BP is it worth the health risk?

IrvineRes88

Homes in BP seem to be less expensive compare to other new developments in Irvine. After reading about the toxicity & the questionable cleaning up efforts of the developer & the high school, is it worth the risk? So lower price for taking a chance on our health, putting our kids in a questionable health environment?  It is hard for me to decide. Many on this forum have expressed the con side but how about folks that have bought in BP, what made you buy in BP?

BP is not located directly on top of potential tox site.  The questionable area is located on south west corner of the base and they are not building  any residential over there.  And there will be even more housing develop between BP and that area.  BP is close but still with a good distance away from it.

Actually the high MR in BP bugs me more than the potential soil contamination some distance away. 

lnc said:
BP is not located directly on top of potential tox site.  The questionable area is located on south west corner of the base and they are not building  any residential over there.  And there will be even more housing develop between BP and that area.  BP is close but still with a good distance away from it.

Actually the high MR in BP bugs me more than the potential soil contamination some distance away.

PS3 is located even further away from the southwest corner yet the land is still toxic.  The soil around the high school was found to be toxic too.

I couldn't get info from sales agents at BP, they don't want to talk about it, so it is hard to make informed decision. From what I read online, it doesn't sit on the most toxic area but it does sit ON the base and there are underground landfills that are not accounted for, since they just dug holes & dump? It is very confusing and feel that I am unable to make informed decision.

No offense to any sales agents because there are a ton of good ones.  That being said, given the turnover at sales offices, selling multiple communities etc, local buyers tend to know more than the sales agents. 

Here's a image from 2014 OC Register article. PP and BP have been off the list for some time. There are bunch of southern area that are still on the list while a large portion has just completed cleanup and came off of the list.

That said, there are many skeptics on TI and there's no convincing them no matter what EPA says.

Link to article:http://www.ocregister.com/articles/superfund-599096-site-list.html

n03ayv-superfundsiteseltoro.gif

So that red spot in the middle of all the dark blue right at PSIII, is that the elementary school or PSIII itself...

It looks to be part of Great Park district 7, not Portola Spring, according to this map. I don't recall seeing any mention of pollution cleanup needed for any part of Portola Spring.

orange-county-great-park-neighborhoods-sustainable-features-and-design-elements-4-638.jpg

I guess everything in life is a calculated risk.  Drinking Diet Coke, Swimming in the ocean, Air Travel, Tanning, putting a cell phone against your head, living in BP.

Somethings gonna get you sooner or later, might as well enjoy a larger lot on your way out.

Here are the original 25 sites on El Toro Marine Base identified to have chemical contamination of soil and water. According to EPA, prior to cleanup, chemicals included arsenic, benzene,  dioxin, TCE, chloroform, vinyl chloride, and other carcinogens, mutagens, neurotoxins, and developmental toxins.

clip_image005.jpg

aquabliss said:
I guess everything in life is a calculated risk.  Drinking Diet Coke, Swimming in the ocean, Air Travel, Tanning, putting a cell phone against your head, living in BP.

Somethings gonna get you sooner or later, might as well enjoy a larger lot on your way out.

Couldn't agree with you more. Stop worrying and just living. Anything can be a disaster.

IrvineRes88 said:
Homes in BP seem to be less expensive compare to other new developments in Irvine.
If you think BP homes are less expensive you probably have not taken MR and the potential 2% yearly increase into account.

IrvineRes88 said:
After reading about the toxicity & the questionable cleaning up efforts of the developer & the high school, is it worth the risk? So lower price for taking a chance on our health, putting our kids in a questionable health environment?  It is hard for me to decide.

You have to decide for yourself whether you trust the EPA has cleaned up the neighboring toxic sites and won't have any unforeseen problems. Personally, I think there's little to worry about. There was no contamination directly on the soil in the area. That said, if you're going to lay awake at night worried about the health of your family and second guessing your decision then I'd say it's not worth it.

What's worrisome is the builder making you sign a contract saying you won't sue them 10 years down the line because your kid got some weird cancerous growth from eating backyard tomatoes.

Read your contracts before buying, or let TI read them for you.

If the cleanup was done so well, why does the contract need to stipulate "DO NOT EAT FRUIT from backyard, etc."? 

zubs said:
If the cleanup was done so well, why does the contract need to stipulate "DO NOT EAT FRUIT from backyard, etc."?

Standard legal CYA operating procedure these days.

zubs said:
There are many ways to remediate toxic substances besides removal of the substances.  One of the most common ways is "protect in place" which in the case of land, means burying the toxic substances under clean dirt.  Protect in place doesn't mean the cleanup was not "done well."  There are situations where the process of removal could release toxins into the environment and cause a bigger mess.  It could be that the "don't eat fruit" warning relates to fear that the roots of the trees may tap down to something potentially harmful.

Back