Best Area to Invest in Irvine (apprecation value)

Irvine2Irvine said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
Blueberry East loves the Worldcup said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
locolocal said:

Irvine School District and no mello roos? That's pretty good when you like high rise buildings.

The school district is Santa Ana and there's $1000 /month association fee.

Well, then I'm glad I didn't buy it. Redfin says Irvine Unified.

But isn't a 24-hour concierge worth the $1000/month association fee?

That depends on the concierge  :D

I need to look at pictures of her before I can decide.  :-*

i don't think it will be jessica alba...

irvinefan said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
locolocal said:

Irvine School District and no mello roos? That's pretty good when you like high rise buildings.

The school district is Santa Ana and there's $1000 /month association fee.

Well, then I'm glad I didn't buy it. Redfin says Irvine Unified.

But isn't a 24-hour concierge worth the $1000/month association fee?

That depends on the concierge  :D

I need to look at pictures of her before I can decide.  :-*

i don't think it will be jessica alba...
I'm not that picky, a close look-a-like is good enough for me. 

Currently, in the new development WB is selling as premium ..... PS is more remote but might be an advantage, but the land fills and near fire zone will always be a concern.

WBE and Stonegate will always shadow by WB due to the central location with facilities. WB is an experiment for Irvine company, they spent a lot of money building all the infrastructures and from the people that work for the company that designed WB .... it will not happen again in other development.

There are playgrounds, pools, soccer field, tennis court, baseball field, basketball court, banks, Starbucks, home depots, clinics, traders joes, Fastfoods, Asian foods, Italian foods, Mexican foods, Chevron, elementary school, .....

Irvine is not the best investment but I don't think it's a bad one, especially if you have young kids and can afford it.

Patrick Star said:
mikeirvine said:
WBE and Stonegate will always shadow by WB due to the central location with facilities. WB is an experiment for Irvine company, they spent a lot of money building all the infrastructures and from the people that work for the company that designed WB .... it will not happen again in other development.

There are playgrounds, pools, soccer field, tennis court, baseball field, basketball court, banks, Starbucks, home depots, clinics, traders joes, Fastfoods, Asian foods, Italian foods, Mexican foods, Chevron, elementary school, .....

Woodbury has very well thought out community facilities, but I'm not sure I would characterize it as unique or special when benchmarked against other Irvine Villages.  Have you ever been to Northpark?  Portola Springs will also have a community park and a shopping center at buildout, and is probably 2 minutes from the Home Depot and clinics at Woodbury.  My reply is not a shot at Woodbury --- and I understand you like Woodbury better because you live there.  But please note that residents of most Irvine Villages could make the exact same arguement you made for Woodbury.

Completely agree.  I would say the most unique neighborhood is the other WB, Woodbridge, because of the Lakes.  The two lakes occupy a vast amount of land that in today's land price will not be repeated again in Irvine and probably in all of OC. 

I did buy in Woodbury and it's very nice, but I wouldn't call it unique.  The "playgrounds, pools, soccer field, tennis court, baseball field, basketball court, banks, Starbucks, home depots, clinics, traders joes, Fastfoods, Asian foods, Italian foods, Mexican foods, Chevron, elementary school" can be found in many other neighborhoods like OakCreek, WestPark, Woodbridge, El Camino Real, etc.

Irvine2Irvine said:
I would say the most unique neighborhood is the other WB, Woodbridge, because of the Lakes.  The two lakes occupy a vast amount of land that in today's land price will not be repeated again in Irvine and probably in all of OC. 

Check this out.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YnJva2VyZGFuLmNvbXxicm9rZXJkYW58Z3g6NTZlYmUyNzRkOWIyNjFkMQ

test said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
I would say the most unique neighborhood is the other WB, Woodbridge, because of the Lakes.  The two lakes occupy a vast amount of land that in today's land price will not be repeated again in Irvine and probably in all of OC. 

Check this out.

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=YnJva2VyZGFuLmNvbXxicm9rZXJkYW58Z3g6NTZlYmUyNzRkOWIyNjFkMQ

How about the East of Orange project by TIC?
It should be very nice near the Lake Village area. Eventually the project will place 4000 homes on 2000 acres. I am not sure of the time line for build out--but I am sure it has been delayed.
http://www.eastoforange.com/index.asp
map_550.jpg

Irvine2Irvine said:
But. the one with more ground contamination will have kids with extra digits or limbs...

