Black Friday Deals

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259372143]Target was much better... just like last year.

The employees said it was a madhouse at 5am but when I was there at about 8:15am, it seemed okay. I was able to get my two items I was planning to get at TRU (and actually saved money because there was a gift card promotion attached to them) and then because I spent over $100, they gave me another $10 gift card.

There still quite a few "doorbusters" left (even the 40" TV) but the really hot items were gone... which was okay since I had no interest in those.

The good thing about Target is that there is not a long wait to check out... unlike Best Buy where sometimes the line is huge even midway into the day.</blockquote>

Avoid places with dense population such as Irvine. Lines are guaranteed to be long. I went to the Sears at the Village of Orange at 4am and got my cheap spare BR flat Sony screen. No line and no waiting. I was out in 15 minutes.

Went to the Target on Grand and 17th the smallest Target in the area. No waiting there either at 5 am. Picked up the 2 Doorbusters Nikons and 2 razor scooters and out in 10 minutes by paying at the jewelry counter. The Best buy with the least traffic are the one on Tustin Ave and the one by the Block. I did not go there but did pass by to check out the lack of commotion. WalMart with extensive media coverage is a place to avoid. Foothill Ranch would be the best bet with least crowd being at an isolated location.

I hate waiting in line and over the years I studied their lack of appeal locations but they are ideal BF preys.

We plan on Cabazon later about early evening. Must avoid Asians there during the daytime. Asians need to leave before dark due to bad driving skill and that is when I arrive and storm through the shops quickly.

BF shopping required planning and you must bring the ads stapled to avoid them falling apart. Shoppers who do not have the ads rely on the sales tags and signs. They are often confusing and mixed in with slightly marked down items. Retailers would stock the aisles with non door buster items to confuse the consumers as well. All this navigation lose time

Did anyone get a major score?

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, so I skipped the 4am deals. I did go to Costco in Laguna Niguel and bought the last Xbox Beatles Rockband Limited Edition for $224. It retails for $249 and Costco was selling it last week for $239. So I'm a happy camper.

Forget the stores. Hit the web. I got some good deals on various sites with free shipping plus discounts on my whole order and marked down items. I'm a happy camper. In recent years, I've done about 90% of my Christmas shopping online. Nothing beats having it come to your door instead of the other way around!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1259478896]Forget the stores. Hit the web. I got some good deals on various sites with free shipping plus discounts on my whole order and marked down items. I'm a happy camper. In recent years, I've done about 90% of my Christmas shopping online. Nothing beats having it come to your door instead of the other way around!</blockquote>
I ordered the TV and blu-ray player from Amazon that Nude ordered. Usually I exhaustively research for months and wait for a deal, but I figured if it was good enough for Nude, it was good. Thanks Nude.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1259478896]Forget the stores. Hit the web. I got some good deals on various sites with free shipping plus discounts on my whole order and marked down items. I'm a happy camper. In recent years, I've done about 90% of my Christmas shopping online. Nothing beats having it come to your door instead of the other way around!</blockquote>

Which sites?

[quote author="awgee" date=1259487602]I ordered the TV and blu-ray player from Amazon that Nude ordered. Usually I exhaustively research for months and wait for a deal, but I figured if it was good enough for Nude, it was good. Thanks Nude.</blockquote>

Here's <a href="http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p42g15/4505-6482_7-33556480.html?tag=mncol;lst">the CNEt take</a> on it... and <a href="http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19410_102-0.html?threadID=337556&tag=mncol;txt">the calibration settings</a> they used. Depending on the room and the source, you may want to tweak them a bit, but I tend to start with their cheat sheet and adjust from there. If I find any other tricks, I'll pass it on.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259625709]So did no one else try to brave the lines at 12am or 5am? Or they don't want to admit it?

Anyone want to share a doorbuster they got?</blockquote>

I fought through the crowd of extended family to secure a spot in front of the computer at my mother-in-law's house at 9pm on Thanksgiving night. Since pretty much all the Black Friday sales started online Thursday evening decided it wasn't worth setting down the beer to go stand in line. We bought a 12 cubic foot Kenmore freezer from Sears.com for $319. Regular price $479. The stand up kind with a real door, not a chest freezer --- will go perfect in the garage.

Now that we have that freezer, Costco will never get the best of us.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259625709]So did no one else try to brave the lines at 12am or 5am? Or they don't want to admit it?

Oddly enough, With all the "leaks" of BF ads on the internet, I was able to compare deals online and make my purchases long before BF actually hit. If this trend continues, the box stores are going to have to require non-disclosure agreements with the people printing their advertising; I was easily able to match or beat the BF sales a few days before Thanksgiving.

I got a great B.F. tip from a friend. She goes to Fashion Island for BF and there are no lines at all. The idea, being, that the rich folk in that vicinity have no incentive to arrive at the break of dawn to fight for a discounted item. She hit a few stores and got great parking and deals. I might try this next year, if I'm so inclined.

[quote author="CK" date=1259635157][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1259625709]So did no one else try to brave the lines at 12am or 5am? Or they don't want to admit it?

I fought through the crowd of extended family to secure a spot in front of the computer at my mother-in-law's house at 9pm on Thanksgiving night. Since pretty much all the Black Friday sales started online Thursday evening decided it wasn't worth setting down the beer to go stand in line. We bought a 12 cubic foot Kenmore freezer from Sears.com for $319. Regular price $479. The stand up kind with a real door, not a chest freezer --- will go perfect in the garage.

Now that we have that freezer, Costco will never get the best of us.</blockquote>

Yes, but the electricity bill will get the best of you. Sorry to be negative, but we unplugged our garage freezer a few years ago, saved about $40 a month. It just wasn't worth it. Hopefully yours is a bit more energy efficient.

[quote author="CK" date=1259635157]We bought a 12 cubic foot Kenmore freezer from Sears.com for $319. Regular price $479. The stand up kind with a real door, not a chest freezer --- will go perfect in the garage.

</blockquote>
Are you sure it's just your kid that is part Asian? Standup Freezer/Ref in the garage is totally cultural.

For us who don't want to get out of the bed on a cold Friday morning there is the power of internet.

Most of my shopping was limited to Amazon, Dell and Costco. Would love to go to the mall one of these days and feel the spirit of shopping season.

Wow. This thread explains everything...

I couldn't figure out why I had to wait for 5 hours on Friday morning for Wal-Mart to refill my prescriptions. I thought maybe they were just having a run on my Rogaine and Mother's Cookies.

:)

-IrvineRealtor

[quote author="Cubic Zirconia" date=1259640573]Would love to go to the mall one of these days and feel the spirit of shopping season.</blockquote>

Or, just slam your hand in the car door real hard a couple of times or throw yourself down a flight of stairs and save the trouble of driving to the mall!

Our home buying couldn't have been time better conciding with Black Friday and all. McHusband graciously awoke at 3:30 am for our $998 Washer and Dryer pair at Sears and we got a snazzy Electrolux fridge at the Sears outlet for half off. Hat Tip to Tmare for recommending the Outlet in some post way back.

Back