Behind the Orange Curtains

[quote author="bltserv" date=1240629747]

The other thing you really notice when you drive north. The feeling upon return.

The moment you hit Seal Beach on the 405. Or you hit the 91 on the 5.

You realize you have returned to the your side of the curtain.

Good to be home again behind the Orange Curtain. LOL</blockquote>

Man, is that a true statement. Even the freeway reflectors are brighter in OC. Going south on the 5 past the 91 the dramatic transition from LA to OC is almost too much too believe. It's like you literally drove right into Disneyland from Baghdad.

I voted visit often...all my in-laws live in Porter Ranch in the San Fernando Valley, and we have lots of friends in the 626. Venture north at least every other weekend, and I also need to work out of the downtown LA office fairly often. We get a lot of pressure from the family to move up to the Valley. We would love to live near them, but it is never gonna happen --- could not stand living there..

LA is a complete toilet. Every time year i drive up 5 to northern California and it is the most wretched stretch of the driving along with the bad freeways, traffic and drivers. And every time there is at least 2 cars on the way broken down in the middle of the freeway. Last time i drove through the taggers trashed a mural on the side of the freeway from the LA Olympics. Yet on both sides of the concrete wall nothing but clean concrete. Just twisted i had to laugh. The sooner it disappears the better

[quote author="bltserv" date=1240633013][quote author="roundcorners" date=1240631944]Lakers and Concerts at the Forum. Running to Hollywood Park after work to play the last 2 races. All the killer Bars and Chicks in Manhatten Beach. Just seems like singles here have a much harder time of it. Its fine down here if you want to hit on Cougars. But all the young people. (My son is 23) seem to still go North to LA for Clubing and music.

There is some action in Dana Point he says. But he goes at least once a month to the darkside to party with his friends. And he says the same thing. "DAD how the hell did you grow up in that part of town". "I had no idea how rough it is". "That drive sucks".

Another spoiled OC Brat.</blockquote>

Do you think you have equipped your son for the world and life outside Irvine?</blockquote>

I started him in martial arts at about 7 years old. United Studios on La Paz.

Today he is at Gracie Bara over on Sand Canyon. He is more than equipped physically.

Emotionally he is learning the hard way. Yes the world is a different place outside the OC.

But his job looks like he may be traveling Internationally soon. So he can get the full picture on his own time. As Parents we give them the tools, skills and ethics. They will learn the rest on there own. Let them enjoy being young. As long as they have a good heart and soul they can and will survive anything outside the OC.</blockquote>

IMO, traveling internationally or studying abroad is the single best thing parents can encourage their kids to do.

My favorite freeway sign coming back to Orange County is "Beach Cities" at the I-15 South - 91 West Ramp.

I used to have to drive to work into LA once a week and each time it felt like going into a war zone. I love going up to LA from time to time though to visit the Getty, Malibu and Pasadena. Living in the OC gives us the best of both worlds. We have access to diverse places within driving distance and get to come back to the relatively safe Orange Curtain.

I, too, grew up in the South Bay.

The first times we visited Irvine was back when there was Lion Country Safari.

Whenever I would visit Irvine during my younger years... I was shocked by the amount of green grass and trees... and no electrical/telephone poles/wires.

Once I moved to Orange County, I realized I never want to go back to LA.

The only time I go to LA is for food or friends... everything else I just better here.

I'm the opposite of many here in this thread. I grew up in OC, and as soon as I could drive I wanted to get out from suburbia to LA. I went to Griffith Observatory, Melrose, BH, K-Town (and I'm a cracker), Venice Beach etc. any chance that I got. I sought culture, I sought something different, I sought some actual diversity. It is one of the main reasons why I chose to go to school in the SF bay area, I had to get out of this suburban hell. At the time, I never thought I would move back, but I did, and I am glad that I did.

