Breaking News: Miss Irvine Leaves Irvine

socal78

After test-driving the Irvine lifestyle for several years (and Tustin / Tustin Ranch a decade before that), I sought refuge for a home purchase in Foothill Ranch and found it. To pay respect to TalkIrvine's "founding fathers" at Irvine Housing Blog, whose information and advice greatly helped me all the way up from three years ago until yesterday - the very day of closing, I decided to post about it there. Click below if interested in reading more:

SoCal78 buys a house.

If anyone has questions on the area and how it compares to what you're used to in Irvine, I'm happy to answer any questions using the information I've gathered during this process.

Congrats on the purchase, I hope that I'll be able to find a good deal like yourself when my time comes next year. 

Congratulations.

Foothill Ranch is a solid choice and one of the substitute places we look at when irritated by the Irvine prices.

Now you get to do my favorite part... moving.

Just kidding... I hate moving. Good luck.

Congrats SoCal78!  Your IHB post said you used SGIP for lender but it sounds like you also used USCTrojanCPA as your agent.  Is that correct?

Any other people from the IHB/TalkIrvine community that helped you along the way? 

rkp said:
Congrats SoCal78!  Your IHB post said you used SGIP for lender but it sounds like you also used USCTrojanCPA as your agent.  Is that correct?

Any other people from the IHB/TalkIrvine community that helped you along the way? 

Thanks, everybody.

Good question, rkp. I used IrvineRealtor.

SoCal78,

Congratulations on the new home!!! I am very happy for you and your family. Good luck with the move.

Pat Star said:
Congratulations SoCal!!  It was a pleasure to watch you on your journey to finding your perfect place, at the same time I was on that same journey.  Funny how two former IHB hardcore Irvine-lovers like ourselves ultimately decided the best place was somewhere else. 

All the best to you and your family.  And from one parent to another (with children the same age), do not stress out about the school transition at all.  That was our biggest fear, and it turned out to be a complete non-event --- and we even did it in the middle of a school year.  Kids are very adapable at the elementary school age, and will seamlessly transition into the new environment.  And I am sure you will also quickly realize that all that hype about the Irvine schools was just that, and won't find yourself missing IUSD at all.  As long as you are in a safe community with like-minded (i.e. involved) parents focused on their children, everything will be just fine.

Congrats!!  :)

Pat Star, I made sure to have them delay closing until the date was 8/8.  ;) I hope those Chinese lucky numbers come in handy! I hope everything is going well in your new area. Yes, it seems several old IHB folks have all suddenly bought homes. There must be something in the water.

Yeah... even people on OCReader are buying.

We still haven't found the right house for the right price... but indicators seem to be pointing our way. Not sure how the limit drop in jumbo conforming is going to play out (if it does indeed get dropped) and the news that the Fed is going to hold rates is both good and bad (good in that interest rates will stay low, bad in that prices might stay high).

The good thing is the longer we wait... the more we save so that puts us in a better position... although I'm struggling with actually wanting to spend those savings (I would rather the prices just keep going lower... heh).

It's good to hear that people are finding a place that fits them.

Socal... Congrats on your new home...!  So happy your family escape from the bubble; Yes, it?s possible; for you other Irvine wives/moms out there...!  Almost missed this thread... glad you had a catchy title...

Now that you?re out of Irvine, your boys can also enjoy things like...

digging for gophers...
6028942045_68ce39c120.jpg

spraying ants with a water gun...
6029499854_628c2d0453.jpg

fill buckets with a waterhose...
6029152727_6d2d437078.jpg

You know simple childhood memories... every kid should have...

I'm getting lots of PMs today! I'll try my best to respond to them all in a timely manner. I am painting today so I might be a little slow but I will check back. I see some of you want to discuss your own upcoming transactions and current deals. It's fine with me if you want to talk through PM, so by all means - feel free to continue sending me messages. I'll try to help you out however I can with whatever questions you've got. I'm all for helping each other out.

Here's some general questions that might be of interest to the general readership:

1. How long have you been looking?

2. When did you decide on Foothill Ranch?

3. What were your top 3 cities outside of Irvine?

4. Did you find ANY homes in Irvine that you liked that were within your budget?

5. How many homes have you seen/toured?

6. Did you make offers on more than one home?

You can answer any of the above that you don't feel are too invasive.

roundcorners said:
So happy your family escape from the bubble; Yes, it?s possible; for you other Irvine wives/moms out there...! 

Oh, we've lived plenty outside the bubble before. Hey, I even did a crazy 5 year stint in Chino once. I don't need Irvine and no longer really prefer it over other areas but experience has taught me that I am content to stay in Orange County. I'm sure I could change my mind on that one day in the future, though. (Hello, retirement!)

