Builder doesn't allow 3rd party inspector for pre-drywall walkthrough

incognito

Called my sales agent to inquire if there are any restrictions of having my own hired inspector with me during the pre-drywall walkthrough, and she says the builder doesn't allow it. Citing that "liability issue" and that the home will go through the city's inspector's inspection.

Does anyone else have this issue with having an independent hired inspector with you during the pre-drywall walkthrough? I get it if he was hanging off the support beams measuring and taking readings, but I don't think that's the case for a pre-drywall walkthrough inspection.

I was thinking maybe just hiring one and bring him with me anyways. Just say that he's my in-law or something...lol Could they actually deny access to someone that's with you?

Yes, I had this issue too.  My builder will allow an inspector for the final walk-through only.  Even if my inspector discovers any issues my builder states that it is their discretion whether these findings take precedent over their own inspection, city inspection, fire inspection, etc.

You can always bring along a "friend" as stated.  What worries me is if even if you do bring an issue to the builder's attention, whether the issues gets fixed.  You may never know if the issue is behind dry wall and you end up taking your builder's word that its been fixed.

My builder (KB Homes) did allow us to bring an inspector for the pre-drywall and he actually has unlimited access (no time limit).  We then sent them the report from the inspector and they did fix most of the issues noted (and explain the others why they think it doesn't need fixing).  All of these (report and the fixes) are documented.  As bad as KB's reputation is, at least they are transparent on this and it gives us peace of mind that at least it's inspected by a third-party expert of our choice.

I have talked about my experience with pre-drywall inspection in this thread:http://www.talkirvine.com/index.php/topic,11553.msg226229.html#msg226229

The problem with bringing a "friend" is that your "friend" cannot be a popular inspector (thus it will eliminate most of the reputable inspector).  These builder can easily recognize if you bring in Steve Latorre or other known inspectors.

Yeah, I was thinking of contacting Steve Latorre...who's to say that he's not my 'personal friend' doing me a 'favor'? lol

I was thinking of letting it get forgotten until we do our pre-drywall day. But it sounds like I need to escalate this up the chain on the builder side if I want to use Steve Latorre?

incognito said:
Yeah, I was thinking of contacting Steve Latorre...who's to say that he's not my 'personal friend' doing me a 'favor'? lol

I was thinking of letting it get forgotten until we do our pre-drywall day. But it sounds like I need to escalate this up the chain on the builder side if I want to use Steve Latorre?

I think the main reason they won't allow pre-drywall inspection is it can delay their schedule.  So probably, if you can have Steve come in a few days before they put up the drywall (even though its not yet complete), they might reconsider.  In our case, the schedule was they start putting drywall on Saturday.  We had our inspection on Wednesday (some of the insulation are still not yet up but all the electrical and other things inside the drywall are done).  Steve got us the report by Thursday which I forward right away to the supervisor, so they have Friday to fix the issues and document the fixes (took pictures of the fixes).  I also dropped by Friday night and saw some of the mentioned fixes.

GH said:
incognito said:

I think the main reason they won't allow pre-drywall inspection is it can delay their schedule.  So probably, if you can have Steve come in a few days before they put up the drywall (even though its not yet complete), they might reconsider.  In our case, the schedule was they start putting drywall on Saturday.  We had our inspection on Wednesday (some of the insulation are still not yet up but all the electrical and other things inside the drywall are done).  Steve got us the report by Thursday which I forward right away to the supervisor, so they have Friday to fix the issues and document the fixes (took pictures of the fixes).  I also dropped by Friday night and saw some of the mentioned fixes.

it only delays their schedule if there are mistakes.  and if there are mistakes they should be ok with fixing them and pushing back the timeline.  so essentially they are saying you cant bring your contractor because he will find mistakes and fixing those mistakes will push back our timeline and we cant really have that. Crazy.

incognito said:
Called my sales agent to inquire if there are any restrictions of having my own hired inspector with me during the pre-drywall walkthrough, and she says the builder doesn't allow it. Citing that "liability issue" and that the home will go through the city's inspector's inspection.
That's rich.  We won't risk the safety and welfare of professionals who walk work sites on a daily basis, but you buyers are free to look around.  Seems the only liability is to the builder's bottom like if their screw-ups are found.

daedalus said:
That's rich.  We won't risk the safety and welfare of professionals who walk work sites on a daily basis, but you buyers are free to look around.  Seems the only liability is to the builder's bottom like if their screw-ups are found.

I agree. My response will include pointing this out (except for the last statement of course  ;) , to keep it civilized). Also, I would expect that any licensed contractor would carry their own liability insurance?

incognito said:
daedalus said:

I agree. My response will include pointing this out (except for the last statement of course  ;) , to keep it civilized). Also, I would expect that any licensed contractor would carry their own liability insurance?

Steve did emailed me all his license information, insurance etc etc .. I asked the supervisor/sales if they need those documents, they said its fine.. he can come and go with us :)

Back