Anyway, I still need to get out. While OC has greatly improved on it's culture and it's diversity, it still lacks something that only a big city that LA or better can provide. If I had it my way, I would be off to another major city every month like NYC, Chi-town, DC, Seattle, and SF if I could. But I settle for LA on about a once a month basis. I go there for the theater, museums, architecture, wine bars, restaurants, or just for the hell of it... walking around the jewelry district because Cayci nor I have ever done that. I can understand those with kids that have a difficult time in getting away like that, but I know DINKs that won't even travel to LA. I think that is a waste, there is so much to see there, and so many things to do, that you can't possible do here, and <strong>if you don't see or experience them now... you never will, and you will regret it</strong>.

Most of you who would have the guts to see some of the downtown LA architecture, but won't go see it because you make traffic excuses, also wouldn't have the balls to see the same type of architecture in DT Santa Ana. It's sad, because you are missing out on so much, and you are making your kids miss out on so much. I can't tell you how disappointed I am in the poor turn out on the Floral Park tour. My gawd... do you realize how cool this neighborhood is? History, culture, art, and architecture rapped up in one. Where were you? If you say traffic, the next time I see you... I get to punch you in the head.

Many of you have become too comfortable in your suburban chain restaurant loving ways of Irvine. I vow, right here, and right now, I will never ever become like you, even if I ever have kids. The traffic to LA sucks big fat rhino d*ck, but it always has, and that is part of the cost of dealing with LA, just like HOAs and mello roos are for Irvine. It's a sacrifice you make to gain something in the end.

You all need to get out more, you really don't know how sad you sound until you look through it from an open minded perspective. Get out more! Going to Red Robin as a night out is not cool, in fact it makes you look like a high school student loser who couldn't find a non-chain restaurant.

[/rant]

[quote author="graphrix" date=1240845990]Many of you have become too comfortable in your suburban chain restaurant loving ways of Irvine.

</blockquote>
I think most of us appreciate non-chain restaurants... that's why the Dining forum exists.

<blockquote>

I vow, right here, and right now, I will never ever become like you, even if I ever have kids.</blockquote>
You may not become like us, but having kids will change your perspective greatly.

For those of us who grew up in LA... we appreciate the "safety" of Irvine.

From your post, it sounds like you feel LA is nice place to visit... but not to live... or would you rather live there too?

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240869268][quote author="graphrix" date=1240845990]Many of you have become too comfortable in your suburban chain restaurant loving ways of Irvine.

</blockquote>
I think most of us appreciate non-chain restaurants... that's why the Dining forum exists.

<blockquote>

I vow, right here, and right now, I will never ever become like you, even if I ever have kids.</blockquote>
You may not become like us, but having kids will change your perspective greatly.

For those of us who grew up in LA... we appreciate the "safety" of Irvine.

From your post, it sounds like you feel LA is nice place to visit... but not to live... or would you rather live there too?</blockquote>

Actually, yes I would live in Redondo, Palos Verdes or Manhattan Beach if it were a viable option for me. But, that wasn't my point, nor is it the point of the thread... the point is to go out and have a life and see some culture. Tot lots and stucco boxes are not culture. If the only reason your kids get to go to the Getty is because if a school field trip, then I think you have issues.

I warn you, if you shelter your kids then you run the risk of two things:

1. They rebel the second they get that chance and will be escaping to LA. Partly my point. When I could drive at 16, I was up there. I wasn't supposed to be, but I was.

2. Their kid becomes so sheltered, that when it comes to college they don't even apply USC because they are so scared, even though it could be the better school for that major. USC is really not that scary, but unless they know that, then they will be stuck going to some school that could possibly hold them back.

[quote author="graphrix" date=1240875356][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240869268]From your post, it sounds like you feel LA is nice place to visit... but not to live... or would you rather live there too?</blockquote>

Actually, yes I would live in Redondo, Palos Verdes or Manhattan Beach if it were a viable option for me.

</blockquote>
Hehe... that's not really living in LA... try Carson, Wilmington or East LA for "culture".

<blockquote>

But, that wasn't my point, nor is it the point of the thread... the point is to go out and have a life and see some culture. Tot lots and stucco boxes are not culture. If the only reason your kids get to go to the Getty is because if a school field trip, then I think you have issues.