Those kids will have a natural advantage at piano and karate lessons. Higher ground contamination will carry a premium.  ;)

Patrick Star said:
test said:
Irvine2Irvine said:

Check this out.

Very cool.  Once the City of Tustin and TUSD (if they can ever get along) get their act together and put the new schools into Tustin Legacy, this could be a very viable alternative to Irvine.  No denying the more central location of Tustin Legacy --- and with The District and Diamond Jamboree now thriving, that area is more appealing yet.  I bet Tustin Legacy and the Great Park neighborhoods end up going head to head in about 5 years or so.  That will be interesting.  Maybe it will come down to the one with less ground contamination wins....

Irvinebabe.....maybe Ainsley Park in Columbus Grove is a better investment opportunity.  Looks like they will be priced below $300 per sq ft ---- benchmarking lower than the new homes from TIC.  And it is still IUSD. 

http://lyonainsleypark.com/plans/index.php

thanks! I do like the location of columbus grove, but am afraid of the ground contamination :(

irvinebabe said:
Patrick Star said:
test said:
Irvine2Irvine said:

Check this out.

Very cool.  Once the City of Tustin and TUSD (if they can ever get along) get their act together and put the new schools into Tustin Legacy, this could be a very viable alternative to Irvine.  No denying the more central location of Tustin Legacy --- and with The District and Diamond Jamboree now thriving, that area is more appealing yet.  I bet Tustin Legacy and the Great Park neighborhoods end up going head to head in about 5 years or so.  That will be interesting.  Maybe it will come down to the one with less ground contamination wins....

Irvinebabe.....maybe Ainsley Park in Columbus Grove is a better investment opportunity.  Looks like they will be priced below $300 per sq ft ---- benchmarking lower than the new homes from TIC.  And it is still IUSD. 

thanks! I do like the location of columbus grove, but am afraid of the ground contamination :(

It's very sad that the military used to just bury everything, they just did not know any better.  And the military uses some of the most toxic chemicals available.  Of course, they do dispose of it a little more properly now days but nowhere close to the requirements of the commercial sector which has to follow the overly jealous California laws.

IrvinePilot said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
irvinebabe said:
Patrick Star said:
test said:
Irvine2Irvine said:

Check this out.

It's very sad that the military used to just bury everything, they just did not know any better.  And the military uses some of the most toxic chemicals available.  Of course, they do dispose of it a little more properly now days but nowhere close to the requirements of the commercial sector which has to follow the overly jealous California laws.
Remediated contamination should not have that big of an effect on real estate prices.  One Ford Road in Newport Beach was built on the old heavily contaminated site of the Ford Aerospace / Philco Electornics plant.  That did not stop superagent John McMonigle, who presumably knows a lot about real estate value, from living their with his young children for a number of years.

i used to visit my friend's house at One Ford Road and never knew there was contamination there!

IrvinePilot said:
Remediated contamination should not have that big of an effect on real estate prices.  One Ford Road in Newport Beach was built on the old heavily contaminated site of the Ford Aerospace / Philco Electornics plant.  That did not stop superagent John McMonigle, who presumably knows a lot about real estate value, from living their with his young children for a number of years.

Defense contractor like Ford Aerospace has to follow the same environmental rules as any other commercial industrial business in California.  So they did not bury "stuff" any more than any other business.

US Military is a different subject and they certainly buried a lot of "stuff".

In the long run, it will not affect the resale value much, especially as the memory fades away.
But, Irvinebabe's concern is with the health effects.  It may not be bad for you, but it cerntainly cannot be good for you.

Irvine2Irvine said:
IrvinePilot said:

Defense contractor like Ford Aerospace has to follow the same environmental rules as any other commercial industrial business in California.  So they did not bury "stuff" any more than any other business.

In the long run, it will not affect the resale value much, especially as the memory fades away.
But, Irvinebabe's concern is with the health effects.  It may not be bad for you, but it cerntainly cannot be good for you.

You are exactly right, I am more concerned about the effect the contamination might have on my health. Thanks for clarifying that.

I actually, don't like WB at first as I feel that it's boring and all the homes are ugly, including mine and prefer PS more and love laguna beach.

I rent in WB for almost two years and look at many areas .....But when I finally decide to buy, I pick WB ..... still wonder why? LOL

How they sold out all the new WB homes at premium? Irvine company marketing for sure ....

