Bon Voyage Irvine, Hello Fullerton: Story of Finding our Dream Home

[quote author="awgee" date=1257661995][quote author="bkshopr" date=1257661613]What school district is it? Troy? Sunnyhill? South of 91 is the Oxford school district boundary #1 in the USA and OC (US News and Worlds Report). Check if Oxford would allow enrollment from the fringes.</blockquote>

I thought Oxford was by acceptance only.</blockquote>

Only smart students within district boundary is qualified. The student body is much more diverse and humble. Demographic is from the working class of OC. Poor but smart kids can also attend. As long the kids pass the entrance examination there is no economic discrimination.

A lot more down to earth than the parents and students from #3 University High with noses planted above their forehead.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1257666066][quote author="awgee" date=1257661995][quote author="bkshopr" date=1257661613]What school district is it? Troy? Sunnyhill? South of 91 is the Oxford school district boundary #1 in the USA and OC (US News and Worlds Report). Check if Oxford would allow enrollment from the fringes.</blockquote>

Only smart students within district boundary is qualified. The student body is much more diverse and humble. Demographic is from the working class of OC. Poor but smart kids can also attend. As long the kids pass the entrance examination there is no economic discrimination.

A lot more down to earth than the parents and students from #3 University High with noses planted above their forehead.</blockquote>
Sorry. By acceptance, I meant by academic standards only and never even considered economic discrimination. As far as I know, no public school may discriminate economically, so that would not be an issue in any public school including Oxford, University High, CDM, Century, Pacifica, Troy, OCHSA, Los Al, etc. What I meant to question was whether or not any child living within the Oxford may attend Oxford. I do not think that is the case, but rather as you implied, the child must pass an entrance exam, qualify academically, and pass an interview process. It is my understanding that living in Fullerton or close to Oxford will not help a child be accepted to Oxford.

[quote author="awgee" date=1257670813][quote author="bkshopr" date=1257666066][quote author="awgee" date=1257661995][quote author="bkshopr" date=1257661613]What school district is it? Troy? Sunnyhill? South of 91 is the Oxford school district boundary #1 in the USA and OC (US News and Worlds Report). Check if Oxford would allow enrollment from the fringes.</blockquote>

A lot more down to earth than the parents and students from #3 University High with noses planted above their forehead.</blockquote>
Sorry. By acceptance, I meant by academic standards only and never even considered economic discrimination. As far as I know, no public school may discriminate economically, so that would not be an issue in any public school including Oxford, University High, CDM, Century, Pacifica, Troy, OCHSA, Los Al, etc. What I meant to question was whether or not any child living within the Oxford may attend Oxford. I do not think that is the case, but rather as you implied, the child must pass an entrance exam, qualify academically, and pass an interview process. It is my understanding that living in Fullerton or close to Oxford will not help a child be accepted to Oxford.</blockquote>

You may be right but won't hurt to ask. Since Fullerton borderline 91.

You are right public schools can't discriminate economically but residents of the community will by home prices, rent and opposition against affordable housing.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1257661613]What school district is it? Troy? Sunnyhill? South of 91 is the Oxford school district boundary #1 in the USA and OC (US News and Worlds Report). Check if Oxford would allow enrollment from the fringes.</blockquote>

Fullerton has an open enrollment policy for all schools K-12. If there is no availbility in your school of choice you either go to your home school or another choice. However living in a particular neighborhood will not guarantee you a spot in your home school. The district told me they are turning away neighborhood kids at Fisler.

