BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

jayl23

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/bmw-drivers-really-are-jerks--studies-find-214456020.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Drivers of BMWs frequently come in for anecdotal criticism for habits on the road that are perceived as aggressive.

Now, a couple of studies, one in the U.S. and another from the U.K., appear to provide statistical evidence that BMW drivers are, to be polite about it, complete jerks.

In the older study, by researchers at the University of California, BMW drivers were far less likely to stop for a pedestrian who had just entered a crosswalk, the New York Times notes.

?In our crosswalk study, none of the cars in the beater-car category drove through the crosswalk. They always stopped for pedestrians," researcher Paul K. Piff told the paper. He added that not only were "fancy cars were less likely to stop," but also that "BMW drivers were the worst."

Drivers of BMWs and other high-status cars (including Prius hybrids) were also more likely to cheat at four-way-stop intersections, according to the research.

In the second study, in the U.K., motorists were asked to identify the make and color of the car from which they have most frequently suffered road-rage incidents, the Daily Mail reports.

The study of 2,837 motorists found men between the ages of 35 and 50 driving blue BMWs were most likely to be reported as having engaged in road-rage behaviors such as aggressive driving and swearing.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

React and discuss...  :D

Jerks or not, one of these days I will be killed by someone checking their phone while driving. Too many close calls, all while being "safely" on the curb. I should just stick to the high school ground or gym to stay active!

Tyler Durden said:
I find its more the type of car than the brand:

BMW 3 Series
Infiniti G 37
Lexus IS

I left Audi A4 and Mercedes out C-class out, because those seem to have older buyers.

Any of those are guaranteed to try to pull a stunt.  Why?  Because those are typically driven by younger folks who got their first fancy car after graduating college and still haven't realized that the world doesn't revolve around them.  These are folks who have moved up from their Civic SI's, EVOs or WRX's but still drive like jackasses.

I just traded in my G37. The vehicles I drove before it were:

BMW X5
Mercedes S430
Toyota Prius
BMW 328

I don't think moving up from a Civic applied to me. One thing I've learnt is that everyone's definition of being a "jerk" is different. One example of being a jerk for me is driving under the speed limit (40 in a 55) in a normal vehicle on a one lane road (or in the passing lane on a large road). People do it a lot on Modjeska when I'm trying to make the light to turn left on Irvine Blvd.

I have to agree with BMW 3-series and Infinity G-37 drivers.  Younger male hot rods.

And Prius- I see them in 2 camps.  One- the annoying driver trying to get that extra bit of gas mileage while slowing everyone else down.  And the other camp- trying to outrun my Mercedes.  Both camps are annoying

Back