Better Location for Resale in Irvine

bones said:
Compressed-Village said:
A large yard create buffer space between your neighbors for privacy. In case you break-winds only you hear it. A small yard or no yard force you to keep windows shut and shutter closed. It then really feel like an enclosed space.

This point has been brought up.  He doesn't like/need/want the privacy.

Oh ok, I hopes you OP have quiet neighbors. 😀

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
I, too, find this discussion fascinating, because while not everyone values a yard the same, I can't believe having a yard is such a low priority.  Like you LIAR, our backyard usage is frequent.  My kids ride their scooters/bikes back there, do all sorts of dirt digging, play baseball, catch, all sorts of imaginative games and all sorts of water activities in the summer.  And since this is our backyard, I can do things around the house while they're entertaining themselves outside.  But I know this is Irvine, and outside play isn't necessarily a priority :)

I'm not even sure where this topic started, but if it comes down to a PP vs SG comparison, then sure, I can understand not choosing a yard for other things (like a walking distance elementary school).  And I don't think Five Points gave PP bigger yards in lieu of a school, but rather, with 700 homes, the land acreage, etc, they master planned the school in a different, more central location to the other GP homes.  If SG only had 700 homes, I'm pretty sure an elem school wouldn't exist there either.

And we go as a family to the local park or pool and invite our friends to meet us there.  We cook at the BBQ and hang out there.  What I don't need to do is clean up the patio furniture or the BBQ beforehand.

If SG had 700 homes...it would most definitely have an elementary school but the price point would be significantly higher. 

Well if SG with 700 homes gets an elementary school, then EW certainly doesn't get one and PS wouldn't get theirs.  Can't support an elementary school with 700 homes.

TIC has put a school in just about every one of its communities...it's a major selling point for them.  PS is getting 2 elementary and a ton of people is clamor to get into Stonegate Elementary.

Irvinecommuter said:
But you can't do that with real estate.  There is a reason why each individual plot of real estate is seen as "unique".  All things aren't equal.  As RKP notes, there are people who love living in high rise buildings and other who love 10 acre ranches.  There are plenty of people who want to buy both.    The point being that everyone makes a list of priorities.  Some things are higher on the list than others.  For me, having a yard is on the bottom of the list.

One thing unique about Irvine is how similar everything is and how you can find model matches between villages.  We had a Woodbury San Marino and Laguna Altura version model match on hold and debated if the Laguna Altura $100K price increase was worth it.  The houses and lots were identical.  That ability to select between 2 identical properties in different hoods is unique to Irvine.

We live in Woodbury and my street has 6000sq ft lots.  The street behind us has 5000 sq ft lots.  The houses are identical.  When resales happen, most people compare price per sq ft and very little delta happens for the additional land.  That indicates to me that a slightly larger backyard isn't a game changer for most people.  However for me personally, I wish we had more privacy and a larger yard.  We entertain all the time and our kids are in the backyard for at least 2 hours every day after school. 

It would be interesting to know how much more people would pay for a mid size lot and a larger lot. 

Compressed-Village said:
A large yard create buffer space between your neighbors for privacy. In case you break-winds only you hear it. A small yard or no yard force you to keep windows shut and shutter closed. It then really feel like an enclosed space.

Also, now that marijuana is legal you don't want to be smelling your neighbors' skunkweed.  If it's a bad strain, it can make your whole house smell.

Compressed-Village said:
bones said:
Compressed-Village said:

This point has been brought up.  He doesn't like/need/want the privacy.

Oh ok, I hopes you OP have quiet neighbors. 😀

And we do. 

I acknowledged that having a yard means that there is less privacy and more likelihood of being bothered by neighbors.  But that's one reason why we live in Irvine.

We keep our windows closed pretty much 100% of the time (wife doesn't like the dust).  We have shades that are pretty much closed up because of the sun.  It's our personal preference and we like fine.

rkp said:
Irvinecommuter said:
But you can't do that with real estate.  There is a reason why each individual plot of real estate is seen as "unique".  All things aren't equal.  As RKP notes, there are people who love living in high rise buildings and other who love 10 acre ranches.  There are plenty of people who want to buy both.    The point being that everyone makes a list of priorities.  Some things are higher on the list than others.  For me, having a yard is on the bottom of the list.

One thing unique about Irvine is how similar everything is and how you can find model matches between villages.  We had a Woodbury San Marino and Laguna Altura version model match on hold and debated if the Laguna Altura $100K price increase was worth it.  The houses and lots were identical.  That ability to select between 2 identical properties in different hoods is unique to Irvine.