Irvine2Irvine said:
Patrick Star said:
mikeirvine said:

Woodbury has very well thought out community facilities, but I'm not sure I would characterize it as unique or special when benchmarked against other Irvine Villages.  Have you ever been to Northpark?  Portola Springs will also have a community park and a shopping center at buildout, and is probably 2 minutes from the Home Depot and clinics at Woodbury.  My reply is not a shot at Woodbury --- and I understand you like Woodbury better because you live there.  But please note that residents of most Irvine Villages could make the exact same arguement you made for Woodbury.

Completely agree.  I would say the most unique neighborhood is the other WB, Woodbridge, because of the Lakes.  The two lakes occupy a vast amount of land that in today's land price will not be repeated again in Irvine and probably in all of OC. 

I did buy in Woodbury and it's very nice, but I wouldn't call it unique.  The "playgrounds, pools, soccer field, tennis court, baseball field, basketball court, banks, Starbucks, home depots, clinics, traders joes, Fastfoods, Asian foods, Italian foods, Mexican foods, Chevron, elementary school" can be found in many other neighborhoods like OakCreek, WestPark, Woodbridge, El Camino Real, etc.

mikeirvine said:
I actually, don't like WB at first as I feel that it's boring and all the homes are ugly, including mine and prefer PS more and love laguna beach.

I rent in WB for almost two years and look at many areas .....But when I finally decide to buy, I pick WB ..... still wonder why? LOL

How they sold out all the new WB homes at premium? Irvine company marketing for sure ....

Irvine2Irvine said:
Patrick Star said:
mikeirvine said:

I agree about the Portola Springs.  It will command a premium over Woodbury when it's all built out.  I was VERY close to buying Las Colina, but at the end decided to save the $700 per month in additional payment. 

But, I am planning to move in 10-15 years to a house with a nice view, which means I will be moving out of Irvine.  Hopefully the Woodbury home will have appreciated by then.

irvinebabe said:
Hello again...

Which area do you think is the best place to buy in Irvine? I've heard from agents that Woodbury is actually not a good area since there are too much open land for newer houses in the area, the chance of appreciation is low. (Plus being so close to the landfill) Same thing goes for Northwood...so if that's the case, i guess Stonegate/PS/OH are all out of the question as a good investment?

Would you think buying an older house with low/no mello roos is a better idea an owning the new houses?
If these questions were easily answered by any of us... we would all be rich and living somewhere else (at least some of you would... I would still live in Irvine... heh).

To invest, not very much room for appreciation right now in Irvine because it still priced above OC/SoCal averages. General rule is buy the cheapest place in the nicest area, but the question is which area is nicest in Irvine.

I would probably say any place built in the 90s or later as they still have floorplans that are fairly new and not outdated. This goes against the poll here of where people want to live most (Turtle Rock) but newer homes tend to have some built in price protection due to how much they were originally bought (or recently resold) for and the unwillingness to drop below that baseline.

Most people here have the right notion that trying to invest in real estate anywhere (not just Irvine) is not recommended and if you are just looking to live in your home, for you to pick out the best place that suits your needs in the area you like most.

Good luck and welcome to TI.

irvinebabe said:
Irvine2Irvine said:
IrvinePilot said:

You are exactly right, I am more concerned about the effect the contamination might have on my health. Thanks for clarifying that.

I was driving by Columbus Grove today and it just dawned on me that the area used to be housing for the Marines.  I used to pass by it all the time before they shut down that part of the base.  I just forgot about it until now. 
Since the Columbus Grove area used to be Marine housing, they probably did not do much burying of the hazardous materials there.  It probably was easier to bury it somewhere else on the base where it is wide open.
The  Columbus Square might be questionable but Columbus Grove might be OK as far as contamination goes.

Irvine2Irvine said:
I was driving by Columbus Grove today and it just dawned on me that the area used to be housing for the Marines.  I used to pass by it all the time before they shut down that part of the base.  I just forgot about it until now. 
Since the Columbus Grove area used to be Marine housing, they probably did not do much burying of the hazardous materials there.  It probably was easier to bury it somewhere else on the base where it is wide open.
The  Columbus Square might be questionable but Columbus Grove might be OK as far as contamination goes.

Columbus Square is built on the old Tustin Villas community.  Columbus Grove is built on the old Marble Mountain and Moffett Meadows communities.
http://articles.latimes.com/2002/may/05/opinion/ed-oc-tustin5

Back