Built-in Grills

jyeh74

I went to BBQ Galores and there are so many versions.  I am looking for a standard 36" grille.
Sedonas are $2500 and the higher end Lynx are $4600 with Fire Magic being $3800.  They said its the better warranty and better build in the Lynx and Fire Magic accounting for the price difference.  He mentioned direct heat vs radiant heat but I'm not sure the difference exactly.  Was looking into Viking but read that some folks saying their outdoor grilles are not that good. 

irvineboy said:
I went to BBQ Galores and there are so many versions.  I am looking for a standard 36" grille.
Sedonas are $2500 and the higher end Lynx are $4600 with Fire Magic being $3800.  They said its the better warranty and better build in the Lynx and Fire Magic accounting for the price difference.  He mentioned direct heat vs radiant heat but I'm not sure the difference exactly.  Was looking into Viking but read that some folks saying their outdoor grilles are not that good.

#getWeber

I am looking for built in only.

They have the standard briquette.  They showed me this no additional cost infrared, that sears faster and evenly. 

Does anyone do built-in's anymore?

irvineboy said:
I am looking for built in only.

They have the standard briquette.  They showed me this no additional cost infrared, that sears faster and evenly. 

Does anyone do built-in's anymore?

I remember a person on TI bought a house, but the built in BBQ unit was gone after close of escrow. Is that you?

irvineboy said:

We have a Lion 32" + single burner + double door.  Paid $2000 total including tax.  Can't remember what the breakout was, but I think the grill itself was $1450.  Whole system works great and looks fine.  Caveat: We're not big (read: snobby) grill people.

Sorry don't see the value in a built in, grill's get abused and forgotten.  And looks kinda nasty during resale unless you were OCD about upkeep.  Built in fridges and wall ovens are worth the $$$, FCB's don't care for bbq

ps9 said:
Sorry don't see the value in a built in, grill's get abused and forgotten.  And looks kinda nasty during resale unless you were OCD about upkeep.  Built in fridges and wall ovens are worth the $$$, FCB's don't care for bbq

It doesn't always have to be about resale.  But I guess for some folks it is - pay for the $8k built-in fridge but sit on an Ikea couch. 

We have a bbq galore brand 4 burner built in. We use it ALOT. The only problem has been the rotisserie has broken (twice). Not sure if it's because chickens have gotten a lot bigger in the last 16 years or if it would have broken with smaller birds.

Ready2Downsize said:
We have a bbq galore brand 4 burner built in. We use it ALOT. The only problem has been the rotisserie has broken (twice). Not sure if it's because chickens have gotten a lot bigger in the last 16 years or if it would have broken with smaller birds.

Do they make their own brands?  I didn't know that.  They showed me Sedona model (cheapest), a Delta Heat model, a Fire Magic model and a Lynx model (most expensive)

Do you have the briquette or the infrared?

bones said:
irvineboy said:

We have a Lion 32" + single burner + double door.  Paid $2000 total including tax.  Can't remember what the breakout was, but I think the grill itself was $1450.  Whole system works great and looks fine.  Caveat: We're not big (read: snobby) grill people.

Bones, is your's the briquette?  I am reading about the infrared models as it is a new technology.  I haven't talked to anyone who has actually purchased one.  Most people with built ins have the older briquette models which I have personally used.  It gets messy after awhile and the ignitor goes out after a couple years.  The infrared is suppose to cook faster and more even for meats but I don't know how it tastes.

Don't really want to spend more than $2500 on a built-in grille.  Better materials, warranty, etc

But is there really a difference between stainless steel grates and brass grates, lol

irvineboy said:
bones said:
irvineboy said:

Bones, is your's the briquette?  I am reading about the infrared models as it is a new technology.  I haven't talked to anyone who has actually purchased one.  Most people with built ins have the older briquette models which I have personally used.  It gets messy after awhile and the ignitor goes out after a couple years.  The infrared is suppose to cook faster and more even for meats but I don't know how it tastes.

Don't really want to spend more than $2500 on a built-in grille.  Better materials, warranty, etc

But is there really a difference between stainless steel grates and brass grates, lol

I'm not really sure what a briquette is but a quick google search shows that it's some sort of charcoal or coal used as fuel?  The one I have is gas with an infrared back burner for the rotisserie.  But I'll be honest with you, my knowledge on grills is not comprehensive and I'm sure some big TI dude will come along and say I'm all wrong in everything I'm saying :)

I think you should be able to find something decent for <$2500.

bones said:
ps9 said:

It doesn't always have to be about resale.  But I guess for some folks it is - pay for the $8k built-in fridge but sit on an Ikea couch.

Yup - add target furniture to that tacky/cheap furniture. (Kids room okay)

Ready2Downsize said:
Briquette.

Don't know what they have now. Our bbq is 16+ years old.

Love, love love the backyard barbeque.

Thats good to hear your bbq lasted a long time.

So share some of your bbq grill recipes. :)

The barbecues galore house brand is called turbo.  Used a Turbo built in at a rental for a year and my parents had a stand alone, I thought the build quality was poor and the uneven heating made them a pain to use.  Most of the more expensive brands (Firemagic, Lynx, DCS) are made in the USA.  I believe AOG and Sedona are the lower priced brands of Firemagic and Lynx.  You can get those for around $2000, and while I've never used them, I found very few complaints about them while doing my research.  I've used Weber stand alones and like them,  the Weber Summit built in is nice, but is not a standard cutout due to the lower doors included.  Lion and Blaze are good cheaper built-ins, manufactured in China (which seems like a 4 letter word these days on this forum) but I believe assembled in the US.  They run around $1400.  Lion is based nearby in Ontario, we bought one and have been happy with it.  I was able to get the local dealer to take $200 off.  If you can, head into the IE to buy, they seem to be more willing to bargain out there.

We bought a Grand Turbo 38" that sits on a cart back in 1996 and it still works great.  BBQ Galore sells replacement parts for anything that breaks, and they use the high quality stainless steel in the grates and the body components.

We had a Weber before that and felt that the Grand Turbo is a much better grill in terms of temperature regulation which resulted in better tasting food.  It had higher BTU than the Weber so grilled steaks came out nicer.  Our Weber rusted in a couple years.

We just bought a Fire Magic built-in for our new home that has a sear burner.  Allows steaks to be seared at high temperature just like at the steakhouses.

BBQ's are highly personal; just like cars.  You can buy low end BBQ's with just the basics or high end BBQ's with all the options.  All the high end brands like Lynx, Fire Magic, and Twin Eagles are well made, cook well and have incredible warranties.  We chose Fire Magic because of the side burner that my wife wanted.  She wanted a side burner that had high BTU and Fire Magic's was considerably cheaper than Lynx.

One thing that makes these high end BBQ's expensive is the stainless steel.  Restaurant quality stainless is expensive and there's a lot of that in these BBQ's.  I still have my Grand Turbo and the stainless steel still looks in mint condition despite being kept outdoors for 8 years. 

The Weber warranty is only 2 years on paint.  The metal body will rust and the longer warranty only covers rust through (as in a hole in the metal).

Back