? I would get married wherever felt best to me, most likely right here in Hollywood. Las Vegas is in Nevada, not legal there. Irvine ? Perhaps...when IR buys that TR McMansion and agrees to let me have it out back.

Really. I don't think money has anything to do with this. I'm not kidding. If it did, every state would be howling to make it legal so they could get their share.

What does Iraq have to do with this? And the bridge ? Make your point, but don't be a jerk.

Tim,

I like your idea of separating marriage and parenting. Well said. However, I don't want to have to wait 10 years. My life is passing me by....

[quote author="Trooper" date=1211956461]However, I don't want to have to wait 10 years. My life is passing me by....</blockquote>

I don't want to you have to either. Just trying to make a point, which was, um, hmm.... :blank:

<blockquote>So Trooper?

Let me be the first to ask?

When you do get married, your first choice of location is ...

1) San Francisco

2) San Francisco

3) San Francisco

4) Las Vegas (like hetero trash)

5) Irvine

Really, you think money has nothing to do with this. If it weren?t for the money it wouldn?t have gotten this far, don?t kid yourself. Or do you think we would still be in Iraq if it weren?t for the oil? You know, if you still want some real estate I know of a nice bridge in Arizona.</blockquote>

Wow, I think I finally have a valid reason to use the ignore button. I thought the level of stupid was getting bad on Lansner's blog, but I didn't think it would spread to here.

I have to say, I agree with Troop. Anyone who makes SF out to be some gay mecca, and feels out of place there, is beyond ignorant.

trooper - you've got my support. love is love, i don't care if it's between a man and a woman, a man and a man, or a woman and a woman. i don't have a problem with two people in love getting married.

I only watched Xena a couple of times, so I'm no expert...but I have met "Kennedy" in real life, and she is a bonafide lesbian. She doesn't just play one on T.V. ;-P (and no, I didn't "out" her, she is open about her sexuality). When I met her I had no idea who she was, just that she was hawt ! So of course, I Googled her when I got home and learned about the whole storyline.

<a href="http://www.afterellen.com/archive/ellen/TV/kennedy.html">Kennedy</a>

[quote author="Trooper" date=1211710822]It is with tongue in cheek that I say.... seems to me like you all have done a pretty good job at "ruining" marriage all by yourselves ! I doubt my marriage will destroy it any further. :coolhmm:

</blockquote>

You are way off base here. We need to keep marriage sacred for people like Elvis Presley, Britney Spears, Rock Hudson, Elizabeth Taylor, Pam Anderson, Michael Jackson, and Josef Fritzl. We can't let the gays ruin it!!

This thread was really inspiring. I expected to see less support for the court ruling and was pleasantly surprised to see an overwhelming response from married people that mirrors ours. It seems that it is not an issue that divides left and right here. Hooray!

I still wanna know how gay marriage might hurt my marriage.

Com'on, somebody.

If the gays in question don't have kids and are say too old to have 'em,

so we are not discussing that question.

If you say something, and everybody jumps on you, I will

defend you.

I have a suspicion that when you strip everything else away, what you

really may have from the antis is an aesthetic objection. Which is

a good reason not to buy a painting you don't like, but not an excuse

to make other people unhappy, and not enjoy normal civil life.

And if Alan feels uncomfortable, that's how he feels.

Hey, I've got nothing against gays in general.

I just don't think that public displays of emotion are appropriate behaviour, rather very bad manners. e.g. I don't want to see two dudes kissing or holding hands in public; what you do in the privacy of your own home is fine. Just like people don't want to sit next to smokers or women who breast fed shouldn't do it in a public restaurant while other people are eating. Not to mention the non-stop public urinating on the whole route of the annual Bay to Breakers race. The public urination was so flagrant it warranted a whole opinion piece in the SF Chronicle (although I sure a lost of straight people were involved in this vulgar act also.

And could you please not dress so badly. Dressing like a drag queen may be OK for the party at night but some jeans and a decent shirt will be fine for public during the daytime. I understand the bad dressing in Hollywood, people go there like it's Halloween all year long but San Franciscans aren't in Hollywood.

Finally, keep the disgusting slogans off the cars. In a public parking lot at a park in S.F. I saw a sign stuck to the rear view mirror that said "I love my Penis". Vulgar. Would you like to take your kid to a Park where someone had that on his car.

<em>"I just don?t think that public displays of emotion are appropriate behaviour, rather very bad manners. e.g. I don?t want to see two dudes kissing or holding hands in public" </em>

So, does this go for straight people too Alan? I shouldn't have to be in the privacy of my own home to kiss my girlfriend/wife or hold her hand....just because it makes you uncomfortable. Now I'm not talking full make out session...b/c that should be private. But a peck ?

I think you are kidding yourself when you say you don't have a problem with gays. So, it's ok to be gay as long as I don't talk about it, act on it, display it or look it. Right? Gee, thanks.

Back