Buying new house with a "4"

renter1

Seems like last new constructions to sell are ones with a 4 or ending in 4. We found a house we really like- we don't want to have a resale problem- would u guys advice then waiting for a house with no #4 in it? Seems kinda ridiculous but we keep seeing these sell last they eventually sell at a decent price though. Can anyone advise? Is the number 4 worse at the end of the street number?

I don't think asians care so much about the number 4, it's mostly certain combinations of the number 4.  Hard to explain but 4 means death in chinese, and each number in chinese means something different.  Like 1 is one, 6 is road, 4 is death. so 164 is a road straight to death, so that's a no no

4, 44, 444, 164, 144, 14

Other combos like 24, 49, 48 I'm sure they are fine with.  I wouldn't skip out on an opportunity just cause it had the number 4

54 sounds similar to "will not die" in Mandarin - I would take the 154 address over the 114 if those are your choices.

Come to think of it, 154 is bad too, sounds like 'whole litter dies'. So if your dog has puppies, Krampus might show up. 

it's funny, i was looking at new construction, and they have several '14' homes they can't sell and are in quick move in status.  the guy at the sales office was complaining and saying he would call the irvine company and have them change the numbers.  ha.  like that's gonna happen.

dethman said:
it's funny, i was looking at new construction, and they have several '14' homes they can't sell and are in quick move in status.  the guy at the sales office was complaining and saying he would call the irvine company and have them change the numbers.  ha.  like that's gonna happen.

Yes, good luck with that.  Once the street number has already assigned, it can not be changed.  They can skip the address ending with number 4 but it has to be done at very early stage of development by the developer. 

When the developer start to prepared the land, draw up the neighborhood design, divided up the lots, and naming the street, they also assign the street number at this time.  The developer can file a request for alternative street number, like skipping address number ending with a 4 with the city planning office.  With all the alternative rear yard setbacks been approve by the city we've seem in all the developments, I don't think its too difficult for the city to approve it.  But once they pass the initial planning stages and the street number has already assigned, it will be impossible to changed it. 

Once the developer is done and sold the lot to the builders, there is nothing a builder can do to change the "4" ending numbered street address.

I dont get it if this is a know issue albeit ridiculous why don't they just plan from the beginning to avoid certain numbers and get that preapproved? Is it a cost or time issue?? They are the last houses everywhere beacon park orchard hills east gate. And it's even true for resales half the portola springs listings now sitting have a 4.

renter1 said:
Seems like last new constructions to sell are ones with a 4 or ending in 4. We found a house we really like- we don't want to have a resale problem- would u guys advice then waiting for a house with no #4 in it? Seems kinda ridiculous but we keep seeing these sell last they eventually sell at a decent price though. Can anyone advise? Is the number 4 worse at the end of the street number?

I would avoid it - sounds silly to many but why alienate a large portion of your primary resales pool? Besides, you posted the question so it's already bothering you - too many choices out there that don't end in 4. When you spend that amount of money, be picky!

Personally, I don't believe that 4 is a bad number but in my recent purchase, we avoided homes with an address number containing 4.  Mainly so as not to limit the pool of potential buyers when we are ready to sell.

My house in Irvine had a '4' in it.  Actually it was just '4' and the street name.  Did it potentially scare of some people?  I am sure.  I still sold it in less than 30 days to Asians (not all Asians believe in numerology) and earned a very solid return.

I actually had a potential buyer walk to the front door and then turn around and leave without entering.  The reason: The door is at an angle and not straight with the front of the house which is supposedly bad luck I guess.  Who knows what gets people turned off. 

That house was a wonderful house with lots of great memories and I never had problems with any repairs the entire ten years I lived there except for one garage spring that broke.  I have no problems buying a house with a 4 in it.  Not bad luck for me.

a32mil said:
how about having a house with 88 as the number?!?!?!?!

I had a house in Irvine with 88 as the address number. Awesome right???

When the market fell, it dropped about 15% from what I paid. I pulled it off the market. Put it back on the market in mid 2013 - if people recall how tight the market was around then. Repriced at 15% ABOVE what I paid and got a full price offer after a week.

Whatever value the 88 had, market forces are market forces.

Back