Biking to work, why don't you? List your excuses here...

"They do make a Vespa 250 I think? I like the look of the new Vintage ones...but in any case, new ones are spendy, the $6k pricetag will buy a lot of Gas...But as Henry Ford once said ?If you need a machine and don?t buy it you will pay for it and don?t have it? or something like that?

Another alternative is the Electric Bike from a Company in Laguna beach, one model does 45 mph...that?s scary fast on a Bicycle?

Imagine the looks on Motorists? Faces as you zoom past whilst pretending to Pedal? "

$6K was the stumbling block for the 200cc Vespa. I am still looking around and may rent one for a week and try it out.

[quote author="vicstah" date=1213279793]Nice avatar, Newport Trojan... "You are not a unique snow flake" - Tyler Durden</blockquote>

In my previous job, I did business process improvement for a Fortune 50 company. I did a ton of standardization projects where everyone understood the process, but for some reason they were different and needed to do it their own way. I would simply state " You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake"

"You?re not your job. You?re not how much money you have in the bank. You?re not the car you drive. You?re not the contents of your wallet. You?re not your F'ing khakis. You?re the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

Love the movie and it is kind of funny looking at the parallels between project mayhem and today's financial crisis. I think people would be a lot happier if the actually followed some of the tenants of these quotes.

[quote author="Newport Trojan" date=1213310826]"They do make a Vespa 250 I think? I like the look of the new Vintage ones...but in any case, new ones are spendy, the $6k pricetag will buy a lot of Gas...But as Henry Ford once said ?If you need a machine and don?t buy it you will pay for it and don?t have it? or something like that?

Another alternative is the Electric Bike from a Company in Laguna beach, one model does 45 mph...that?s scary fast on a Bicycle?

Imagine the looks on Motorists? Faces as you zoom past whilst pretending to Pedal? "

$6K was the stumbling block for the 200cc Vespa. I am still looking around and may rent one for a week and try it out.</blockquote>

You guys already broke the first rule, remember don?t talk about it. (smiley)

Beware!

Vespa?s are very hard to maneuver and the turning radius is awful.

I crashed numerous times in Italy riding one and even threw a passenger while attempting to turn.

Save the comments about the problem being the rider (me), I have a Ducati street bike.

[quote author="Newport Trojan" date=1213310826]"They do make a Vespa 250 I think? I like the look of the new Vintage ones...but in any case, new ones are spendy, the $6k pricetag will buy a lot of Gas...But as Henry Ford once said ?If you need a machine and don?t buy it you will pay for it and don?t have it? or something like that?

$6K was the stumbling block for the 200cc Vespa. I am still looking around and may rent one for a week and try it out.</blockquote>

Can you rent them? I know you can in Maui, I wouldn't mind trying one myself....

Most would say $6K would buy a lot of Gas, but I look at it in terms for saving resources as well, actually, $6K isn't bad, I have way more than that in my Bicycle and It doesn't even have an Engine :red:

I'm off to Google SoCal Scooter rentals now ;-)

<a href="http://www.motorxtremes.com/scooters/index.html?gclid=CIqE-vCx75MCFSEbagodF2SGWQ">Cheap Scooters</a>

[quote author="tenmagnet" date=1213313559]

Beware!

I crashed numerous times in Italy riding one and even threw a passenger while attempting to turn.

Save the comments about the problem being the rider (me), I have a Ducati street bike.</blockquote>

Don't forget the 2nd rule...

Never been on a Vespa, just the knock-offs by Honda and Yamaha. I have laid a few scooters down in my time in Europe. I think it is the combination of poor turning radius and those slick cobblestone streets. I admire the Italian families that can cram mom, dad and 2 kids on those things and not crash...all the while texting and arguing their way down the street.

As previously stated I should be no where near a bike, but if I did, Ducati is it.

[quote author="Newport Trojan" date=1213326071][quote author="tenmagnet" date=1213313559]

Beware!

Save the comments about the problem being the rider (me), I have a Ducati street bike.</blockquote>

Don't forget the 2nd rule...

Never been on a Vespa, just the knock-offs by Honda and Yamaha. I have laid a few scooters down in my time in Europe. I think it is the combination of poor turning radius and those slick cobblestone streets. I admire the Italian families that can cram mom, dad and 2 kids on those things and not crash...all the while texting and arguing their way down the street.

As previously stated I should be no where near a bike, but if I did, Ducati is it.</blockquote>

So true!

I remember returning the Vespa and the guy letting me have it in Italian.

It was beat from the multiple lay downs.

You think that?s bad; I dated a couple of Italian woman talk about fiery temper and hair trigger.

Good to see a fellow SC alum on the board.

I bike to work about twice a week. My trip takes 9-10 miles each way depending on which route I take - Old Town Orange to South Coast. The cool thing is that there is a hidden bike path that runs through Santa Ana and it's actually quite pleasant to ride. My problem is that I work long hours and although I generally get to work at 9am, I often don't leave until after 9pm and occasionally much later than that.

Lucky for me, there is a fancy gym at the bottom of my building and I can take a shower before I go up to the office (plus the steam room before work is awesome).

I love riding home after work, it's a great way to unwind.

www.bikecommuters.com

It starts near First and Main. <a href="http://www.octa.net/uploadedfiles/bike4.pdf">See here.</a>

If you look on the sattalite view from google, you can see a good 2 miles of it is a paved bike path through a narrow park area. If you intend to ride it around 5/6 pm, bring a bell or a horn because the locals love to stroll along the path.

When we first moved here, we only had one car, so I biked to work every day. I was in great shape, but decided a second car was necessary for those occasional rainy days. My bike commuting has dropped significantly, but lately I've been biking to work about 3 times a week.

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1213230168]there are lots of reasons ( and excuses) why more People don't ride a Bike to work so let's hear 'em!</blockquote>
* I'm the carpool driver! ;)

[quote author="three sheets" date=1213351125]It starts near First and Main. <a href="http://www.octa.net/uploadedfiles/bike4.pdf">See here.</a>

If you look on the sattalite view from google, you can see a good 2 miles of it is a paved bike path through a narrow park area. If you intend to ride it around 5/6 pm, bring a bell or a horn because the locals love to stroll along the path.</blockquote>

cool, thanks. I think I've seen this trail. It looks like an abandoned trolly line?

have you ever ridden it over to the SA river trail?

The trail does run along a train track at parts (which I've never seen a train on).

I occasionally ride the river on the weekends up to yorba linda. If I were to take it work it would add at least three miles to my trip so I don't use it often.

Hey the mustang's might get lonely... They need love too!

Besides all that biking interferes with the ballroom dancing (the leg/calf/thighsp? muscles get the wrong type of excerise).

good luck

-bix

Email from my proactive Credit Union:

<blockquote><strong>Grab A Scooter, Get a $25 Gas Card</strong>

At over 4 dollars per gallon and still climbing, consumers are beginning to look for a money saving alternative when it comes to transportation. We wanted to do our part by offering scooter loans at a great rate. Averaging between 75-120 miles per gallon, scooters are a fun and ideal way to save some gas money. Get a scooter loan by July 15, 2008 and receive a $25 gas card.

<a href="https://addisonavenue.com/promo/scooter/index.htm">Learn more</a></blockquote>

Actually a scooter is not a bad idea, the question that I have is, what is the resale value?

Also, I don't have a high school or college student in my extendend family that I can sell it to (at cost) if oil prices go down and I decide to return to my car.

The ad says that insurance is like ~$100 for ONE year!?, with the savings in gas and in auto insurance it pays itself!, not a bad trade.

Back