Before / After School Programs in Irvine

ipoplaya_IHB

Anyone have any feedback, recommendations, etc? The elementary school for our neighborhood has a Rainbow Rising on campus. Was curious if anyone used off-campus after school care programs such as Tutor Time, Kindercare, or the like...

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1232501772]Are you looking for a specific kind of activity or for one that will transport your child from school?</blockquote>

Not specific kind of activity, more of a general after school care program like they have on campuse at the schools. They'd have to pick him up from school I guess... Kindercare indicates on their web site that some locations do transport. Just not sure what similar programs are out there.

I know the YMCA offers before & after school care. But they only do pick-up from select locations - try the locater and see if your school is one of them. <a href="http://www.ymcaoc.org/child_care/index.php">Here is the site.</a> Sorry, I don't have more info. Maybe one of the other parents will chime in. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

For working parents like us, afterschool programs - especially for KGer, is a major issue. KG only 200 mins, and stops at 1120am. What I am suppose to do with them for the rest of the afternoon ? I have visited several on campus ones, and seems like mainly daycare. The places is also very small. If I still have to hire a nanny, I might as well just send them to private KG which is not too much more expensive on a net basis.

My older one will be ready for KG this year, but I am inclining to keep him in the private KG if I can't resolve the after school issue.

What are your thoughts for the on campus (CDC, etc) after school programs?

Hmmm. I'm noticing a pattern here. Me thinks I should start a program called "Aunt SoCal's After-School Round-Up" and collect money from all of you!

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1232502660]Hmmm. I'm noticing a pattern here. Me thinks I should start a program called "Aunt SoCal's After-School Round-Up" and collect money from all of you!</blockquote>

If you'd help with homework and provide a safe, secure, and enjoyable after-school experience, I'd gladly pony up.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1232502738][quote author="SoCal78" date=1232502660]Hmmm. I'm noticing a pattern here. Me thinks I should start a program called "Aunt SoCal's After-School Round-Up" and collect money from all of you!</blockquote>

If you'd help with homework and provide a safe, secure, and enjoyable after-school experience, I'd gladly pony up.</blockquote>

Sign me up too! Now you have two clients already.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1232502415]For working parents like us, afterschool programs - especially for KGer, is a major issue. KG only 200 mins, and stops at 1120am. What I am suppose to do with them for the rest of the afternoon ? I have visited several on campus ones, and seems like mainly daycare. The places is also very small. If I still have to hire a nanny, I might as well just send them to private KG which is not too much more expensive on a net basis.

My older one will be ready for KG this year, but I am inclining to keep him in the private KG if I can't resolve the after school issue.

What are your thoughts for the on campus (CDC, etc) after school programs?</blockquote>

Same struggle here 123. We have accredited kindergarten at our preschool (Jenny Hart) but some of the kids coming out of that program recently have had to repeat K once they got to IUSD. I've had this same conversation with parents at a couple of birthday parties. It's evidently just not a great substitute for IUSD kindergarten. While horribly convenient for us, if it doesn't do the job or doesn't do the job well, we'd rather bite the bullet and get our son in IUSD K and find an after school program that is decent.

The only feedback I have heard re: on campus programs is about Creekers Club at Stone Creek Elem. Supposedly that is a great program. I don't know anyone that has put their child into a CDC or Rainbow Rising.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1232503364]Ipop: I thought I read in another thread that you have a nanny?</blockquote>

I do, for now, but she needs full-time employment and with one child starting K and the other starting preschool, we won't be able to keep her.

My daughter is in a CDC program at a TUSD school and I would give this a thumbs up. It's convenient before/after school care, provide breakfast, they help out with homework, etc.

I heard the same things about kids having to repeat Kindergarten when they went to a private pre-school. We have one child at elementary school and other in pre-school and while this makes the pick up/drop off process a bit more challenging I believe this is worth it in the long run.

IPO, "repeating K at IUSD" is probably due to their age cut off ( CA law), not because IUSD doens't recoganize the private KG. CA Law prevent you going to grade one if you don't pass the age test. They don't bend the rule. I even talked to the IUSD super about this last year. You might want to double check.

From my research, places like Northwood Monterssor KG does a lot better job then IUSD from amount of learning, requirements, work. It is a 9 to 3 program vs. just 200 mins.

