Biggest post bubble Irvine haircuts

IndieDev

If you can find some good old price haircuts from the bubble to post bubble, post them in this thread.

I'll start off with a good one to get us started:
S657320_0.jpg
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/27-Reserve-92603/home/5927831

Bought April 27, 2007: $4,508,000
Sold July 8, 2011: $2,900,000

Haircut price: $1,608,000 for 4 years of living in ultra exclusive and Irvine special, unicorn fantasy land, Turtle Ridge!

What the owner could have also bought for $1.6 million...

British Made Javelin MK 20 Fighter Plane:
4154_15060572314.jpg

155 pounds of high grade Colombian Cocaine:
cocaine.jpg

Cantieri Navali Falcon Yacht:
testa_home_eng.gif

SIX 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia supercars:
ferrari_458_03.jpg

$400,000 more dollars if invested into Starbucks Stock in April 2007 and sold in July 2011:
pictures-of-cash-4.jpg

I guess people really do love living in Irvine.  :D

Don't forget about the number of $200 full body hydration massages in Woodbury that would have gotten you.

IndieDev said:
If you can find some good old price haircuts from the bubble to post bubble, post them in this thread.

I'll start off with a good one to get us started:
S657320_0.jpg
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/27-Reserve-92603/home/5927831

Bought April 27, 2007: $4,508,000
Sold July 8, 2011: $2,900,000

Haircut price: $1,608,000 for 4 years of living in ultra exclusive and Irvine special, unicorn fantasy land, Turtle Ridge!

What the owner could have also bought for $1.6 million...

British Made Javelin MK 20 Fighter Plane:
4154_15060572314.jpg

155 pounds of high grade Colombian Cocaine:
cocaine.jpg

Cantieri Navali Falcon Yacht:
testa_home_eng.gif

SIX 2011 Ferrari 458 Italia supercars:
ferrari_458_03.jpg

$400,000 more dollars if invested into Starbucks Stock in April 2007 and sold in July 2011:
pictures-of-cash-4.jpg

I guess people really do love living in Irvine.  :D

Apple would have been about 300% return :p

sprite.13209313_0.jpg
http://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/57-Snowdrop-Tree-92606/home/7202179

Bought September 6, 2006: $1,024,500
Current listing price: $737,000

Haircut price: $287,500! The former owners got about 4 and a half years of living in the ultra exclusive Columbus Grove before the bank booted them out, or the equivalent of renting that cool house for $5,050 a month (not including MR and tax which was significant for this home). Awesome.

Things you could buy for $287,500:

Slightly Used 2008 Lamborghini Murcielago LP640
lamborghini-murcielago-lp640%20(2).jpg

159 Ounces of pure gold (about 10 pounds)
Gold.jpg

About $400,000 MORE dollars if invested into Google stock in September 2006 instead of into that lovely tan/yellow home
win_cash.jpg

Indie - you own 7 figure house right.  how much would you have gained had you sold at peak and put that money in a stock like google or apple?

rkp said:
Indie - you own 7 figure house right.  how much would you have gained had you sold at peak and put that money in a stock like google or apple?

Probably 0.02% of my total net worth, or twice the amount you've been slaving away into your 401k the past 10 years.

IndieDev said:
rkp said:

Probably 0.02% of my total net worth, or twice the amount you've been slaving away into your 401k the past 10 years.

seeing that i shared my 401k amount of $140K+, that puts you at $280K loss.  thats a lot regardless of how much you have (and your net worth is definitely not $1.4 billion).

i dont really care how much you have or make.  its meaningless to talk about what these people could have possibly gained when the reality is that no one can guarantee constant gains.  i enjoy looking at the loss but you always talk about the possible gains with stocks.  then i guess you are a fool too as your $280K could have triggered tons with your amazing stock picks...

rkp said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:

seeing that i shared my 401k amount of $140K+, that puts you at $280K loss.  thats a lot regardless of how much you have (and your net worth is definitely not $1.4 billion).

i dont really care how much you have or make. 

The above pair of statements do not compute. You care, and you care an awful lot. Regardless, 0.02% is an acceptable variance when it comes to my vast wealth. Putting money into a company sponsored 401k isn't, at least in my book.

IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:

The above pair of statements do not compute. You care, and you care an awful lot. Regardless, 0.02% is an acceptable variance when it comes to my vast wealth. Putting money into a company sponsored 401k isn't, at least in my book.

Why is it that the instances of millionaires, 12 inchers, supermodels, and massive egos are so much higher on the internet?

shadax said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:

Why is it that the instances of millionaires, 12 inchers, supermodels, and massive egos are so much higher on the internet?

That's a question only non-wealthy people would care about.

IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:

you think i care because it took me 1 second to put in 2 numbers into a calc?  you mistake caring for being annoyed.  i am annoyed by your constant "could have" mentality and smarter than thou attitude.  these people lost money and were foolish to buy at peak.  no one disagrees there and this thread is great for pointing out the larger losses as it really shows the foolishness of some folks.  but you really believe you have some gifted ability to pick stocks and you use that in these examples and many times to refute others when talking about why a certain property might be an ok investment.  my initial point is that you would have made more as well had you sold at peak and invested in the stocks you tout.  it doesnt matter if $280K means anything to you or not.  we pick on these foolish peak buyers but we really dont know if their losses mean anything to them or they are all rich like you right?

i would love to discuss merits of a 401K and would *value* your opinion even though i think you are a jerk most of the time.  i have a lot to learn and am fine admitting that i am not an expert and winner at everything.  its funny.  you comment many times that NonFCB and others must be kids on their parents computers but the anger you display and the constant attacks on others puts you on the same boat. 

IndieDev said:
shadax said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:

That's a question only non-wealthy people would care about.

Don't get me wrong, I find it amusing when your trolling is taken seriously by people and you get their goat-  I get a good laugh.

rkp said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:
IndieDev said:
rkp said:

you think i care because it took me 1 second to put in 2 numbers into a calc?  you mistake caring for being annoyed.  i am annoyed by your constant "could have" mentality and smarter than thou attitude.  these people lost money and were foolish to buy at peak.  no one disagrees there and this thread is great for pointing out the larger losses as it really shows the foolishness of some folks.  but you really believe you have some gifted ability to pick stocks and you use that in these examples and many times to refute others when talking about why a certain property might be an ok investment.  my initial point is that you would have made more as well had you sold at peak and invested in the stocks you tout.  it doesnt matter if $280K means anything to you or not.  we pick on these foolish peak buyers but we really dont know if their losses mean anything to them or they are all rich like you right?

i would love to discuss merits of a 401K and would *value* your opinion even though i think you are a jerk most of the time.  i have a lot to learn and am fine admitting that i am not an expert and winner at everything.  its funny.  you comment many times that NonFCB and others must be kids on their parents computers but the anger you display and the constant attacks on others puts you on the same boat.

That's not a valid example for me. I'm not in the business of flipping real estate. What I do know is I bought my home for less than HALF of its current market value. So if we want to get technical, I've actually more than doubled my initial "investment". Poor people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing.

As for anger, I think it's pretty obvious who is angered in this thread, err, I mean "annoyed". Don't blame me for your inability to manage your finances, or realize any real gains from your hard earned money. I already told you I am not a great day trader, I pay someone to do it for me, and it's worked out quite well seeing as my portfolio gains vastly dwarf yours over a 10 year period.  :D

Back