Fullerton's three High School's differentiate themselves through specialized programs. Troy is known for Tech an Science. Sunny Hills is leadership and business oriented, and Fullerton High has the Arts and Humanities with their Speech and Debate team being their most celebrated program. I'm not sure where my kids will end up. I do want my son to strive for Troy. Not because I'm some competitive parent, just he has wanted to be a scientist since he was 6 years old and has never wavered from that. I can not see my daughter going to Troy. Her favorite subjects are reading and writing. I'm also afraid she has the politician gene in my family and will turn out to be one. Fullerton or Sunny Hills would probably be a better choice for her. In middle school the kids will start touring and learning about the different High School programs and hopefully will find a sense of purpose in what ever they choose.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1257661613]What school district is it? Troy? Sunnyhill? South of 91 is the Oxford school district boundary #1 in the USA and OC (US News and Worlds Report). Check if Oxford would allow enrollment from the fringes.</blockquote>

It turns out Oxford is located in Cypress and is part of the Anaheim Unified School District. The following is from Oxford's website:

<em>Recognized as a California Distinguished School and as one of the top ten high schools in the U.S. by Newsweek and US News and World Report, Oxford Academy draws students from the entire attendance area of the Anaheim Union High School District.</em>

<em>Student Selection

Student selection is limited to students entering seventh, eighth, or ninth grade and involves a competitive application process. After an evaluation of

the student?s past academic records and standardized test scores, eligible students take OA?s entrance examination. Each year, over 700 students test for

200 openings in 7th grade. Based on students? performances on the entrance examination, OA offers admission to the top 25 students who apply from each

of the district?s eight public junior high attendance areas.</em>

<em>The campus is ethnically and socio-economically diverse

with a student body consisting of 59% Asian, 15% white, 14% Latino, 11% Filipino/Pacific Islander, and 1% black students.</em>

US News and World Report based their ranking on the various test scores and highest AP exam scores in various subjects: Calculus, Physics, Chemistry, History and etc. Oxford scored the 2nd highest in the nation.

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2008/12/04/best-high-schools-gold-medal-list.html">Top 100 schools in the nation</a>

<a href="http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/high-schools/2008/12/04/americas-best-high-schools-methodology.html">Ranking method</a>

The students from these schools are best prepared for college based on the various college level proficiency tests administered in High School. This test is different from the API scores that we have heard of in grading California schools. API is a test for average competency. My daughter took the test and she thought the test was a joke. API is not a test to measure college readiness but a gauge for targeting average competency goal for the schools.

100% of Oxford students advanced to college.

[quote author="awgee" date=1257896816]

with a student body consisting of 59% Asian, 15% white, 14% Latino, 11% Filipino/Pacific Islander, and 1% black students.</em></blockquote>
Is this really ethnically diverse? And I thought Irvine had lots of Asians.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1257927396][quote author="awgee" date=1257896816]

with a student body consisting of 59% Asian, 15% white, 14% Latino, 11% Filipino/Pacific Islander, and 1% black students.</em></blockquote>
Is this really ethnically diverse? And I thought Irvine had lots of Asians.</blockquote>

59% of Asians are spread among Thai, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Koreans, Japanese, Middle Easterners and Indians. Anaheim Asian population is very much diverse due to lower cost of housing. The poor Asians typically are the SE Asians and frugal Indians migrated to Anaheim from Cerritos and North Long Beach.

Irvine has primarily Chinese dominating all other Asian ethnicity.

In term of housing value and best school Anaheim is the best deal money can buy. The only catch is your kids have to be smart to get in Oxford and this is actually a good motivation for children. I know families who sent their kids to Oxford. If you have kids with just average school performance then better earn more money to buy a home in Irvine. Other Anaheim schools are just bad.

Cost of living for Asians are much lower in Anaheim. 99 Ranch prices in near by Cerritos and Anaheim are 75% of Irvine. So are the Asian restaurant prices too.

Okay, I think I?ve come off my high from the house and anxiety about moving is starting to settle in. I came home today to one packed box. Mc Husband did it while I was at work. Immediately, I snapped ?What are you doing?? ?I don?t want the house filled with boxes? I know it would probably be good for me to have everything boxed up, less homey. It would be easier to let go if the whole house was a mess of boxes, right? I don?t know where this sudden attachment, to this apartment I cursed so many times, is coming from. The downstairs neighbor and school nearby were even extra obnoxious today. But this crusade place has been our home for over 3 years. I don?t know how I turned into this sentimentally puddle of mush. I blame Mc Husband. I was unattached, carefree, an ice cube until I met him. Now look at me blabbing about my new found love for my apartment. Sigh?..