I will put my kids in any of the irvine KG without any hesitation if the school timing works for my family.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1232503877][quote author="SoCal78" date=1232503364]Ipop: I thought I read in another thread that you have a nanny?</blockquote>

I do, for now, but she needs full-time employment and with one child starting K and the other starting preschool, we won't be able to keep her.</blockquote>

Are you in TUSD or IUSD?

If you are in IUSD, check out this <a href="http://www.irvinechildrensfund.com/iccp">Irvine Child Care Project</a>. It has a list of all the on-campus care sites open 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday including holidays and summers.

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1232501667][quote author="tmare" date=1232491502]

Good to lose the nanny cost, I'm sure you're happy about that! Unfortunately, we are both teachers so we have to leave the house at 7:00 am, so the nanny will probably stay until the littlest one is in 1st grade. Not quite sure how they are going to GET to school at that time yet but we'll worry about that later. The Kindergarten we have chosen goes until 1:10 with an after school program until 3:00 at a nominal cost so we could pick him up but I'm not sure about the long day for a 5 year old. Our 3 year old will be in preschool until 12:00, so the nanny will become basically a housekeeper and a shuttle service for a few years. I swear we will have paid for more than 1 four year college tuition by the time we're done with the nanny.</blockquote>

Fortunately with our schedules, I can take care of the boys in the morning and get them to preschool/daycare and my wife can pick them up after school. Tough to both be teachers with early days... Nice to have all that time off with the family though!

I just calculated and we spend $31.5K per year, on an after-tax basis, for daycare currently. That's around $50K in salary or so gone to care providers. Next year's reduction of $1145 per month in spend on daycare is equivalent to around $350K in additional mortgage and property taxes on an after-tax basis at current rates. Amazing...</blockquote>

[quote author="ipoplaya" date=1232503877][quote author="SoCal78" date=1232503364]Ipop: I thought I read in another thread that you have a nanny?</blockquote>

I do, for now, but she needs full-time employment and with one child starting K and the other starting preschool, we won't be able to keep her.</blockquote>

[quote author="irvine_home_owner" date=1232504430]Hey... how did MLK turn into childcare costs?

But we're in the same boat. Our oldest is actually in K but my wife wanted to keep her in the same school with the youngest so we're still paying for both. I keep telling her the reason we live in Irvine is because the public schools are supposed to be good... so we don't have to pay for private school. So this fall I want to put her in an IUSD 1st grade but she's reluctant... GAH!

BTW: Where do you guys get your nannies at? We used to have one for a few years but she didn't drive. We're thinking a part-time afternoon one might be better than after school daycare.</blockquote>

I am in the same boat as IPO. My older one is in pre-K, and my young one just started preschool - combined tuition of more than $2000 a month. We can't afford to keep our full time nanny anymore. Starting next month, she will only work 10 to 12 hours a week. She will only do school pickup, feed them dinner, shower them, do kids landuray. We had the same nanny for a long time, and found her through church.

[quote author="SoCal78" date=1232504735]$2,000 / mo!!! Gulp!</blockquote>

Ya, $2000 for tuition, and $2000 for nanny...$4000 a month total just on kids tuition and day care.

[quote author="irvine123" date=1232504186]IPO, "repeating K at IUSD" is probably due to their age cut off ( CA law), not because IUSD doens't recoganize the private KG. CA Law prevent you going to grade one if you don't pass the age test. They don't bend the rule. I even talked to the IUSD super about this last year. You might want to double check.

From my research, places like Northwood Monterssor KG does a lot better job then IUSD from amount of learning, requirements, work. It is a 9 to 3 program vs. just 200 mins.

I will put my kids in any of the irvine KG without any hesitation if the school timing works for my family.</blockquote>

The two instances I heard about re: repeating K were about supposedly about behind academically. At least one wasn't an age issue for sure...

Happy MLK Day!!!

Hah... revenge is so awesome on the Internet.

Anyways... my question is more towards the nanny angle. Does anyone know where to get a good part-time one? I'm thinking an afternoon nanny for both my kids might be better than after-school daycare (and I can cut my youngest's pre-school to half-day).

After the last few years in pre-school... it might be better for my brood to get some more quiet time rather than running around with other kids since they've done that most of the day already.

Back