• Keep it on Friday... I'll be too stuffed with tryptophan

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I like to shop early... Black Thursday is awesome

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I don't care... I'm not buying anything

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

So it's finally happening... just like Christmas decorations/music is showing up earlier and earlier (actually before Halloween in some places), Black Friday has now moved to Thursday (although other stores have been doing that for a few years).

I read somewhere that stores get 22% more sales if they open on Thursday versus 8% less sales if they open on Friday.

There have also been protests and petitions by workers for stores to stay closed on Thursday but a spokesperson for Target claims their stores used volunteer sign ups and they received more willing to work than they needed.

Are you shopping on Thursday? Do you shop for yourself or for early Christmas/[insert holiday here] gifts?

I admit it...I actually stood in a line for 2 hours at Walmart that night to get 2 flat screen 24" TV's for $79.00.  I just couldn't pass it up.  I needed them for my boat and the cheapest I saw them all year was $130.00.  It was a moment of weakness.  I told my wife I will not do that again next year.

Was the 2 hour wait worth $100? And wasn't there a wait to check out?

I guess the way I look at it is if the wait is worth my time I'll do it... but if it's a hassle... I'll pay the extra.

Well it was 2 hours wallowing on the couch or 2 hours sitting on a chair in a walmart....I guess it was the thrill of the bargain kill. 

I think what stopped me from going to these sales is the lines... not only is the one to get in a pain... but checking out was equally a hassle. I remember one time the Best Buy line to check out snaked around the entire store and I decided to leave.

It's been a few years since I've got to a Black Thursday/Friday sale so maybe they've improved that experience (although Mrs. IHO went to the Target one at 9pm this year and she said the line in and line out were not fun).

I'll tell ya what totally boned my bargain high.  When i finally paid my $79.00 for my new TV I noticed an additional $8.00 "recycling fee"  tacked on top to the 9% sales tax.  That added over 19% to my purchase price.  I haven't noticed this fee in the past but I was livid.  Just another reason to tax...i mean fee Californians into leaving. Brought me back to earth fast

http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/Electronics/Act2003/Retailer/Fee/

On July 12, 2010, CalRecycle conducted a public meeting that described the condition of the Electronic Waste Recovery and Recycling Account (EWRRA), the rate of payments to Recyclers, and projections of program growth and set the fee rates as shown below.

Revised Electronic Waste Recycling Fee Amount

Viewable Screen Size (measured diagonally)

Electronic Waste Recycling Fee
(effective January 1, 2011)

Greater than 4 inches and less than 15 inches  $6

Equal to or greater than 15 inches and less than 35 inches  $8

35 inches and larger  $10

As CalRecycle works, in consultation with BOE, the Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), and others, to implement this important legislation, more information will be available through this website. Note that any guidance provided by the CalRecycle should not substitute for careful reading of the original statute or subsequent regulations

Back