Bubble House

The bubble house is one of my favorite. I went to the one of the open house when this was in the market for $200,000 in San Marino hidden behind a tall shrub. I was fascinated by the idea of Wallace Neff. His legacy and design were imitated by many of today’s architects. His design was the inspiration for Crystal Cove, Northpark and Shady Canyon. He designed many homes for celebrities during the 20’s. He lived a very celebrated life. His designs were in many period styles. Spanish Colonial Revival and French provincial were his crowning achievements. His homes today are commanding the highest resale price. Madonna, Diane Keaton, Brad Pitt, and many other celebrities purchased his homes. During the 1940s as America entered into war domestic construction was cut back so steel and other quality material and manpower of craftsmen were shifted toward military projects. Architects were discouraged to practice beauty rather to emphasize function, economy, and efficiency. Architecture moved into direction of modernism and traditionalist like Wallace Neff also had to adapt for survival. Although many of his peers design very clean and minimalist and sterile buildings he always added some sort of crown and other moldings to his design.

The bubble house was his invention for quick shelter developed for military housing and MASH units for the war at the beaches of Normandy. He inflated an oiled rubber dome and poured concrete directly over it. 2 days later he deflated the rubber form and reused it for additional constructions. The US military utilized his invention for many years.

He never regained his celebrity status after the modern movement. He slowly deteriorated from Alzheimer and died at a convalescent home in 1982. His legacy would have been lost had not his son Wallace Neff Jr. published a book featuring the work of his father. There were only 5,000 copies printed. Architects in OC were copying his style and TIC was inspired to promote his classic styles. Housing in OC became the leader in the housing industry.

Rizzoli sold a lot of the Wallace Neff book closed its door at South Coast Plaza. Book Soup suffered the same fate. Only desirable Asian brands would do well at South Coast Plaza.

bkshopr,

I always enjoy your posts! They are very informative. I'll have to send this link to my brother to see what he thinks of the "bubble house". He is an architect working for Frank Gehry.

<p>Eva,</p>

<p>I love Richard Neutra's Lovell house in Silverlake 1920's and his Kaufmann house in Palm Springs 1940''s. I am a great admirer of his work. His son Dion Neutra was a good architectural lecturer. I attened some of his events years ago. A well known modernist Richard Meier the architect of the Getty followed Neutra's and Le Codusier's philosophy.</p>

<p>I think Frank Gehry is a great sculpturer. His work is very iconic and distinctive. I hate his houses but like his public projects. He has his brand!</p>

My brother also worked for Richard Meier in NYC and for Bolin Cywinski Jackson (BCJ). I agree with you that Gehry is a great sculptor. I like the Disney Concert Hall and some of his other buildings. The Experience Music Project was being built while my husband and I were in Seattle visiting my brother (he was working for BCJ at the time). Every time we'd walk by, my husband and I would look at it to try to figure out if we liked it or thought it was a monstrosity. By the time we left it grew on us. I haven't seen any of Gehry's houses other than his own (which I don't really like). My brother is currently working on the Princeton Library. He also worked on Pixar Studios and residences for several famous people while with BCJ. I'm not sure what he worked on while with Richard Meier.

<p>Waiting,</p>

<p>I admire most styles of architecture as long they are done with a great purity. The expression of glazing is often what dictated the vernacular. As windows get bigger and wider for expansive view traditional and classical styles become less appropriate. Modernism allows the expression of horizontality and corner windows. You have a very artsy family.</p>

<p>Eva,</p>

<p>Yes I know the the courthouse well. I am only 5 minutes away from there walking distance from my office. He also designed the 1955 admin building and bell tower for Bob Schuller of the Crystal Cathedral. Meier designed the new visitor museum and Phillip Johnson the glass cathedral. They are the hidden gem of OC. Many old structures in Santa Ana are also very noteworthy of its pedigree. Diane Keaton grew up in the California Monterey house in Floral Park and attended Santa Ana College. Marlon Brando also lived in Floral Park during the early 50's. The king and princess of India lived in Floral Park for 12 years back in the 1930's when India was a war torn country and the Japanese invaded everywhere.</p>

Back