Brokerage account protection ...SIPC only covers cash accounts

irvinefsbo_IHB

With INDYMac failing and its impact to many large mutual funds...its not a stretch to see some brokerages failing in the near term.

So I looked into brokerage account protection. SIPC which covers only $100K cash and up to $500K per account.

But the kicker is that it covers only cash accounts. Margin accounts means you signed a agreement to loan out your stock to others. Those others could go bankrupt and thus you become a creditor in their bankruptcy.

So be warned, either open another cash account at your brokerage or transfer the stocks to another brokerage...but be sure to specify cash account.

And for every stock you buy ....specify cash account.

Those of you with excess of $500K per account, better be using brokerages which have CAPCO or Lloyds of London excess SIPC insurance, or you are just asking to be robbed.

For more info check this link

http://pinnaclevaluefund.com/reports/StockStrat(26).indd.pdf

Protect yourself!...irvinefsbo

I couldn't get the original link to work.

I think this is the <a href="http://www.pinnaclevaluefund.com/reports/StockStrat(26).indd.pdf">link</a>:

LL, it's pretty much anything. Shorting, options, margin, etc. Pretty much any account upgrade beyond vanilla buy/sell stocks & bonds puts you in a margin account.

Found another article which explains why Margin Agreements are bad in your stock brokerage account.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/greenberg/2008/03/17/

Contained in virtually every brokerage firm?s standard Account Agreement (generally a Margin Account) is a provision that allows your brokerage to register all your securities in street name, meaning their own. Every security you buy, even if you pay for it in full, might technically belong to your brokerage firm. It could be that all you really own is a claim on the firm for those stocks and bonds. When securities in your account are held in street name, says Eric Brunstad, Visiting Lecturer in Bankruptcy Law at Yale Law School, it?s really not your property. It?s like depositing money in a bank account. Your cash isn?t sitting in the vault in a box with your name on it. You are simply a creditor of the bank. Maybe you should have read the fine print, after all.

For many years, virtually all securities have been held and registered electronically. The elegantly-engraved paper certificates you might remember are largely historical curiosities. Rather, most securities have been dematerialized, and exist only on the electronic books of the issuer and an electronic depository house known as DTCC. The securities industry has promoted this practice of holding in street name as good for investors for a variety of reasons. They will tell you that it makes buying and selling much easier for you, collecting interest payments more timely and simple, and even protects you against the loss or theft of those nettlesome stock or bond certificates, while reducing the costs associated with transfers and deposits. These things are all true.

As is typical with most things brokerage firms and their regulators tell you, however, there is far more to this than meets the eye. In fact, when your securities are held in the name of your brokerage or bank, they, not you, have most the rights of ownership. The issuer corresponds only with them, and sends them interest and dividend payments, and the forms to vote on corporate issues.

The broker then passes these communications on to you, in the form of envelopes you likely never open or ignore. (Do you fill out every proxy vote request you receive from your brokerage in the mail?) If you don?t vote your proxy, by the way, your broker can cast those votes on some matters, or possibly lend the stock and the right to cast the votes to someone else (say a hedge fund making a takeover offer.) Basically it?s as when you didn?t vote in a Presidential election, your political party?s bosses got to cast your vote! Your broker can do a lot of far more nettlesome things with your securities than just vote, though.

THE FINE PRINT

Those fine print of an account agreement generally includes one clause that reads something like this:

All securities, commodities and other property held, carried or maintained by you in your possession in any of my accounts may be pledged and repledged by you from time to time, without notice to me, either separately or in common with other such securities, commodities and other property for any amount due in my accounts or for any greater amount, and you may do so without retaining in your possession or control for delivery a like amount of similar securities, commodities and/or other property. (Arvest Securities Account Agreement)

This means your broker, subject to SEC rules, can lend your stock (and charge a hefty fee) to short sellers, hedge funds, corporate raiders and buyout funds and possibly even give them voting rights and control for key periods, and not have offsetting collateral in house. In short, they can mine these vast holdings of other people?s securities for all sorts of fees and income ? earnings that run into the billions every year. Your broker generally keeps all this money. As the Bear Stearns Clearing agreement puts it, ?As a result of such activities?the Clearing Agent Group may receive and retain certain benefits to which you will not be entitled.?

And if a broker fails? Again, Mike:

If a brokerage were to be taken over by the Securities Investor Protection Corp (SIPC - the governing authority) for insolvency, says Brunstad, first, customer name securities are distributed back to their owners. Securities held in street name, (the vast majority) however, would likely be included in the pot of customer property, which is later distributed ratably to customers. This could make it difficult for you to recover all of your securities, in some instances possibly tying them up for several years, according to the U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO-03-811 , Report to Congress: (Securities Investor Protection, July 2003, pp. 23.)

