Buying in Baker Ranch for investment property?

If you are targeting UCI student as your renters... Greenwood in Tustin is better, if you are targeting workers in the Spectrum or Foothill Ranch, Bakers Ranch is better.

eyephone said:
stephen said:
I'm more bullish on Greenwood at Tustin Legacy than Baker Ranch. They'll have some in the $600K range soon, might be worth checking out.
Thinking it over. I think Baker Ranch might be better buy.
#ChangeofView

Baker ranch has the good school district priced in. Greenwood I beleive is selling at a discount to tustin ranch. Once all the schools are built out I think they will help the home values at greenwood and colimbus square. And once the community is fully built out it should be pretty nice. Greenwood is on the border of central irvine whereas baker ranch is on the border of the inland empire section of irvine. Greenwood has better prospects than baker ranch

A LOT of companies are located in Lake Forest. I don't think people realize how many jobs are there. All the way from F.R., to B.R., and all the way down to the 5 and beyond.

SoCal said:
A LOT of companies are located in Lake Forest. I don't think people realize how many jobs are there. All the way from F.R., to B.R., and all the way down to the 5 and beyond.

More companies are located in irvine/newport/Costa Mesa/santa Ana - all 5 -10 minutes from greenwood :)

yes more jobs around Greenwood; as the traffic around that area is crazy at peak hours.

jobs near Baker Ranch, Foothill Ranch and Lake Forest tend to be lower pay as well.

The California Court Company said:
yes more jobs around Greenwood; as the traffic around that area is crazy at peak hours.

jobs near Baker Ranch, Foothill Ranch and Lake Forest tend to be lower pay as well.

Spectrum jobs (amazon, oracle, blizzard, etc) + Broadcom + 200 Spectrum (new high rise at spectrum) will benefit BR long term. High paying tech hub

I think the school district/schools is going to make the biggest difference. Even though being close to work is important, people are more than willing to drive a bit more to be in a good school district. With that said, I feel TUSD is a safer bet and has a proven track record with new schools (Beckman). So, it seems greenwood would be the "safer" bet in my opinion.

The low taxes in Baker Ranch is really appealing though, it really improves your purchasing power and will significantly reduce holding costs. The newer areas of Tustin seem to have a high tax rate based on what people say so I am curious how the taxes on Greenwood are gong to be.

Irvinean said:
I think the school district/schools is going to make the biggest difference. Even though being close to work is important, people are more than willing to drive a bit more to be in a good school district. With that said, I feel TUSD is a safer bet and has a proven track record with new schools (Beckman). So, it seems greenwood would be the "safer" bet in my opinion.

The low taxes in Baker Ranch is really appealing though, it really improves your purchasing power and will significantly reduce holding costs. The newer areas of Tustin seem to have a high tax rate based on what people say so I am curious how the taxes on Greenwood are gong to be.

I think your opinion is reasonable. However, I think you missed the in-depth conversation, Greenwood is zoned for Tustin High School. (Check out Greenwood's website, and it tells you what schools are zoned for Greenwood)
#goodluck

eyephone said:
Irvinean said:

I think your opinion is reasonable. However, I think you missed the in-depth conversation, Greenwood is zoned for Tustin High School. (Check out Greenwood's website, and it tells you what schools are zoned for Greenwood)
#goodluck

with the MR/CFD attached to greenwood they are opening the elementary in the fall of 2016 and building the middle school and high school. Not sure how long it takes to build a school but in 3-4 years at the most the middle and high school should be open.  and while greenwood is zoned to Tustin High, as soon as the new high school is built it will be zoned to the new school.  and in the meantime while the schools are not opened, you can transfer (with first priority) to any TUSD school. once the schools are open and if they are high performing, which they likely will, i dont see any reason why Tustin Legacy homes wouldnt trade at the same price as Tustin Ranch (or at least close the gap). So in theory, you can buy at greenwood now at the lower price, and when the schools open up you should see some increase in the price.

At greenwood, 103 homes (sheldon, 27% of total greenwood homes) will be starting in the mid 600s, the remaining 272 (73% of greenwood homes) are million dollar homes.  Sheldon may be the best bet in terms of appreciation. All of the folks at greenwood will be high income folks who place a higher emphasis on education, so no reason the schools wont perform well.

