Beer Thread!

Irvinian_IHB

I'm a Newcastle guy and if there's no Newcastle then Stella would be my second choice. To be honest I pretty much enjoy all beers but I'm drinking domestic more often than I would like to nowadays due to the recession. =(

Although I am more of a wine drinker, my husband is a beer expert. Years ago when we bought our house, I decided that I was sick and tired of beer bottles (especially cleaning them up after poker nights), so I bought my husband a Viking Kegerator for his birthday. Since then, we have tried so many different beers, we had to buy three different taps. Some favorites:

Smithwick's (pronounced smiticks): not as dark as it looks, rivals Guinness in Ireland and also made by Guinness (only recently became available in the states), our favorite on our honeymoon in Ireland.

Pyramid Hefeweizen: We have a few orange trees out back, great with a few slices.

On tap right now and delicious: Blue Moon Belgian White

I guess it depends if you are into dark or light beers, but these are great if you don't like darks very much.

[quote author="tmare" date=1232702211] so I bought my husband a Viking Kegerator for his birthday </blockquote>

Oh tmare! Why couldn't you have posted this two weeks ago BEFORE my birthday?? I'm sure I could have found a way to leave this thread open for my wife to read.

[quote author="CK" date=1232717532][quote author="tmare" date=1232702211] so I bought my husband a Viking Kegerator for his birthday </blockquote>

Oh tmare! Why couldn't you have posted this two weeks ago BEFORE my birthday?? I'm sure I could have found a way to leave this thread open for my wife to read.</blockquote>

Yeah, I got a lot of "lucky guy" comments from the salespeople that day.

I'm enjoying an Anderson Valley Hop Ottin' IPA right now and will be heading down to the Stone Brewery this weekend for their "Winter Storm". There will be much beer consumed and fortunately someone else is driving!

Mmmmmmm Beeeer!

Current Favs:

Racer 5 IPA by Bear Republic

Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball (Seasonal winter brew...out now Jan-March)

Anything from Stone Brewing (Pale Ale, IPA, Arrogent Bastard!)

Pacifico (For everyday drinking)

tmare....when's the next PARTY?!?!

Off the top of my head, these are some of the best beers I?ve ever had:

Westveleteren 12 ? This is the finest beer ever made. Period. Made by Trappist monks.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout ? Best beer from Stone, only available seasonally.

Ayinger Celebrator ? This is the definitive doppelbock.

Alesmith Speedway Stout ? Like the best hot chocolate you?ve ever had, with 12% alc (yes kids, that's 24 proof)

Stuff I drink every day (available at Trader Joes and BevMo):

Chimay Blue

Duvel

Lindeman?s Framboise

Spaten Optimator

Spaten Franziskaner

Olde English 800 HG (ok, TJ and BevMo doesn't carry this)

[quote author="High Gravity" date=1232759038]Off the top of my head, these are some of the best beers I?ve ever had:

Westveleteren 12 ? This is the finest beer ever made. Period. Made by Trappist monks.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout ? Best beer from Stone, only available seasonally.

Ayinger Celebrator ? This is the definitive doppelbock.

Alesmith Speedway Stout ? Like the best hot chocolate you?ve ever had, with 12% alc (yes kids, that's 24 proof)

Stuff I drink every day (available at Trader Joes and BevMo):

Chimay Blue

Duvel

Lindeman?s Framboise

Spaten Optimator

Spaten Franziskaner

<span style="font-size: 14px;">Olde English 800 HG</span> (ok, TJ and BevMo doesn't carry this)</blockquote>

awesome....

[quote author="GeorgeO" date=1232756538]Mmmmmmm Beeeer!

Current Favs:

Racer 5 IPA by Bear Republic

Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball (Seasonal winter brew...out now Jan-March)

Anything from Stone Brewing (Pale Ale, IPA, Arrogent Bastard!)

Pacifico (For everyday drinking)

tmare....when's the next PARTY?!?!</blockquote>

There's a party most of the time over here, the only problem is that it usually involves about 5 kids under 5 years old, not the type of party a typical IHB'er wants to be a part of. Anyway, at least we still manage the every two week or so poker game. Now if the hubby's damn friends would leave a few bucks near the keg!

Pilsner Urquell

Lagunitas Lager

Spaten

Stella

It's 9:15am on a Friday and I'm already thinking about beer. That can't be a good sign...

High Gravity - Recognize my icon? I went to Belgium in October and picked up three cases of the 12 from the abbey.

Top five beers:

Westvleteren 12 or 8

Pliny the Younger ? Russian River

Pliny the Elder ? Russian River

Abyss ? Deschutes

90 Minute IPA ? Dogfish Head

Lately, I?ve been getting into sours.

Totally dig the Hop Ottin too. Rutabegorz sells it for like $3 a bottle.

Where do you all drink? I highly recommend Hollingshead in Orange. Tiny hole in the wall place with the best beer in OC.

Also ? there is a new brewery started last year in OC called the Bruery that is getting great reviews (Belgian styles). Check it out, you can pick some up at most Bevmos.

[quote author="three sheets" date=1235805890]High Gravity - Recognize my icon? I went to Belgium in October and picked up three cases of the 12 from the abbey.

Top five beers:

Westvleteren 12 or 8

Abyss ? Deschutes

Where do you all drink? I highly recommend Hollingshead in Orange. Tiny hole in the wall place with the best beer in OC.

Also ? there is a new brewery started last year in OC called the Bruery that is getting great reviews (Belgian styles). Check it out, you can pick some up at most Bevmos.</blockquote>

I second the Bruery (actually mentioned it last year <strong><a href="http://www.irvinehousingblog.com/forums/viewthread/487/P75/#57158">here</a></strong>) styles.

Trade Winds White is solid, and they have a good Tripel, too.

They've opened a tasting room on Fridays and Saturdays.

Admins - can you merge this thread with the "less emphatic" thread of the same name?

[quote author="three sheets" date=1235805890]High Gravity - Recognize my icon? I went to Belgium in October and picked up three cases of the 12 from the abbey.

Top five beers:

Westvleteren 12 or 8

Abyss ? Deschutes

Also ? there is a new brewery started last year in OC called the Bruery that is getting great reviews (Belgian styles). Check it out, you can pick some up at most Bevmos.</blockquote>

Yes, I recognized your icon. I've never been to Belgium but it is on my list of places to visit. You are lucky to have visited the sacred abbey. I like sour beer too: Lambic beer, the original "probiotic."

Back