We live in Woodbury and my street has 6000sq ft lots.  The street behind us has 5000 sq ft lots.  The houses are identical.  When resales happen, most people compare price per sq ft and very little delta happens for the additional land.  That indicates to me that a slightly larger backyard isn't a game changer for most people.  However for me personally, I wish we had more privacy and a larger yard.  We entertain all the time and our kids are in the backyard for at least 2 hours every day after school. 

It would be interesting to know how much more people would pay for a mid size lot and a larger lot.

For the same "price", I would pick the bigger house over the bigger yard.

Don?t forget what goes inside of your homes has to appeal to the potential buyer(s). A big house with a big backyard that has bad taste in design, decors and lack functional can sit on the market for a reallly long time. It?s important to have good design and material selection when upgrade that counts when resale.

Liar Loan said:
Compressed-Village said:

Also, now that marijuana is legal you don't want to be smelling your neighbors' skunkweed.  If it's a bad strain, it can make your whole house smell.
Or more common are cigarettes... many hotels in Amsterdam are ok with weed but not cigarettes in the room

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:
I, too, find this discussion fascinating, because while not everyone values a yard the same, I can't believe having a yard is such a low priority.  Like you LIAR, our backyard usage is frequent.  My kids ride their scooters/bikes back there, do all sorts of dirt digging, play baseball, catch, all sorts of imaginative games and all sorts of water activities in the summer.  And since this is our backyard, I can do things around the house while they're entertaining themselves outside.  But I know this is Irvine, and outside play isn't necessarily a priority :)

I'm not even sure where this topic started, but if it comes down to a PP vs SG comparison, then sure, I can understand not choosing a yard for other things (like a walking distance elementary school).  And I don't think Five Points gave PP bigger yards in lieu of a school, but rather, with 700 homes, the land acreage, etc, they master planned the school in a different, more central location to the other GP homes.  If SG only had 700 homes, I'm pretty sure an elem school wouldn't exist there either.

And we go as a family to the local park or pool and invite our friends to meet us there.  We cook at the BBQ and hang out there.  What I don't need to do is clean up the patio furniture or the BBQ beforehand.

If SG had 700 homes...it would most definitely have an elementary school but the price point would be significantly higher. 

Well if SG with 700 homes gets an elementary school, then EW certainly doesn't get one and PS wouldn't get theirs.  Can't support an elementary school with 700 homes.

TIC has put a school in just about every one of its communities...it's a major selling point for them.  PS is getting 2 elementary and a ton of people is clamor to get into Stonegate Elementary.

Bc every one of their communities with schools has thousands of homes.  No school in Laguna Altura b/c fewer homes.  I know you like to argue, but explain to me how a 700 home community (alone) can support a k-5?  Each grade would have one class?  And they would staff all the admin and a principal to run it?  Doesn't make financial sense.

rkp said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I have noticed the same.  It's been hard to pinpoint the yard premium in some of these same tract resale homes because of other factors. 

AW said:
Liar Loan said:
Or more common are cigarettes... many hotels in Amsterdam are ok with weed but not cigarettes in the room

Yes, I would think in Irvine that is more often the case, but it's still good to think about all the possibilities.  Under the new law, a pot smoker could move in next door and there is nothing you could do to stop the smell.  At least with some space between homes, you have a buffer and hopefully the wind blows most of it away.

Last time I visited San Francisco, there were people smoking pot on the street everywhere and it got old really fast.  The more blue Irvine becomes, the more likely it will be taken over by potheads.  Irvine PD won't be able to harass the non-white kids into stopping either.

Irvinecommuter said:

I think this is more rationalizing... or "personal preference".

There are cons to using the public space as you have to be sure someone else isn't using it, that's it's clean (you should clean that BBQ beforehand... you have no idea what went on in it), you have to bring more stuff there and if you forget, you have to go back home, etc etc.

My wife and I work and we don't get home until 6 or 7 p.m.  Then shower/cleanup/homework then bed time.  Then there are sports.  Weekends, we are out at church or with friends. 

Not sure of your point here other than maybe you are too busy to maintain a backyard? Our schedule seems just as hectic as yours... except we don't shower (I kid)... but the yard doesn't take away from that. In fact, we prefer burgers bbq'd so it's even more convenient to go out the back door and do it rather than plan a trip to the park.

But yes, I get it. You reiterated that you would rather have more house than yard, but I do think that if you were given more yard for the same house, same location, same price... you would take it. If you're saying you wouldn't because of yard maintenance woes... that's suspect because more land means more value.

I mean personal preference is a thing.  You ever consider a cultural difference?  Like some people don't enjoy sitting in the sun for hours? 