[quote author="No_Such_Reality" date=1216011641]LL, it's pretty much anything. Shorting, options, margin, etc. Pretty much any account upgrade beyond vanilla buy/sell stocks & bonds puts you in a margin account.</blockquote>

Jeezus... How the hell am I supposed to make money if I can't short, buy put options on banks and builders, and buy calls on the ultra short ETFs? Man... what fun is it to just buy shares of the ultra short ETFs? Sounds lame to me.

Okay... lets think about this for a second. Is your brokerage going to use your account and the stocks you hold, as collateral? What is your largest holding? 100 shares, maybe a 1000 shares of a particular stock? Would they use your 100 or 1000 shares as collateral, when there are several other accounts that hold 100,000 shares of that stock you hold. Are they so desperate that they need to use your 100 shares of SRS, BTW that is a lot a nearly $11k, or are they going to find the account that holds 10,000 or 100,000 shares first? Just sayin...

<blockquote>This means your broker, subject to SEC rules, can lend your stock (and charge a hefty fee) to short sellers, hedge funds, corporate raiders and buyout funds and possibly even give them voting rights and control for key periods, and not have offsetting collateral in house. In short, they can mine these vast holdings of other people?s securities for all sorts of fees and income ? earnings that run into the billions every year. Your broker generally keeps all this money. As the Bear Stearns Clearing agreement puts it, ?As a result of such activities?the Clearing Agent Group may receive and retain certain benefits to which you will not be entitled.?</blockquote>

Awesome! So, if they are collecting fees from people shorting and the margins they have to use, then they are raking in the fees with all the short interest we are seeing. Then they collect commissions on any short covering rally. What a double whammy of fees they just collected in on day, sometimes twice a day in this market.

Alright, if you are really that paranoid, go check out the reserves of your brokerage, and how much they leverage. I bet your brokerage is a publicly traded stock and that info is available to you. There is a reason why a short order won't always go through when there is too many shorts.

And, no, it does not apply to a margin account with just cash, they need to pledge an actual security as collateral, and IIRC they have to pledge the same security that is being borrowed on the other end.

Level 1 cash accounts are all that are covered by SiPC, and they are only covered to the extent that the SPIC has the money to cover. The SiPC is not a Federal Reserve or government organization and as soon as the SPIC is out of funds, that's it. It's done. No more money. And guess who funds the SiPC? The brokerages. Hmm-m-m-m. So, if the brokerages start going under, your account is insured by the brokerages going under.

Most brokerages these days automatically steer you towards opening a Level 2 margin account, whether you know it or not when you open the account. Funds is a level 2 account are not covered by SiPC, nor are level 3 funds and assets, nor are level 4 assets and funds. You must open a level 4 account in order to short and very few people have a level 4 account.

And when you purchase stocks in your account, you must specify "cash" to keep your purchased assets at level 1, cash, status.

All assets in level 2 and above may be borrowed by the brokerage. Level 1 assets may not be borrowed by your brokerage.

zovall:

Cash is fine as long as you keep it under $100K per account. But awgee is right, if SIPC runs out of funds, game over. However, I do think the federal government SEC needs to step in, to not panic others who own stock brokerage accounts.

graphix:

Brokerage accounts automatically journal any margin account shares into a pool of stocks to be used by other clients. They don't pick and chose which accounts to get their shares from at the time of shorting. So you can bet they will use your shares if you hold them in a margin account.

I had to get rid of the margin agreement on my account with stock holdings, otherwise every night, Fidelity would sweep the stocks into their margin pool. I did open another account with margin, in case I wanted to short or buy options.

I find it interesting, that IRA and UGTMA accounts are automatically cash accounts and can't be margined. Must be a law somewhere.

I'm not paranoid and not trying to panic everyone, but after reading so many "shocked and upset" whinings on other blogs from the IndyMac failure, I felt I need to speak up. I do think they are whinings, because anyone reading the news for the last year knew IndyMac was going to fail, it was just a matter of time.

So if your brokerage fails, and you held your securities in a margin account and can't get your stocks out for months?years?, don't come whining on this board! You will receive no sympathy from me.

I can not attest to the accuracy of this information, but I read that on 12/31/06 the SiPC had a grand total of $3.4 billion to pay claims, and that includes lines of credit. I wonder just how far $3.4 billion would go.

I was reading the SIPC stuff last night. I no were so the distinction between cash and margin accounts. Nor named versus street name. However I've been sick with the sinus cold thing going around and my attention to detail is subpar.

