Biking to work, why don't you? List your excuses here...

Yes, I'm very aware of the posibility of an accident and that could be because I made a stupid thing, but on the other side, I've been driving in other countries, and I can easily tell you that driving in California to me is mechanic and b o r i n g, because almost everybody respects the law, the problem is driving in a place where there's no law enforcement and people do whatever they want.

It's too close to ride. My commute is 1 mile each way. My wife has it tougher. 7 mile round trip. This gas thing doesn't bother us that much.

[quote author="PeterUK" date=1213230168]OK, we all know that Gas is going to hit $5 before too long, the ultimate way to commute these Days is by the good old Bicycle, of course, there are lots of reasons ( and excuses) why more People don't ride a Bike to work so let's hear 'em!

:)</blockquote>

Because the bicycle will break when Panda gets on top of it.

I would have a hard time navigating the bike down stairs, and if I hit the brakes too hard... I might project myself right out the window on the way down. I would probably be too anxious to get my coffee. Those who know me well, know I function best with coffee first. Then, the turn to the bottom floor takes some serious navigation skills, which I don't think I have, but could result into some serious drywall damage. If I thought there was some benefit to ride my bike to my laptop, then I would find it. But, until then I will rely on Ed and Fred to avoid serious injury.

And... if I showed up on a bike all sweaty for an appointment outside the home office, then I would have to rely on being a professional blogger, because no one would take me seriously, as if they do now. Until that pays six figures, I unfortunately have to stick with the bimmer. Fill that tip jar you bike advocates, and IR, zovall, ISM, and I can focus on blogging and biking. Until then, we will suck up gas in our cars.

acpmette and i finally had enough with our borrowed mtn bikes and decided to get our own road bikes. we shopped around and ultimately purchased at performance bikes in laguna hills (recommended by vicstah in another thread.)

now the question is what other gear do we need? i've heard the tires on road bikes deflate very easily and tubes need replacing much more often than commuter or mtn bikes. so obviously a pump and extra tubes? we have helmets, gloves, and shorts. anything else i'm missing?

[quote author="acpme" date=1214227807]acpmette and i finally had enough with our borrowed mtn bikes and decided to get our own road bikes. we shopped around and ultimately purchased at performance bikes in laguna hills (recommended by vicstah in another thread.)

now the question is what other gear do we need? i've heard the tires on road bikes deflate very easily and tubes need replacing much more often than commuter or mtn bikes. so obviously a pump and extra tubes? we have helmets, gloves, and shorts. anything else i'm missing?</blockquote>

Sounds like all you need are some bike shoes.

I rock carbon fiber Sidis, they?re the best imo.

[quote author="skek" date=1214540208]I can't think of any reason not to bike to work...

<a href="http://videos.newsobserver.com/?a=player&id=1958726">Biking to Work Video</a>

(just kidding, PeterUK!)</blockquote>

Great find skek, really funny ! :lol:

Interesting <a href="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/30/AR2008083000632.html?hpid=topnews">article</a> on why biking to work and for errands is less popular in the US than in other countries. Also be sure to watch the video regarding the new bike locker in Japan. Very cool stuff.

I have to drive to work half an hours - this would be too far to me for riding my bike!

However, I have to admit that I probably also wouldn't ride my bike if my working place would be close by as I always have lots of stuff to get to work. Plus I would for sure be all sweaty after a 10 minute bike ride and I really wouldn't want to do this to my colleagues!

<strong>20 Bucks a Month for riding your Bike to work....</strong>

?We are delighted that the bicycle commuter benefits act has passed after a lengthy and persistent campaign spearheaded by Congressman Blumenauer (D-OR),? said League of American Bicyclists President Andy Clarke. ?Bicycle commuters will now be extended similar benefits to people who take transit and drive to work ? it?s an equitable and sensible incentive to encourage greater energy independence, improve air quality and health, and even help tackle climate change. Thanks to everyone who has helped reach this milestone, especially Walter Finch and Mele Williams, our government relations staff over the years who have worked tirelessly with Congressman Blumenauer, Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR) and many others in Congress.?

The benefit -- up to $20 per month -- begins with the new year in 2009. Employers may reimburse employees, tax free, for "reasonable" expenses related to their bike commute, including equipment purchases, bike purchases, repairs, and storage if the bicycle is used as a "substantial part" of the commuter's trip to work for the month. If you already receive another commuter tax-free fringe benefit (like a Commuter Check or EcoPass), you don't qualify, so multimodal commuters are out of luck.

SEC. 211. TRANSPORTATION FRINGE BENEFIT TO BICYCLE COMMUTERS.

(a) In General- Paragraph (1) of section 132(f) is amended by adding at the end the following: ?(D) Any qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement.?.

(b) Limitation on Exclusion- Paragraph (2) of section 132(f) is amended by striking ?and? at the end of subparagraph (A), by striking the period at the end of subparagraph (B) and inserting ?, and?, and by adding at the end the following new subparagraph: ?(C) the applicable annual limitation in the case of any qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement.?.

(c) Definitions- Paragraph (5) of section 132(f) is amended by adding at the end the following:

?(F) DEFINITIONS RELATED TO BICYCLE COMMUTING REIMBURSEMENT-

?(i) QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING REIMBURSEMENT- The term ?qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement? means, with respect to any calendar year, any employer reimbursement during the 15-month period beginning with the first day of such calendar year for reasonable expenses incurred by the employee during such calendar year for the purchase of a bicycle and bicycle improvements, repair, and storage, if such bicycle is regularly used for travel between the employee?s residence and place of employment.

?(ii) APPLICABLE ANNUAL LIMITATION- The term ?applicable annual limitation? means, with respect to any employee for any calendar year, the product of $20 multiplied by the number of qualified bicycle commuting months during such year.

?(iii) QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING MONTH- The term ?qualified bicycle commuting month? means, with respect to any employee, any month during which such employee--

?(I) regularly uses the bicycle for a substantial portion of the travel between the employee?s residence and place of employment, and

?(II) does not receive any benefit described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) of paragraph (1).?.

(d) Constructive Receipt of Benefit- Paragraph (4) of section 132(f) is amended by inserting ?(other than a qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement)? after ?qualified transportation fringe?.

(e) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2008.

Since I work in Paramount right next to compton, biking to work is iffy. A co-worker came up with a great safety idea tho, dress like a bum for the bike commute then change at work. Who would rob a bum? Unless maybe to take his bike...

Uhhh I work in Irvine... IRVINE. I might as well take my chances biking through a parking lot full of underage, drunk, teenage drivers with 3 cellphones.... no thanks, I like to minimize my chances of death. Now the gas guzzling, twitchy over powered race car that drinks 20$ of gas a day... that's ok.... chances = minimized! :lol:

good luck

-bix

Back