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1257931909][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1257927396][quote author="awgee" date=1257896816]

Is this really ethnically diverse? And I thought Irvine had lots of Asians.</blockquote>

59% of Asians are spread among Thai, Cambodians, Vietnamese, Cantonese, Taiwanese, Koreans, Japanese, Middle Easterners and Indians. Anaheim Asian population is very much diverse due to lower cost of housing. The poor Asians typically are the SE Asians and frugal Indians migrated to Anaheim from Cerritos and North Long Beach.

Irvine has primarily Chinese dominating all other Asian ethnicity.

In term of housing value and best school Anaheim is the best deal money can buy. The only catch is your kids have to be smart to get in Oxford and this is actually a good motivation for children. I know families who sent their kids to Oxford. If you have kids with just average school performance then better earn more money to buy a home in Irvine. Other Anaheim schools are just bad.

Cost of living for Asians are much lower in Anaheim. 99 Ranch prices in near by Cerritos and Anaheim are 75% of Irvine. So are the Asian restaurant prices too.</blockquote>
I can not help but wonder if the 15% white were spread among German, English, Irish, Hungarian, French, Italian, Norwegian, Austrian, Canadian, Swedish, Yugoslavian, Dutch, Belgian, Swiss, Basque, and are the Latinos spread out among Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Mexican, Spanish, Nigaraguan, Belizian,Paraguayan, Brazilian, Argentinian, Chilean, Venezuelan, and are the blacks spread out among Algerian, Guinean, Liberian, Nigerian, South African, Haitian, Baptist, AME, etc.?

[quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1258038317]Okay, I think I?ve come off my high from the house and anxiety about moving is starting to settle in. I came home today to one packed box. Mc Husband did it while I was at work. Immediately, I snapped ?What are you doing?? ?I don?t want the house filled with boxes? I know it would probably be good for me to have everything boxed up, less homey. It would be easier to let go if the whole house was a mess of boxes, right? I don?t know where this sudden attachment, to this apartment I cursed so many times, is coming from. The downstairs neighbor and school nearby were even extra obnoxious today. But this crusade place has been our home for over 3 years. I don?t know how I turned into this sentimentally puddle of mush. I blame Mc Husband. I was unattached, carefree, an ice cube until I met him. Now look at me blabbing about my new found love for my apartment. Sigh?..</blockquote>

Might I suggest that it is likely misplaced stress / anxiety about the move, going to a new neighborhood, getting resettled, etc? Even when you move your own cheese, it can be unsettling, especially if you like predictability and routines.

FYI: <a href="http://www.flylady.net/pages/Flying_MovingTips.asp">Fly Lady's Moving Tips.</a>

Focus your mind on the nicer things like your future home. Think about the California Room at the front. Your futuristic vintage home was more than 80 years ahead of its time. Think about all the nice things you will be adding to it.

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1258071381][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1258038317]Okay, I think I?ve come off my high from the house and anxiety about moving is starting to settle in. I came home today to one packed box. Mc Husband did it while I was at work. Immediately, I snapped ?What are you doing?? ?I don?t want the house filled with boxes? I know it would probably be good for me to have everything boxed up, less homey. It would be easier to let go if the whole house was a mess of boxes, right? I don?t know where this sudden attachment, to this apartment I cursed so many times, is coming from. The downstairs neighbor and school nearby were even extra obnoxious today. But this crusade place has been our home for over 3 years. I don?t know how I turned into this sentimentally puddle of mush. I blame Mc Husband. I was unattached, carefree, an ice cube until I met him. Now look at me blabbing about my new found love for my apartment. Sigh?..</blockquote>

Might I suggest that it is likely misplaced stress / anxiety about the move, going to a new neighborhood, getting resettled, etc? Even when you move your own cheese, it can be unsettling, especially if you like predictability and routines.