Again...this concept that everyone must use same methods of social interaction is weird to me.

Now you know how I felt because I had a different opinion of a movie than you. But that's the thing, a movie is subjective... a larger lot size is less so. It's just math... like money and good looks... more is better. :)

irvinehomeowner said:
I think this is more rationalizing... or "personal preference".

There are cons to using the public space as you have to be sure someone else isn't using it, that's it's clean (you should clean that BBQ beforehand... you have no idea what went on in it), you have to bring more stuff there and if you forget, you have to go back home, etc etc.

No...they have brushes there.  Just jack up the heat...burn off a bunch of stuff and use foil.  I BBQ like 5 times a year.  I don't need to buy a bbq

Not sure of your point here other than maybe you are too busy to maintain a backyard? Our schedule seems just as hectic as yours... except we don't shower (I kid)... but the yard doesn't take away from that. In fact, we prefer burgers bbq'd so it's even more convenient to go out the back door and do it rather than plan a trip to the park.

But yes, I get it. You reiterated that you would rather have more house than yard, but I do think that if you were given more yard for the same house, same location, same price... you would take it. If you're saying you wouldn't because of yard maintenance woes... that's suspect because more land means more value.

It is not a matter of taking away...it is a matter of how much value added.  You get good use out of your yard and that's great.  We don't use our yard.

We don't eat burgers very much or need a grill.  My mentioning of the landscaping costs is that the value added is further reduced by the need for maintenance costs.

And again...the "same size, same location, but bigger yard" example is pointless because it doesn't exist.  A house with a bigger yard is going to cost more because it's a bigger yard.  The question is whether I rather spend the extra money to buy a bigger house or in a better location.  I chose the latter two.

Again...this concept that everyone must use same methods of social interaction is weird to me.

Now you know how I felt because I had a different opinion of a movie than you. But that's the thing, a movie is subjective... a larger lot size is less so. It's just math... like money and good looks... more is better. :)

Again...that assumes "all things are equal" when in reality it is not.

Poor IC... just because you don't want to, you won't answer the "all things are equal" question.

Like many others have said... you need that equalizer to get down to what your real opinion is. If it's colored by extra cost or location, then we can't get to the heart of your opinion.

And I do think there are homes with bigger yards in Irvine for the same cost as yours and same size house (or even bigger), you just have to deal with other differences.

People answer questions like this all the time, you just don't want to for some reason. It's like the "if money were no object" question.

But I guess if you were a 1%er... you would get the biggest house with no yard.

irvinehomeowner said:
Poor IC... just because you don't want to, you won't answer the "all things are equal" question.

Like many others have said... you need that equalizer to get down to what your real opinion is. If it's colored by extra cost or location, then we can't get to the heart of your opinion.

And I do think there are homes with bigger yards in Irvine for the same cost as yours and same size house (or even bigger), you just have to deal with other differences.

People answer questions like this all the time, you just don't want to for some reason. It's like the "if money were no object" question.

But I guess if you were a 1%er... you would get the biggest house with no yard.

I am not a 1% so again..conversation is silly.  If I were, I would buy in Newport Beach or Malibu.

No...you don't need an equalizer.  A house on a bigger lot will cost more...I rather spend the difference on something else like a bigger house or a better location.

Of course there are, but I choose those differences over having a yard.  Woodbridge is not Stonegate, which is not Orchard Hill, which is not University Park. 

Again...priorities.  If yard is such a big deal, why not move to Vacaville or the IE?  They have huge lots out there.

This thread.... Mention yard.  Don?t like them. Mention privacy/space. Don?t like fresh air or sun. Mention burgers. Dont eat them much. Mention outdoor time. Too busy.

Dead.

bones said:
This thread.... Mention yard.  Don?t like them. Mention privacy/space. Don?t like fresh air or sun. Mention burgers. Dont eat them much. Mention outdoor time. Too busy.

Dead.

I am not understanding this...do I have to like those things? 

I am not speaking for anyone else.  I am not sure why others feel the need to say that I should like certain things or not. 

Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:

Dead.

I am not speaking for anyone else.  I am not sure why others feel the need to say that I should like certain things or not. 

Nope not saying you need to like anything. 

bones said:
Irvinecommuter said:
bones said:

Dead.

Nope not saying you need to like anything.

So...I'm not understanding this discussion.  If you like your yard and believes that it is something worth paying for...great.  I rather spend my money for other priorities. 

I mean Burns always talks about Honda versus BMW but personally I prefer a Lexus over a BMW because they are lower maintenance and more functional. 

Back