Beacon Park Ellwood owners check and recheck your home!!!!!

Sorry to hear that. Can't imagine the headache and inconvenience. 

Keep us updated.

iacrenter said:
Don't most builders recycle the same groups of subcontractors? The same guy who screwed up that AC pipe probably works on The New Home Company and Irvine Pacific homes as well.

Not exactly, there are alot of constructions sub contractor out there. It is the job of the Project Manager job to over see the quality of the build. Also the competitive bids goes out to all of the sub contractors. Obviously, someone has to select and choose who to win the contract. Some builders have a better decisions in whose they choose to win. Others, pure profit margin and forfeit qualities. So not all subcontracts are the same.

I had a similar incidence with a CalPac home (this was Irvine Pacific before they become a paper GC and subbed to New Home). We had some faulty stucco that leaked during a rain. It lead to black mold in the pantry in the kitchen. We didn't realize it until the drywall on the bottom became black. I wrote a letter to them and asked for compensation for this issue. I detailed all my expenses, wasted time and health concerns for the family. I asked for $15,000 and complete remediation and they immediately paid. We were out of the house for 3-4 months and I told them we had to stay in a hotel. In actually we stayed with family but it was inconvenient. They paid for the mortgage interest, estimated hotel bill, and wasted time at $50/hr (part of the $15k). Since they paid quickly I could/should have asked for more but I thought it was fair. I was concerned about future value and having to disclose it but other issues came up in life and we had to sell the home for a loss so it didn't really matter in the long run. Just to give you an idea of settlement value. Sounds like you are much more upset and the customer service is poor so lawyering up might be a better option. CalPac had great customer service so my experience seems easier. Good companies are not judged by their mistakes but rather the way they respond to those mistakes

Which builders have good/bad reputations regarding their customer service?  I hear that Irvine Pacific and Standard Pacific are pretty good and that KB and Richmond American are very poor. 

paydawg said:
Which builders have good/bad reputations regarding their customer service?  I hear that Irvine Pacific and Standard Pacific are pretty good and that KB and Richmond American are very poor.

I have been very satisfied so far with Taylor Morrison post close customer service.
I think construction quality is poor compared to how expensive the houses are, but I think that's probably true for most if not all new tract homes.

paydawg said:

We are in a Brookfield Home now and they have great customer service and better quality than Irvine Pacific. I think Irvine Pacific has good customer service but quality is lower in our experience (bought 3 homes from them in the past). Quality is not bad with Irvine pacific but better with Brookfield

Thanks for all the comment and suggestions.

here are some updates:

Richmond American(RA) sent a guy to do the remediation work in my house, and had the fan blowing to the wall opening for 2 days.
The water leaked through the ceiling on the 1st floor when i first noticed the leak. I demanded to open up the impacted ceiling to inspect mold damage, and they were very reluctant to do so even the remediation guy tested the moisture level in the ceiling and it is positively wet. i argued with them when i clearly saw some wet/dark areas on the plywood between floors.

RA customer service offered to conduct a whole house mold air test initially, but now told me that they will no long offer that.

Up till this moment, i am very dissatisfied with the Customer Service RA offered, and through out every meeting, they kept telling me it is a very minor leak and they see this kind of damage everyday etc...

I am in contact with lawyer to seek help to resolve this issue. any recommendation would be really helpful.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.07.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-21 at 11.07.49 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_4930.jpg
    IMG_4930.jpg
    981.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_4925.jpg
    IMG_4925.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 283
oceanmonkey said:

here are some updates:

Richmond American(RA) sent a guy to do the remediation work in my house, and had the fan blowing to the wall opening for 2 days.
The water leaked through the ceiling on the 1st floor when i first noticed the leak. I demanded to open up the impacted ceiling to inspect mold damage, and they were very reluctant to do so even the remediation guy tested the moisture level in the ceiling and it is positively wet. i argued with them when i clearly saw some wet/dark areas on the plywood between floors.

RA customer service offered to conduct a whole house mold air test initially, but now told me that they will no long offer that.

Up till this moment, i am very dissatisfied with the Customer Service RA offered, and through out every meeting, they kept telling me it is a very minor leak and they see this kind of damage everyday etc...

I am in contact with lawyer to seek help to resolve this issue. any recommendation would be really helpful.

well keep pushing.  they usually have you sign something to work with them on first round of remediation.  Seems like they aren't holding up to their end of the bargain so it's a good time to lawyer up and get compensation for everything. 

oceanmonkey said:

here are some updates:

nm

oceanmonkey said:
they kept telling me it is a very minor leak and they see this kind of damage everyday etc...
I'd be wary of buying from a builder that sees this kind of damage every day.

I myself would push for more than just fixing it.

Your home insurance will most likely know that you've had a history of mold (which they exclude anyway but some might refuse to insure you down the road).

You'll have to disclose you've had an issue when you sell even if it's fully remediated.

Imo, they should have to do more than just pay to fix it since you're the one dealing with the property down the road.

anyone is the expert on mold air test?
builder did a mold air test in the mold/water impacted master bedroom with the air scrubber on for more than 12 hrs.
very suspicious to me since the air scrubber is used to filter and clean the air, and it doesn't make any sense to test the filtered and cleaned air for mold, does it?

oceanmonkey said:
builder did a mold air test in the mold/water impacted master bedroom with the air scrubber on for more than 12 hrs.
very suspicious to me since the air scrubber is used to filter and clean the air, and it doesn't make any sense to test the filtered and cleaned air for mold, does it?

If you get an independent test, I highly recommend these guys:https://www.yelp.com/biz/world-restoration-inc-orange

They are really amazing and professional.  The owner is on the job most of the time and he's a perfectionist.

aquabliss said:
oceanmonkey said:

If you get an independent test, I highly recommend these guys:https://www.yelp.com/biz/world-restoration-inc-orange

They are really amazing and professional.  The owner is on the job most of the time and he's a perfectionist.

thanks for the recommendation.

oceanmonkey said:

I would get mold testing from a company that ONLY does testing.  There are many companies that will do both testing and mold remediation.  Stick with just the testing.

As a superintendent here in the city I can tell you that should NOT have happened. That is your primary condensation line from the unit in the attic. Being that it is outright BROKEN means that super is not walking his homes very much or at all. Now having said that, it only takes a slight misfit of a plumbing junction, or perhaps a nail that grazes a copper line ( not much copper in the city anymore ) to cause a very small drip. You may not notice the drip for month or even a year. Of course if it drip in a dark space, you will get mold. From what I can see in those pictures, the mold doesn't look that bad. Cut out the effected drywall and wood, bleach the area, run a dehumidifier in there for 24 hours and you will be fine. One thing you can take into consideration is not buying into publicly held companies. They have numbers to meet,and they push their field guys and sub contractors to the limit of each quarter or year end. The privately held builders, GENERALLY, will deliver a better product. BUT, leaks can happen in custom home on Pelican Point, it does not indict the builder as a whole on its own. 

Back