</blockquote>
It's all relative depending on what you call "culture". Sure... some of the places you listed are great... but to actually get to them is not really safe. There are parts of downtown... where I wouldn't want to be walking, let alone my wife and kids.

"Hey kids... this man is called a 'bum'... he doesn't have a place to live and has probably went doody in his pants which is why you are holding your noses."

"Oh... and this is called a 'mugger', please be quiet while I empty my wallet for him."

<blockquote>

I warn you, if you shelter your kids then you run the risk of two things:

1. They rebel the second they get that chance and will be escaping to LA. Partly my point. When I could drive at 16, I was up there. I wasn't supposed to be, but I was.

2. Their kid becomes so sheltered, that when it comes to college they don't even apply USC because they are so scared, even though it could be the better school for that major. USC is really not that scary, but unless they know that, then they will be stuck going to some school that could possibly hold them back.</blockquote>
I call hogwash... you are going to the other extreme. It's not like we are raising our kids to not go beyond the sacred "Orange Curtain". But other than the occasional visit, what does LA really hold that they need to grow up "unsheltered"?

Seriously, when you do have kids and realize you are now responsible for a life other than your own... the "safety" issue will hit you. When I was 14 years old... I was walking down PCH... one of the busiest streets in LA suburbia and I got jumped in BROAD DAYLIGHT (10:30am if I remember correctly) by 3 juvenile delinquents. They took $10 out of my wallet and left me with a bloody face. I had to jaywalk across PCH to find a phonebooth and the cop car sitting at the gas station didn't do a thing. Did it keep me from walking around my 'hood? No... because that was "normal" to me. Will I subject my kid to that? Hell no! Because that shouldn't be "normal" for anyone. If that's what you call sheltering... then I'm Mr. Shelter Skelter.

To experience the best in life we all have to take risks. Be smart and avoid odd hours at unfamiliar places.

My daughter was the docent at my house during the Santa Ana Home Tour and conversed with over 5,000 visitors during the course of two days. She is only 12 and greatly appreciated the experience. She was at the neighborhood party afterward talking to several brain and heart surgeon neighbors because she wants to be a traveling doctor.

Stop hiding behind the Orange curtain because knowledge is not gained by reading my and others' posts. Knowledge is gained by being well traveled and exposed. Well travel is not a two week vacation on the Disney Cruise or some exotic resort destinations.

I have been a victim of crime more than any of you and that did not stop me from taking risk. Living in a bubble limits your horizon.

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240877129]

I call hogwash... you are going to the other extreme. It's not like we are raising our kids to not go beyond the sacred "Orange Curtain". But other than the occasional visit, what does LA really hold that they need to grow up "unsheltered"?

</blockquote>

I was the one that didn't even apply to USC even though I could get in because I was the afraid, sheltered, little, conservative Christian girl. I went to safe, clean, park-centered UCI instead. I don't regret it, but still. Dad told me it was safe if you stayed on campus and then he didn't get his legacy child.

However, I wasn't afraid of Hollywood Blvd because the Pantages theater is there and my parents actually took me there as a child.

Homeless people? Seriously? They just sit there in my experience. There is very little to be afraid of, and it might give your kids motivation to not end up like that if they actually see them. Your kids are in more physical danger, statistically, while riding in your car than walking in most cities. And punk kids are not going to attack a whole family.

Graph and I have recently been trying to remedy the fact that I'm a grown woman who had never been to any LA museums, Griffith Park, the Hollywood Bowl, K-town, Little Tokyo or the Sunset Strip.

[quote author="caycifish" date=1240881631][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240877129]

</blockquote>

I was the one that didn't even apply to USC even though I could get in because I was the afraid, sheltered, little, conservative Christian girl. I went to safe, clean, park-centered UCI instead. I don't regret it, but still. Dad told me it was safe if you stayed on campus and then he didn't get his legacy child.

However, I wasn't afraid of Hollywood Blvd because the Pantages theater is there and my parents actually took me there as a child.

