Brazilian Blowout

irvinesinglemom

I got one today. No, it's NOT what you're thinking!

Mayumi at Woodbury's MK Hair Design did it for me. My hair is now wavy instead of super curly, and I feel like a million bucks.

Ooh, this intrigues me. I have somewhat curly hair that I straighten, but I'm lazy. Does this treatment last a long time? What makes it Brazilian? Does it add shine, etc?

It's called that just because that's the name of the product that's used in the process. It took about 90 minutes after the initial consultation. Your hair is washed, washed, washed and washed again. (Four times, really!). Then the cream is combed into your hair, it's blown dry, flat ironed, then you are washed (again!). Then one final quick blow dry and viola, no more brillo head! Supposedly lasts around 2-3 months, and your hair gradually returns to its full, frizzy glory. Since it's not permanent like the Japanese/Yuko process is, I didn't hesitate to try it. You don't need to cut it off if you don't like it; just wait a couple months. But how could you not like it? I went from hair that the boys in high school used to blow spit balls into to see how many would stick (most did), to hair that actually is soft, feminine, and well, NORMAL looking. I went out and bought a hair brush because now I can actually brush it! It even hangs better in a ponytail, rather than sticking straight out all wiry and coarse. THis is the kind of hair that men are used to seeing on all the actresses on tv and in movies, and I'm sure they find it more attractive than the frizz bomb I was born with. Whoever created this stuff is a genius!

It's $250, and there was/is a holiday special for $50 off sponsored by BB itself (they reimburse salons), or the option that I took which was to get the shampoo and conditioner for free. You're supposed to use this special stuff so the blowout lasts longer. In my opinion you could also use Enjoy Luxury products or any other products that don't have sulfates, and I'll probably do that from now on if there any more promotions. I love Enjoy Luxury shampoo and conditioner, but I just am a sucker for new and different hair products :-[

Wow... Thanks for the info ISM! I used to spend way more than that on the Japanese permanent straightening (Hiroshi, not Yuko) that left my hair straight, but very, very flat as well.

Not to get too personal, but do you color your hair? When I did Hiroshi, it would strip the color and I couldn't color it again for about a week. Having multi-colored flat hair for a week is what made me give up straightening.

Yup, I color. This treatment seals the color in rather than stripping it. I did a Japanese straightening about 4 years ago so I know what I'm talking about - this is so much better than anything I have ever done to my hair...I can't stop checking myself out in every mirror I pass. I look just like Brooke Shields!!!! (Well, except for my face, body, and well, just about everything. But my hair is just like hers only shorter. Okay, I know I'm dating myself here. How about Mary Louise Parker in Seasons 1 and 2 of Weeds? (I haven't rented the rest of the seasons yet from Netflix.) Okay, still dating myself. Whatever - I'm forty now, dammit, and not ashamed to admit that I actually listened to Jon Secada and Gloria Estefan in college. It was Miami, after all!

Is there such thing as a reverse BB or a blow in? My hair is as straight as a board and almost never holds a curl.

I'm looking for a less permanent perm! It would be nice to go out one night with Farrah Fawcett hair that lasts beyond the threshold of my front door.

I was at the salon getting a cut yesterday and asked about the Brazilian. I was told it would be perfect for my hair type because it would allow me to wear my hair straight, or curly but without frizz. It sounds mighty tempting! I want to look like Brooke Shields too, just like irvinesinglemom! The only thing that's stopping me for now is the hefty price tag...

What a bummer I see the tread title and jump directly to the link and you are talking about hair.

Then I realized this wasn't that "kind of site".

Pondering if I should share this with my wife. 250 clams huh?.....hmm. She does spend alot of time in the restroom trying to straighten her hair. This might free up the restroom for me.

But I truly think with her round face, she looks better with wavy hair, though.

Well... Got this done last night (at my usual salon, not ISM's), and my hair is STRAIGHT with just a little lift at the roots. It is AMAZING, and my hair feels good too. It might even be a little too straight for me, so I will try to style it today so that it has a bit more lift, which I understand you can do. I'll keep y'all posted, but I so far I think it was worth it.

Also, at my salon, I had to pay for the shampoo and conditioner. So I might suggest the Woodbury place if you want to save ~$75.

The Talk Irvine ladies are gonna have the best hair on the internet!

I'm still pondering getting this done. Did anyone who's had it get any eye or skin irritation? I've heard that can happen during the treatment. I have sensitive skin so I always worry.

I still need to get it done. This weekend looks busy too:-(
Want nice hair when I go to India.. otherwise everyone will wonder what happened to the long straight hair they saw last time..

[quote author="traceimage"]The Talk Irvine ladies are gonna have the best hair on the internet!

I'm still pondering getting this done. Did anyone who's had it get any eye or skin irritation? I've heard that can happen during the treatment. I have sensitive skin so I always worry.[/quote]

No. As best I can tell, it won't even touch your scalp. My hair gal left about an inch or so from the scalp before she applied the goo. Definitely ask though. Maybe they can do a skin / scalp test in advance with a little bit of the solution.

Back