Biking in Laguna Coast Wilderness Park

TimHume_IHB

I see in Google Maps that there are trails from the top of Ridge Park Rd in Newport Coast to the 133. Are these trails open to the public for cycling? I live in Newport and am starting a new job in Aliso Viejo. I thought it would be nice if I could bike most days to/from work.

These are dirt trails and I've seen numerous mountain bikes on them whenever I've driven to the end of Ridge Park. Not sure how that would work out for commuting...

This would be one epic commute. You'd start with a major road climb to the top of Ridge Park. Then it's pretty much downhill fireroad all the way to the parking lot at Laguna Coast. A mountain bike is definetly recommended as the last descent to Laguna Coast is very steep and rocky. Then you'd have all road to Aliso with another major climb or you could try to take on the stair steps to Aliso Woods and Canyons, another set of trails on the other side of Laguna Coast. Not something I would want to do, especially before work.

I ride these all the time. there is a fire road (dirt, with significant washed out trenches) that runs all the way from ridge park to the middle of the 133. any fat-tire bike could do it fine, but not a 'road bike' skinny tire thing. open sunrise to sunset, free to enter. only exception is that is is closed for a few days after any rain.

getting there would be mostly all downhill. the return trip will involve ~700 feet of climbing over a mile or two.

They are fire roads and well known to mountain bikers. Try a search for "Bommer canyon ridge" road.

You should have a nice morning commute. It's about a 800 ft drop from Ridge Park Rd to the 133. Not sure how you will do in the evening. Good luck

Thanks for the responses. Any ideas on how long it would take to get from the intersection of Newport Coast Dr and Ridge Park Rd to the intersection of Aliso Viejo Pkwy and Enterprise?

Freedom, is there a gate or something that gets locked at sundown? I'm just worried I could be almost out on the way home when the sun goes down.

the gates aren't locked, but the fine is $300-$500 if you are caught by the rangers in there after dark!

i would recommend a cyclocross-type bike.

maybe 10 min to do the climb from NC to the park, maybe 15min across the park to the 133, maybe 10 minutes to aliso creek road, maybe 10 minutes up and over the hill, then down pacific parkway (i think this is where enterprise is?). the reverse would take longer, as you have more climbing through laguna coast/el moro. maybe 10 min more.

Thanks, Freedom! So, you're thinking about 45-60 minutes each way? That's a long commute compared to a 10 minute drive on the 73. But then I wouldn't have to run to get exercise -- I'd just be combining my commute with my workout. So its either a 2-hour round-trip bike ride or 20-minute round-trip drive with a 1-hour run.

I mapped it out on MapMyRun.com. You can check out the path here:

<<a href="http://www.mapmyrun.com/view_route?r=136748626817">http://www.mapmyrun.com/view_route?r=136748626817</a>>

Using the little panel on the right, you can change the view to also show the elevation changes. It is about 9 miles each way.

I've ridden the trail from Ridge Park to Laguna Coast each way many, many times. I haven't ridden up Ridge Park from Newport Coast but I've driven it enough to know that 10 minutes is very ambitious, more like 15 to 20. Another 15 to 20 to cross the park and another 15 to 20 up the hill to Aliso. This is at a decent pace. I'd count on at least 75 minutes. I'd add 30 going home. The initial climb up Laguna Coast will take at least 30 minutes alone. I'd also recommend something beefier than a cyclocross bike if you plan on riding the last descent to the Laguna Coast parking lot in the morning. No way I'd ride that on anything without a front suspension. Guaranteed endo with out it.

[quote author="The_Maestro" date=1233385309]I've ridden the trail from Ridge Park to Laguna Coast each way many, many times....</blockquote>
Okay, thanks. That sounds like more than I would want to do several times a week. Bummer.

Thank you. This thread inspired me to ride Laguna Coast. It had been too long since I had ridden it. I just got back. Man I love that place. I almost forgot where I was until I looked out to see the Pacific and Catalina. From the Laguna Coast gate to the Ridge Park gate it took 42:30. It took 16:00 minutes coming back down. Normally I would ride some of the single track but I rode only the fireroad from gate to gate just to see how long it would take. I'm on a 30lb. full suspension and climb at a moderate pace at best so you might be able to climb it a little quicker, but 16:00 minutes coming down was fast. Even on my bike the last part of Laguna Canyon is always sketchy.

eh, a friend of mine rides it on her cyclocross, no problem.

iirc, it takes her 2 hours from the HB pier to aliso creek road/el toro junction.

Sure, you can ride a cyclocross. I've actually seen road bikes out there. Would I recommend it on that section of trail? No, only for the most accomplished riders. Even then I would question it when you can get a nice light hardtail mountain bike with a lockable front suspension that would be great on both the road and the trails. Just yesterday I was very thankful for my full suspension and disc brakes. As I was coming down through the last steep and technical section back to Laguna Coast when I was met with 3 bikes coming up the trail in the most rugged section. I had a decent amount of speed and was forced to take a unfamiliar line that had some deep ruts and holes. Had I been on a cyclocross I would have been white knuckling it for sure.

I ride my cyclocross bike in LW/El moro sometimes. For commuting it would suck though. I second the advice of Maestro. Build up a nice steel hardtail, like a Sir9, and slap on some low-rolling resistance tires with 40lbs of pressure. Good for on road and comfortable off road with a backpack full of crap (laptop, extra clothes, etc).

Don't forget to wear a helmet!

Back