So since I'm lazy and tend not to print my online bills out, I suppose I should return to killing trees so I get a mailed statement every month that provides a record.

As for my brokerage reserves, I could look it up, but then, I just think of Bear Stearns...

I wonder what percentage of the population will be cheering if the first brokerage folds and people lose their money? If SIPC can't cover, the run on brokerages will create one hell of a mess.

When in doubt, ask. Attached is a response from SiPC regarding my question

<em>To: SiPC

Hello, A question has come up that I cannot find clearly answered in your FAQ or online site. Someone mentioned that the SIPC only covers accounts that are Level 1 Cash Accounts only. If you account is a Margin Account or you keep your stocks in "street name" you are not covered. Is that correct or incorrect? Can you provide a link or information on the coverage of the different brokerage account types? Thank you, NSR</em>

Answer:

In a liquidation proceeding under the Securities Investor Protection Act customers of a failed brokerage firm get back all securities that already are registered in their name or are in the process of being registered (customer name securities). After the return of customer name securities, the firm's remaining assets make up the "fund of customer property." The fund of customer property is divided on a pro rata basis with funds shared in proportion to the size of claims. The fund of customer property includes all of the customers' securities held in "Street Name." Today the majority of securities held by broker-dealers are held in street name. If securities are still missing after the pro rata distribution, the customer would then be entitled to the coverage provided by SIPC, up to the statutory limit.

For example, if 5% of customer assets at a brokerage are missing, and 95% are recovered, each customer would receive 95% of the property in his or her account. SIPC would then advance up to $500,000 ($100,000 maximum for cash) to each customer in making up the shortfall. Additional funds may be available to satisfy the remainder of customer claims after the cost of liquidating the brokerage firm is taken into account.

SIPC coverage is per customer account. In a liquidation proceeding under the Securities Investor Protection Act, SIPC may advance up to $500,000 per customer account (including a $100,000 limit on cash in the account from the sale of or the purchase of securities). If a customer has more than one account, it must be in a separate capacity, i.e., a person could have an individual account, that person's spouse could have an individual account, the couple could have a joint account, each of them could have an IRA account, and each of them could also have a Roth IRA account. Each of the accounts would be covered. The Series 100 Rules provide additional information on separate accounts and are available on SIPC's website, www.sipc.org <http://192.168.0.42/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.sipc.org> , under "Who We Are" subheading "Statute and Rules." Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require additional information or assistance.

If you had a margin account and your broker-dealer was the subject of a liquidation proceeding under the Securities Investor Protection Act, there are three possibilities as to how your account would be handled. Regardless of which methodology is used, however, the level of protection would be the same. One possibility is that your account would be transferred to a solvent brokerage firm. Your account would receive up to as much as $500,000 over and above the pro rata share of "customer property" to which you are entitled. In such a situation the new brokerage firm would take over the margin balance, and you would then owe the new firm that balance. If no firm was ready, willing and able to accept your account, you would have the opportunity to pay off your margin balance and receive all of the securities in your account. Once again, you would receive your proportionate share of "customer property" and SIPC could advance to you as much as $500,000 to make your account whole. Finally, if you chose not to pay off your margin balance, that balance would be debited against your account and you would be eligible to receive the net balance after your margin debt was satisfied. Again you would receive a pro rata share of customer property and to the extent that was insufficient an advance of up to $500,000.

Thanks for the official response, NSR.

"Fidelity Investments is one of the nation's largest providers of financial services with custodied assets of $1.4 trillion, including managed assets of $875.6 billion. Fidelity offers investment management, retirement, brokerage and shareholder services to 17 million individuals and institutions as well as through 5,500 financial intermediaries."

"SiPC had a grand total of $3.4 billion to pay claims, and that includes lines of credit"

Hmmm... if Fidelity failed lost 50% of assets = $700 billion vs $3.4 billion "insurance". Let the 17 million individuals fight it out over the $3.4 billion customer pool which equals 20 cents on the dollar.

I will take my cash account and get paid first, thank you!

<em>"In a liquidation proceeding under the Securities Investor Protection Act customers of a failed brokerage firm get back all securities that already are registered in their name or are in the process of being registered (customer name securities)."</em>

This is a level 1 cash account. When the SiPC runs out of money, that's it. What if 100% of customer assets are "missing"? I have read the SIPC's verbiage many times, and bottom line is that if a couple or a few brokerages go bankrupt, and you have stocks or funds with them in other than a cash account, you are screwed.

As of December 31, 2007, SIPC reports that it had assets of approximately $1.5 billion.

Are any of you wondering why the SEC is only enforcing the laws against naked short selling for shares of large corporate financial stocks?

Back