Built-In and Media Niche

LAtoOC

Hello -

We are looking for some referrals to put a built-in media niche/center in our home. We have one recommendation but they came in at a pretty high price so I was hoping to find a few other quotes. The other threads on here are 2+ years old so I am starting a new one.

Thanks!

I am also currently in the process of getting quotes for my built-ins.  I have gotten estimates from several people already and I got most of them from Angie's List.  Also got a quote from Cabinet's Plus.  Everyone below got an A rating on Angie's plus and had at least a few reviews.  Some had much more.  My project was a media Built in for a space of 8' x 8'. 

Pete Pena
(714) 957-6242
(714) 679-5999
(866) 696-7798 (fax)
www.wood-crafters.net

Pete came by and touted his 91 positive reviews on Angie's list which is quite impressive.  He barely measured the area and just told me it would cost $3500 for the Media Built-in.  Seems to do pretty much any kind of custom furniture work and has tons of positive reviews on Angie's list.

Greg from Cabinets Plus
1021 Duryea Ave
Irvine CA 92614
(949) 951-7069
(949) 859-8194 (fax)

Greg Came by and did a pretty thorough measurement of the space and quoted me $3170 for the Media Built-in.  Looked them up on Angie's list and they only have 2 reviews.  both positive though.  Not entirely sure they use the highest quality wood.  might be MDF.  Less custom than other guys.

Bob Kwasny
12907 S Budlong Ave
Gardena CA 90247
(310) 323-4429
(310) 890-8084
(310) 323-4429 (fax)
www.kwasnycabinets.com

Bob wanted to charge me for coming out to do the estimate so I emailed him pictures and measurements.  His quote came in at ~$4,000

David Feeney
18081 Theodora Dr
Tustin CA 92780
714) 457-7930
(714) 669-1306
(714) 669-1306 (fax)
www.creativewoodworksoc.com

Was real nice, did a good job measuring the space.  Showed up with his Wife.  talked over design options assured me that he uses only the highest quality wood and paint.  Quoted me $3,850.  He also does crown moulding and other custom furniture options.

Paul McClintock
1473 Linden Ave.M
Riverside CA 92507
(951) 712-4800
(951) 781-6292 (fax)

Also very nice guy, assured me that he only uses the highest quality materials.  understood my design and had pretty good follow up.  He quoted me $4,200 for the job.
www.pmcabinets.com

Still waiting on one more quote from:

Pacific Coast Custom Design
10545 Ellis Ave
Fountain Valley , CA 92708
ph: 714-962-7500
pccdesign@yahoo.com

I had a built in done on my current house a couple of years ago off a flyer i found at a car repair shop.  it only cost $1300 for a similar space but while it was functional, it was by no means well crafted.  They basically brought it in and nailed it in but didn't fill in the nail holes.  So i think it is worthwhile to go with a decent cabinet maker who takes pride in their work.

Danny

I received a quote from Doug at Custombuilt-ins. 
He broke it down for me depending on materials I would want to use for my media niche. 
He seemed honest and straightforward and his price range was as varied as your quotes.  I haven't decided which grade to go with. 
Should I opt for the furniture grade wood or something in the middle?  The thermofoil is probably out.  What do people think?
He came in as follow:

TOTAL ESTIMATE. It includes cabinetmaking, finishing as needed, materials,delivery, installation and taxes.

White Furniture grade both units in hardwood paint grade solid wood with 3/4" mdf or  $4241.57

White Cabinet grade both units finished MDF 3/4" interior and exterior $3921.85

White Cabinet grade melamine white interior and painted white exterior $3428.68

White Cabinet  grade melamine white and thermofoil doors:  $2906.08

When you are painting it white, you want the cheapest wood that is not particle board.  Simply because good wood is used so you can stain it and show off the natural lines in the wood. When painting white, you don't need good wood for the builtin.

If you are painting it-  you'll get better results if you have your painter spray it rather than using a brush.  They will need to mask off the area-- but the results are worth it.

bearman81 said:
qwerty said:
we are thinking of doing a built in desk in our loft upstairs, im going to call this guy, got good reviews on yelp.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/millworkcraft-fullerton#query:Carpenter
http://www.millworkcraft.com

Any one work with this guy?  Emailed him twice and no response...nothing!  Probably already too busy I guess?  ???

i emailed him, he got got back to us saying that he was booked through the end of august and that if we could wait till then he would give us a quote, otherwise no piont in wasting anyones time.  we did get a quote from him which was much cheaper than some of the other ones my wife called. 

Finally got my media built-in done, two months later. 
Took forever, but looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    169.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    196.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    214 KB · Views: 376
Great timeline pictures Park.

So I assumed you used Doug.... would you recommend him to others?

What were the trials/tribulations you had?

Yes,  we worked with Doug.
There has been some challenges.  Overall, we got what we wanted at a reasonable price. 
But, I was there every step of the way to make sure nothing was missed.  Fortunately, I had picked a week for my install when I wasn't working so I was able to watch them like a hawk. 
He is also doing my closets and we are now on day 7 of my install and we have hopefully 1 more day to go.  Very time consuming.  I'm exhausted....

Park said:
I received a quote from Doug at Custombuilt-ins. 
He broke it down for me depending on materials I would want to use for my media niche. 
He seemed honest and straightforward and his price range was as varied as your quotes.  I haven't decided which grade to go with. 
Should I opt for the furniture grade wood or something in the middle?  The thermofoil is probably out.  What do people think?
He came in as follow:

TOTAL ESTIMATE. It includes cabinetmaking, finishing as needed, materials,delivery, installation and taxes.

White Furniture grade both units in hardwood paint grade solid wood with 3/4" mdf or  $4241.57

White Cabinet grade both units finished MDF 3/4" interior and exterior $3921.85

White Cabinet grade melamine white interior and painted white exterior $3428.68

White Cabinet  grade melamine white and thermofoil doors:  $2906.08

Your media center looks really nice. So how much did you spend?

Furniture grade.  $4200. 
The home-builder offered something less custom for around $6000.  So i'm glad I opted for what I did. It did take them forever from contract to delivery, 3 months and they left a mess in my garage. 

Back