Irvinean said:
The newer areas of Tustin seem to have a high tax rate based on what people say so I am curious how the taxes on Greenwood are gong to be.

Test posted this info already. the larger homes (crawford/stafford/huntley) will have two MR bonds, the 3,000 sq ft homes will have about 6,500 in taxes for the two bonds.

I love how Qwerty is the unofficial spokesperson for all things TL & Greenwood.  StanPac should give you a qwerty-op.

bones said:
I love how Qwerty is the unofficial spokesperson for all things TL & Greenwood.  StanPac should give you a qwerty-op.

i gotta rep my hood :)

although i do feel a little like Test now. Both Tustin and Stanpac should start bankrolling me.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:
Irvinean said:

#goodluck

with the MR/CFD attached to greenwood they are opening the elementary in the fall of 2016 and building the middle school and high school. Not sure how long it takes to build a school but in 3-4 years at the most the middle and high school should be open.  and while greenwood is zoned to Tustin High, as soon as the new high school is built it will be zoned to the new school.  and in the meantime while the schools are not opened, you can transfer (with first priority) to any TUSD school. once the schools are open and if they are high performing, which they likely will, i dont see any reason why Tustin Legacy homes wouldnt trade at the same price as Tustin Ranch (or at least close the gap). So in theory, you can buy at greenwood now at the lower price, and when the schools open up you should see some increase in the price.

At greenwood, 103 homes (sheldon, 27% of total greenwood homes) will be starting in the mid 600s, the remaining 272 (73% of greenwood homes) are million dollar homes.  Sheldon may be the best bet in terms of appreciation. All of the folks at greenwood will be high income folks who place a higher emphasis on education, so no reason the schools wont perform well.

I was referring to the new schools that are being built as qwerty was saying. I have to agree with qwerty on this one, with everything being built in that area and all the schools... I think solid appreciation is inevitable. But 6500 in extra taxes for a mid 600k home is pretty steep it seems, makes it more like 750k home in my mind...

The mid 600s home won't have 6,500 in taxes, that is for 3,000 sq ft homes. I don't recall the MR on the 2,000 sq ft home, probably around 4,300 (2/3 of sq footage so 2/3 of MR?)

qwerty said:
The mid 600s home won't have 6,500 in taxes, that is for 3,000 sq ft homes. I don't recall the MR on the 2,000 sq ft home, probably around 4,300 (2/3 of sq footage so 2/3 of MR?)
thelandofnoland said:
The Mello-Roos district will not be voted upon until April 20, so the extra tax bond is not guaranteed yet.

Here's the data for Sheldon versus Stafford...

Sheldon  Originally: $2605-$3115/year (assuming a 2250 sq. ft. home for $720K, then 1.4%)
Stafford  Originally: $4345-4642/year (assuming a 3529 sq. ft. home for $1.09M, then 1.4%)

After the new bond...

Sheldon  $3930-$4440/year (1.5958%)
Stafford  $6395-6692/year (1.6367%)

My bad, based on this, the mello roos seems are fair. I really despise mello roos, especially when it does not seem justified. But considering the proposed site plan with all the new schools/parks, Greenwood is going to be very nice. Especially with the district close by and the centrality, the Sheldon track sure seems tempting! I think qwerty is onto something!

qwerty said:
SoCal said:

More companies are located in irvine/newport/Costa Mesa/santa Ana - all 5 -10 minutes from greenwood :)

... which is fine if somebody is okay with living that close to Santa Ana, etc. For instance, I personally am okay with it but Mr. SoCal refused to even consider that part of Tustin. To each his own.

I think buying in BR for investment reasons is not a wise idea. That nearby county jail has been approved for expansion, which means it will house more criminals, and more dangerous criminals.  That was a big turnoff for a lot of people who were considering it, and I think that will always be a hurdle with future sales.

That being said, most of Irvine and the new communities of Tustin (Greenwood, Tustin Field Columbus Grove, etc...) are all built on top of a toxic plume. We were actually in escrow for a home in Tustin Field, then we got the appalling list of disclosures and called a geologist to get some more info. What we learned made us pull out of escrow, and halted our real estate search in Irvine.

Back