Love the pics. He's really growing! He's SO cute! I think he needs a sibling!  :D

Good idea. I'll follow your lead. Answers in blue below. If it hurts your eyeballs, raise your hand and I'll see about changing either the size or color.

irvinehomeowner said:
Here's some general questions that might be of interest to the general readership:

1. How long have you been looking? It's hard to day. Actively browsing? Three years. Although, the day I bought my last house 8 years ago out of the area, the first question I asked myself is, "When do we move back?" So, I've had my eye on this more permanent move for a very long time... plotting and planning to get to this point. Ten + years ago, it was the same story. This has been a very, VERY long time in the making, overall!! Buying a decent home in Orange County is something I've been trying to do for many years while... life happened. I had skimmed over Foothill Ranch in the past years but didn't really know what we wanted yet. So, I watched and waited. Waited and watched. And watched some more. Until I no longer knew if I there was any point in waiting. In the mean time, the landscape of Irvine changed quite a bit here in our neighborhood in a way I didn't really care for. So, I revisited the idea of FR and found it to be a very attractive choice. The minute I decided to quit waiting, I called Scott. I had only 3 houses that I wanted to see and we did so immediately. The very first house we saw is the one I bought. I knew it was going to be but saw one last home - a 4th - just for good measure. So, the first of only four. One trip out there and I was done! The timing was right. The house was right. The price was right. So, once I decided to make a decision, it all came together extremely quickly. So, in some ways, it literally took a third of my life... and in other ways, it was instant, depending on how you look at it.  :)

2. When did you decide on Foothill Ranch? The second before I bought the house.  :D Wait, let me try again. When I saw all the amazing shopping, dining, and entertainment there?? Scratch that. When I realized I could have a detached 4-bedroom home up in the hills with a yard for a bargain... less than I was planning on spending. Home prices had come down while I stopped paying attention to what was going on there and I was quite surprised and elated to see what was in store . Once we decided, it was: bam-bam-BAM! Fast. It still hasn't really sunk in!

3. What were your top 3 cities outside of Irvine? In no specific order: Yorba Linda, Tustin Ranch, Foothill Ranch. I've test-driven two of those and now I'm about to live in the third. All are nice and have a special place in my heart but for me, this is definitely the most logical choice (so farrrrrr.)

4. Did you find ANY homes in Irvine that you liked that were within your budget? There were homes in my budget. There were homes I thought were just so-so. I didn't hate them but I didn't love them. Well, okay. Some of them I hated. I actually didn't even bother seeing any of them with the intent of making an offer because I just couldn't get serious enough about them even from what I saw on the MLS. They didn't have the lot size or features I was looking for. Or, they'd have one or the other but not both. I want both and I want it at a better price. It started to become less and less about the house, though, and more about the atmosphere. It's a much different vibe here than it was ten years ago. It wasn't just a house I couldn't find that I liked very much, it was a neighborhood that I couldn't find.

5. How many homes have you seen/toured? Only 4 in FR. But I knew after I saw the 1st one that I was going to be living in it... and that is what happened. You see it, you like it, you know it, you buy it. Simple.  :)

6. Did you make offers on more than one home? Not really. I did place an offer on a Yorba Linda home back in December but it never went anywhere. I'm glad it didn't. I didn't love that house at all... just did it for the timing and location. I didn't even make more than one offer on THIS home! I made one and only one. We crammed it down their throat and they took it.  ;) It was extremely fast!!

You can answer any of the above that you don't feel are too invasive. Not invasive at all. As long as it doesn't involve my mother's maiden name or my Social Security Number, I'll take a crack at anything you guys have got.  ;)

Awesome responses SoCal.

You're like a House Hunters episode, you saw three homes (well... 4 but who's counting) and chose one. Very interesting how it was "one shot one kill" on the offer... I think that's rare but both buyer and seller must have been in tune.

I have one other question (for now):

Do you have to do lots of upgrades/updates?

One of the issues with having to buy resale is that more often than not, the owners' style is not the same as ours or there are things that need to be changed because of age. Except for our first home, every time we move in, we totally change the flooring and paint. Usually just those two items are enough to make it feel brand new and more like ours (although flooring can be really expensive).

That's funny you mention the reference to House Hunters. I love that show and it did feel like it. (Although, I'm sure they see more than three in real life but only display three. LOL.) The only thing that would have made it complete would be my favorite part of that show (or is it "My First Place"?) - where they all sit at the closing table together with their real estate attorneys (or agents?), the seller hands the keys to the buyer, and then all hug or cry and sometimes bring champagne. LOL! Unfortunately, it doesn't happen that way here in California.  ;) Although, my escrow officer was a really sweet lady and we joked about that moment as she likes to watch that show, too.

