Best Way to Get to LAX

Irvinecommuter

Since Orange County does not believe in mass transit, choices for getting to LAX are limited.

Curious to see what the TIers have experienced in trying to make it to LAX from Orange County without driving oneself and paying for parking there. 

So far, the cheapest way to go seems to be Amtrak/Metrolink and Flyaway from Union Station.

Rent a car (pickup at OC Airport or another location near your home) and drop it off at LAX.  Usually can find one for like $30 plus $10 gas fill up.

aquabliss said:
Rent a car (pickup at OC Airport or another location near your home) and drop it off at LAX.  Usually can find one for like $30 plus $10 gas fill up.

Interesting idea, but how convenient is this?  factor in extra time/traveling with kids/how far the rentals are from the gate

Wasn't there that shuttle $20 flat rate
Problem with uber sometimes is they arrive to your spot, you say lax, they can say too far and not agree and leave

USCTrojanCPA said:
How about Uber?  That way you can get in the carpool lane.  :p

Based upon the fare estimates...Uber fares are like $60-75 from Irvine to LAX.  I would just take a shuttle for that price.

We always do the rental car way to go to LAX if there is no one available to drop/pick us up.  Its pretty convenient especially if you have more than 2 people heading over there with a car full of luggage.

Only thing is the car rental drop off location is not inside LAX but the rental car company usually provides a shuttle and they drop you off in front of terminal you need to be at.

My company gives us a good discount for car rental, but we have also us costco for cheap rental rates for one way.

aquabliss said:

$30?  Seems very low....rental places usually tack on a $50 charge for returning a car to another site.

Irvinecommuter said:
aquabliss said:

$30?  Seems very low....rental places usually tack on a $50 charge for returning a car to another site.

Shouldn't be that hard if you book  well enough in advance.  Tried a few and got between $25 and $45 rate for SNA out and LAX in.  Here's an example:
https://www.costcotravel.com
Pick Up: SNA, OCT 28 9a
Return: LAX, OCT 28 2p

Toyota Corolla is $25 @ Alamo, Taxes included.

hehegrl said:
We always do the rental car way to go to LAX if there is no one available to drop/pick us up.  Its pretty convenient especially if you have more than 2 people heading over there with a car full of luggage.

Only thing is the car rental drop off location is not inside LAX but the rental car company usually provides a shuttle and they drop you off in front of terminal you need to be at.

My company gives us a good discount for car rental, but we have also us costco for cheap rental rates for one way.

how do you get to the rental car company?  do they pick you up?

aquabliss said:
Irvinecommuter said:
aquabliss said:

Shouldn't be that hard if you book  well enough in advance.  Tried a few and got between $25 and $45 rate for SNA out and LAX in.  Here's an example:
https://www.costcotravel.com
Pick Up: SNA, OCT 28 9a
Return: LAX, OCT 28 2p

Toyota Corolla is $25 @ Alamo, Taxes included.

It's definitely an option..I guess you have to book way ahead of time and not on a weekend.  It's about $45-50 on weekends but cheaper than a shuttle.

yaliu07 said:
how do you get to the rental car company?  do they pick you up?

we usually just drive to the closest car rental and i drop of the hubs and he picks up the car and bring the car back. 

No relatives/friends?

What sux for me is when we fly, it's always SNA, so our relatives/friends have an easy drop-off/pick-up, but then when they ask me to return the favor... they fly out of LAX... doh.

That's the only time you will see me leaving Orange County, to drop/get someone at LAX.

irvinehomeowner said:
No relatives/friends?

What sux for me is when we fly, it's always SNA, so our relatives/friends have an easy drop-off/pick-up, but then when they ask me to return the favor... they fly out of LAX... doh.

That's the only time you will see me leaving Orange County, to drop/get someone at LAX.

LAX is too far of a trip for me to ask a friend.  Usually family but I am out of luck this time. 

LAX is basically the only choice for non-Mexico/Canada international flights.

Back