Buy a home backing a road or backing another house?

What would you rather buy?

• Total voters
That's a hard question... but 20ft setback is pretty far, that's like 5 TIC homes.

I think it depends on the road, some 2x2's are very noisy and others are quiet, even if both are "busy".

Like you, I like the fact that no one backs you, but at the same time, not really keen on road noise. I'll have to answer "Other" here.

Unless it was a highway I'd take the road any day.  On my woodbury condo I had a corner lot with a 30 ft setback from a pretty busy intersection.  It only bothered me 1-2 times a week when somebody would peel out from a dead stop. 

That was more than worth it compared to having someone right up against me forever.

It would depend on the road:  intersection or no?  speed limit?  ask the neighbors that already back to the road on how loud the noise is, might be quiet during the day but Need for Speed at night.

I would avoid intersections like the plague, you'll find out why once in a blue moon when someone thinks your backyard is a drive thru and orders a side of 911. 

As for the neighbor looking into your yard, it would all depend on the setback, is his CA room butting up to yours?  Landscaping can't hide much when you're that close.  And if you're like IHO and lounge around in your skivvies in the yard taking out the trash, no neighbor behind will prevent a future HOA complaint.

I am paranoid that backing up to a road gives someone easy access to hop over the wall into the backyard and break into the house. I am always thinking "what would a burglar do". I would (and did) take the lot backing another house instead. Only if it was super duper tight, very cramped with no privacy, then maybe the road option. Still don't like the idea, though. I have seen dumb kids throw trash and things over walls into people's patio.

Statistics show homes backing up against a road are more likely to be burglarized than those backing to the rear of another homes. The trade off is having 3 more homes looking down to your yard if you are lucky to have one. Avoid the road shortly after an intersection due to the loud acceleration and exhaust. The windows are dirtier at this stretch of the road.

The privacy may be a trade off but going to bed at night knowing that you are vulnerable could interrupt your good night sleep. Here are some suggestions: Install motion sensor lights to discourage night prowlers. Trail thorny bougainvillea on the top of walls or climbing roses. Install pigeon spikes on top of walls. All of the above ideas do not violate HOA rules.

f9ea377bb785745ea7c4433518f3daef_zps71230b86.jpg

Going ghetto Asia style

Remember growing up all the homes had these, I wonder if the contractors just used whatever beverages they were drinking to use on the wall. 

Landscaping that mask 3 neighbors home toward your rear will choke the sunlight to your yard. Due to small yard size you can't plant large canopy trees except for those skinny columnar varieties like Cypress or Tristane  Box. Cypress makes a perfect habitat for spiders. No landscape will conceal the line of sight from the neighbors home down to your yard. I suggest inviting IHO to your home frequently and by habit your neighbors will keep their shutters permanently closed.

ps9 said:

Going ghetto Asia style

Remember growing up all the homes had these, I wonder if the contractors just used whatever beverages they were drinking to use on the wall. 
Super heavy moving blanket defeats this... dampens the noise too.

I watch too much Ocean's 11.

irvinehomeowner said:
ps9 said:

Going ghetto Asia style

Super heavy moving blanket defeats this... dampens the noise too.

I watch too much Ocean's 11.

Isn't this illegal just like electric fance and barbed wire fance for residential area?  Also if the burglar got injured scaling your fance, you can get sued? 

eyephone said:
paperboyNC said:
If it's important it's not that hard to find homes that don't back either especially if you aren't that picky about the city / neighborhood you live in.

Here's one in Irvine:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/3802-Blackthorn-St-92606/home/4674223

And another:http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/45-Snowdrop-Tree-92606/home/7202183

I would pass on the first one.

I would pass on both.

- first one backs to train tracks - noisy, house can shake depending on the train passing by
- second one backs to construction circle - nasty smells originate from that area (you can often smell it getting onto Jamboree at Warner), plus who knows whatever other pollutants you might have in your back yard

Used to live in an Irvine two story that backed to a two story.  I knew when the people behind were taking showers, when their kids needed to do homework, when the kids went to bed and every disagreement they had.  We now live in Irvine with no one behind us  but the front is near an intersection.  I wouldn't go back to having a close neighbor behind for any amount of money.  It is delightful to not have an apartment feel after paying for an Irvine two story home.    :D

Trav25 said:
Used to live in an Irvine two story that backed to a two story.  I knew when the people behind were taking showers, when their kids needed to do homework, when the kids went to bed and every disagreement they had.  We now live in Irvine with no one behind us  but the front is near an intersection.  I wouldn't go back to having a close neighbor behind for any amount of money.  It is delightful to not have an apartment feel after paying for an Irvine two story home.    :D

Totally agree.  My previous home were back to another two story too.  Even with its 20+ feet deep backyard, I can hear everything from my neighbor and this is with the window closed. 

ps9 said:

Going ghetto Asia style

Some of the houses I've seen in Taipei chose to use upside down nails instead of glass.  I think it looks a bit classier.  :p

IMHO, if it's 2x2, two lanes each direction, there is nothing moderately busy about it.  During prime drive time, it's a race track.

Back