Yes, I think we were in tune with each other regarding the value of the home. From their perspective, it seemed to be a couple with grown kids whose marriage was splitting up. The house was empty, with just a few things of his left. They seemed more than ready to move on with their lives. Since the house was empty and there was no "greed indicator" in the asking price (like $525,900) I thought that would be an ideal target. It would also make things like inspection and gaining access to the property much easier. That's an ideal situation, imo. I didn't realize the house existed until it had already been on the market for about 3 weeks. They had listed at one so-so price. Then they came down a little. We saw the home and thought about it. Meanwhile, they called IrvineRealtor to say they were motivated and to look for a price drop. I wasn't expecting much so I sat on it. Then I saw the drop with my own eyes and it was sort of astounding to me. More than I would have expected. So, I thought, "If they'll go there without any coercion, what will they do if I twist their arm?!" We made an offer below their already great price. It was July 4th weekend and we didn't hear anything. We were getting antsy. I was beginning to think they were not as motivated as I thought they were. Meanwhile, I was having concerns over what would happen to rates since I had not locked yet! I told IrvineRealtor that if they want to play with us, they should get back to me soon. He told them they best take the offer as-is (hehehehe. I love that part.) They did! When we got the contract back, I saw they had actually signed an acceptance as soon as they got it. It just wasn't returned sooner due to the holiday weekend. Nice to know their mind was still in the game.

I got the house for 6% off their original asking price.

"Do you have to do lots of upgrades/updates?"

One of the things I liked about this house is that it's pretty much turn-key. The house is upgraded. It's been recently painted both on the exterior and the interior. The flooring is all either new or newer. Same with the kitchen. Same with the baths. New/er counters, toilets, tile, paint, baseboards, paneled doors, etc. Their selections may not have been precisely what I would have picked out myself but neutral enough so that I don't feel the need to re-do their remodeling... at least for the time-being. I may make some changes here and there - nothing drastic. Might replace some carpet with different flooring, might repaint. It's not urgent, though. I will probably wait to do more drastic remodels such as kitchen for a time in the future when styles change and granite is no longer "in". If I were to remodel that stuff now, it wouldn't look a ton different. I will wait until it either is in need of repair or I just want the house to stay current. I don't plan on doing more than one major renovation while I live there so I'll probably wait closer to the time that I am the seller myself and want it to look attractive to a potential buyer... whatever the fads are at that time. Know what I mean?

Any home new or old, the new resident will want to make some personal changes, so I've always expected to do something. I'm just glad it's nothing major. As long as the important stuff is out of the way, I'm content to make smaller changes over a longer period of time as needed.

SoCal78 said:
That's funny you mention the reference to House Hunters. I love that show and it did feel like it. (Although, I'm sure they see more than three in real life but only display three. LOL.) The only thing that would have made it complete would be my favorite part of that show (or is it "My First Place"? - where they all sit at the closing table together with their real estate attorneys (or agents?), the seller hands the keys to the buyer, and then all hug or cry and sometimes bring champagne. LOL! Unfortunately, it doesn't happen that way here in California.  ;) Although, my escrow officer was a really sweet lady and we joked about that moment as she likes to watch that show, too.
Homebuying has certainly become more impersonal over the years.

On our first home, we met with the sellers several times (who does that unless the seller happens to be home at the time of a tour?) and they even checked in on us after we moved in to see if we had any questions. I think nowadays, sellers and buyers rarely talk to each other and all communication is through the agents.

It's good that you got a "turkey" (<-- IHB reference) home... it's enough you have to move but if you have to renovate too... bleh. And that's the hard part about a price inflated area like Irvine... to get a lower price, you need to get a fixer... because all the FCBs bid up the upgraded ones.

Congrats again and one of the best things I like about Foothill Ranch (although some may not agree)... Walmart. Heh.

Congrats SoCal!

I wanted to post here, rather than on your IHB thread as this is your place and I don't say enough how much I appreciate it.

Wishing you all the best in the new digs!!!

and off-topic, but interesting:

I too find that the %commission for the buyer's agent being hidden and relitters stearing you based on that foul.

And recently I found out that it isn't universal.  I have been looking at a few other markets accross the country (job relocation possibilities), and find that the buyer's agent % is listed on the MLS.

Why doesn't the SoCal MLS list the %????  (IR2/USC/others comments?)

Back