Homeless people? Seriously? They just sit there in my experience. There is very little to be afraid of, and it might give your kids motivation to not end up like that if they actually see them. Your kids are in more physical danger, statistically, while riding in your car than walking in most cities. And punk kids are not going to attack a whole family.

Graph and I have recently been trying to remedy the fact that I'm a grown woman who had never been to any LA museums, Griffith Park, the Hollywood Bowl, K-town, Little Tokyo or the Sunset Strip.</blockquote>

It is never too late to start because today is the first day for the rest of your life.

I just found another use for the frontal 3 car garage : HIDE.

I was surprised to hear several neighbors moved to Floral Park from Irvine because their homes were burglarized. They also heard that neighbors were moving except that it was the burglar who drove the moving van.

They also learned that neighbors kept to themselves and did not alert each others about the crime. This type of crime statistic is not included in the annual crime report and Police never alert the residents. The so call HOA who collects your dues never publishes them in their monthly newsletter or send the alert along with the invoices. It is all about the preservation of the good reputation. That is the "curtain" I am afraid of. The false sense of security.

There is a Floral Park Email alert sent to every homeowners when any criminal incident occured in the communities and that includes sighting of icicle guns as well.

On saturday I participated in the March of Dimes walk in the streets around Exhibition Park. This is the first time I went back to my old neighborhood in many years (I used on live on Menlo Ave). During the entire walk, my thoughts were that I can't believe I used to live here, and that I'd never allow my family now to live in a place like this. I used to have romantic memories of growing up in the 'hood but I think I'm finally ready to surrender my ghetto pass.

[quote author="caycifish" date=1240881631][quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1240877129]

</blockquote>

</blockquote>
Interesting... I haven't heard any of my relatives/friends kids not applying to LA-located colleges because of sheltering. In fact, many want to go to LA to get out of the OC (maybe this is the Graphrix-Rebellion effect he speaks of).

<blockquote>

Homeless people? Seriously? They just sit there in my experience. There is very little to be afraid of, and it might give your kids motivation to not end up like that if they actually see them.

</blockquote>
I think that's a culture my kids can do without. And you'll be suprised what scares kids when they are little... my youngest doesn't want to go trick or treating anymore because of something that scared him last Halloween.

<blockquote>

Your kids are in more physical danger, statistically, while riding in your car than walking in most cities. And punk kids are not going to attack a whole family.

</blockquote>
Again... when you become a parent... paranoia outweights statistics. Sure... the chances may be slim something bad will happen... but if the chances are higher in LA than in my stucco box neighborhood... why even take that risk? I've taken my kids to many areas in LA... Promenade, Griffith, LA Zoo... and when they are a bit older... probably the museums. But if an area is dangerous, I'm not going to go there for the sake of culture.

<blockquote>

Graph and I have recently been trying to remedy the fact that I'm a grown woman who had never been to any LA museums, Griffith Park, the Hollywood Bowl, K-town, Little Tokyo or the Sunset Strip.</blockquote>
And maybe that's also a source of his rant. But I have to be fair and present the side of people with families who see no real benefit in going to LA on a regular basis.

I mean... I think EVERYONE should go to Europe once in their life. But there are many reasons why people can't or won't... I'm not going to "kick someone in the head" for that.

Street smart can not be taught and many sheltered kids with book smart will not be able to function in a real world outside of the suburb. Street smart can only be learned through life experiences. Soon or later you have to let your kids go and many kids from the "burb" are not ready to face the real world away from home. This is one of the biggest reason for the large Asian student body at UCI.

[quote author="bkshopr" date=1240886309]Street smart can not be taught and many sheltered kids with book smart will not be able to function in a real world outside of the suburb. Street smart can only be learned through life experiences. Soon or later you have to let your kids go and many kids from the "burb" are not ready to face the real world away from home. This is one of the biggest reason for the large Asian student body at UCI.</blockquote>
So where do we visit in LA so that my kids can pick up this unteachable "street smart"?

I would rather have the real world function more like the suburb... it's why people move to suburbs.

How about the best of both worlds... let's just bring more "culture" behind the Orange Curtain? Oh wait... some places are already like that (which we also avoid).

Back