Buying a new car

irvinehomeowner

Has anyone been car shopping lately?

It's crazy... low or no inventory, all the dealers want markups... and if you want to pay MRSP you have to order and wait 4-6 months for a vehicle.

The online car buying services can't even find you a deal.

Stupid supply chain / Covid / economy. :(

I was going to buy a new EV for the carpool sticker because mine is expiring end of the year, but after seeing the markup on Mach-E and the 10-month wait for the Model 3, I just gave up.

I was shopping for a few weeks then just said "forget it" I'll stick with the cars we have.  Even for normal high volume vehicles for Honda/Toyota/Hyundai you have to pay MSRP or maybe a few hundred under if you're lucky.  Might as well just buy from Carmax where they don't negotiate anyhow. 

Problem is used cars are almost the same as new... and if I'm going to pay that much... I want to make sure I'm the first owner. :)

If you're willing to buy a Tesla Model 3 or Y Performance models then you can get a February delivery date but likely earlier in January.

haven't even bothered. bought my current car during covid lockdowns when dealers were begging me to buy. got a great discount and feel like i couldn't have bought at a better time.

I ordered a long distance Y in AUG.  My delivery was end DEC, but now is mid JAN.

Cares said:
If you're willing to buy a Tesla Model 3 or Y Performance models then you can get a February delivery date but likely earlier in January.

Well, I'm not desperate enough to pay extra for features I don't need, especially after I finally got my Bluffs 2 home at PS.

My son is just disappointed that he won't be able to inherit my Prius Prime when he gets his license, hopefully, in January.

My lease is up in early summer. It doesn?t look like things will get any better by then so we will see. If things stay the same I?ll likely just pay the residual for my current car. I?m way under the miles I leased it for as well so probably makes sense to just keep it.

I have about 24k miles on my Macan GTS in 12 months so I ordered a new Macan GTS from my dealer in Houston which is coming April/May 2022.  I used to be able to get a 6-7% discount and free shipping to me on non-GT porsches but I'm happy that i got MSRP and I'll pay for the shipping but they also got me a 992 GT3 Touring at MSRP and those allocations are $50k-$100k over MSRP now so I'm a happy camper.  Will probably order a Taycan Cross Turismo next year to replace the incoming Macan as I am not willing to keep a Porsche that is out of warranty (40k miles).

I bought one last month. It was a PITA. Didn?t mind the ordering but it was hard to even find a car to test drive at times (for some models). But on the flip side, if you have a car to sell or trade, the markets great for that so it does make up for some of the price.

qwerty said:
My lease is up in early summer. It doesn?t look like things will get any better by then so we will see. If things stay the same I?ll likely just pay the residual for my current car. I?m way under the miles I leased it for as well so probably makes sense to just keep it.

If you don't need the car it makes sense to pay the residual and resell the car for profit.

Car buying is still crazy.

Looks like it will be this way for a while.

Like bones, I want to be able to at least sit in a car but many are presold or don?t stay on the lot very long.

It?s also weird that some brands are missing stuff like seat heaters etc while others are unaffected. I notice this more in the domestic vehicles.

qwerty said:

What did you end up doing?

The rising interest rates have seemed to soften the new and used car market prices... but not much. A little more inventory but many dealers... especially in the lower priced brands are still charging over MSRP.

You would think that Corollas and Civics would be cheaper... but they are still MSRP or higher... esp the Hondas.

But this also means some of the luxury higher priced brands are actually at MSRP or discounted (like BMWs).

irvinehomeowner said:
qwerty said:

What did you end up doing?

The rising interest rates have seemed to soften the new and used car market prices... but not much. A little more inventory but many dealers... especially in the lower priced brands are still charging over MSRP.

You would think that Corollas and Civics would be cheaper... but they are still MSRP or higher... esp the Hondas.

But this also means some of the luxury higher priced brands are actually at MSRP or discounted (like BMWs).

I ended up buying my car. My wife?s car is coming up later this year as well and we will likely do the same thing.

I?ve been keeping my eye on the BMW pricing and like you said the prices are starting to soften. You can get an X5 now at below msrp. Not by much but still below msrp. Leasing is not ideal in the current interest rate and lower supply environment.  I still can?t get over the fact that leases are about 50% higher than 3 years ago. Pretty crazy.

My wife keeps going back and forth on a Tesla but I don?t think she will go for it.

Back