FYI: <a href="http://www.flylady.net/pages/Flying_MovingTips.asp">Fly Lady's Moving Tips.</a></blockquote>

Another FlyLady fan!! :lol:

[quote author="Cameray" date=1258080387][quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1258071381][quote author="Mcdonna1980" date=1258038317]Okay, I think I?ve come off my high from the house and anxiety about moving is starting to settle in. I came home today to one packed box. Mc Husband did it while I was at work. Immediately, I snapped ?What are you doing?? ?I don?t want the house filled with boxes? I know it would probably be good for me to have everything boxed up, less homey. It would be easier to let go if the whole house was a mess of boxes, right? I don?t know where this sudden attachment, to this apartment I cursed so many times, is coming from. The downstairs neighbor and school nearby were even extra obnoxious today. But this crusade place has been our home for over 3 years. I don?t know how I turned into this sentimentally puddle of mush. I blame Mc Husband. I was unattached, carefree, an ice cube until I met him. Now look at me blabbing about my new found love for my apartment. Sigh?..</blockquote>

FYI: <a href="http://www.flylady.net/pages/Flying_MovingTips.asp">Fly Lady's Moving Tips.</a></blockquote>

Another FlyLady fan!! :lol:</blockquote>

It all starts with the kitchen sink... :)

[quote author="EvaLSeraphim" date=1258071381][quote author="Mc" date=1258038317]Okay, I think I?ve come off my high from the house and anxiety about moving is starting to settle in. I came home today to one packed box. Mc Husband did it while I was at work. Immediately, I snapped ?What are you doing?? ?I don?t want the house filled with boxes? I know it would probably be good for me to have everything boxed up, less homey. It would be easier to let go if the whole house was a mess of boxes, right? I don?t know where this sudden attachment, to this apartment I cursed so many times, is coming from. The downstairs neighbor and school nearby were even extra obnoxious today. But this crusade place has been our home for over 3 years. I don?t know how I turned into this sentimentally puddle of mush. I blame Mc Husband. I was unattached, carefree, an ice cube until I met him. Now look at me blabbing about my new found love for my apartment. Sigh?..</blockquote>

I just want to leave for Costa Rica and let the magic elves take care of it. :)

I feel better today. I think getting up at 5:30 am to move my car, so Mc Husband could get out of our dame tandem parking garage, renewed my fire to get the heck out of this apartment.

[quote author="IrvineRealtor" date=1258081426]It all starts with the kitchen sink... :)</blockquote>

Such a good student. :)

Did you try it, and if so, did it help?

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1258079584]Focus your mind on the nicer things like your future home. Think about the California Room at the front. Your <strong>futuristic vintage </strong>home was more than 80 years ahead of its time. Think about all the nice things you will be adding to it.</blockquote>

Funny you should use this term. I've been hearing Futuristic Vintage thrown around in the fashion world lately. I can't figure out exactly what Futuristic Vintage is, though. But it is suppose to be the up coming fashion trend whatever that looks like.

As much as I was excited about our home, I felt sad leaving our old place. I had been there quite a few years and then hubby was there for several as well. It's kind of hard to say goodbye. Do you feel a bit sad when you are heading back home from a vacation?

Moving is really a daunting task. Hubby did a lot of small boxes weeks in advance, which started to give the place a ghostly feel. Once you throw yourself into the big task of the majority of it, that will consume your focus. I felt the most sadness going back to clean and when the landlord insisted that he meet me at the place to give me my deposit back so he could show me all the updates he did. But then you go home to your new home and it starts to oonsume you.

I know for me that each day I am more comfortable and more attached to our home here, yet I still feel a bit of sadness whenever I'm in our old neighborhood. Believe me though, there is much more joy to be found in your new home. It may seem odd the first month or two, but then it really settles in that this is your home because you chose it to be and it feels different.

Did you ever notice the casings around the doors of your rental? You will in your house. Did you notice the light in the hallway? You will in your home. Did you notice that paint drip in the apt? You will in your home.

Are you painting the interior? If so, have you picked out colors yet? The fun is just about to begin... enjoy it and just know that there's always some sadness to saying goodbye, even when it's because you're saying hello to something better.

Back