Beacon Park Ellwood owners check and recheck your home!!!!!

oceanmonkey

I waited a long time till i decided to share my experience with the community here.
Here you go Richmond American, Great job building the worst homes in irvine!!!

AC unit pipe leak since the home closing in March! i think should rename Ellwood to Ellwoodmold?

Attachments

• IMG_4917.jpg
    IMG_4917.jpg
    526.8 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_4921.jpg
    IMG_4921.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 536
jmoney74 said:
man that sucks.

What is the builder going to do for you?

i can't believe i let my young daughter sleep in this condition for months.
the moment i saw the mold, i moved my family out of the home. i am still in the hotel today.
the funny thing is the builder Richmond American wants me to comeback and sleep in the same room after few hours of clean up.
I think Richmond American is not only incompetent in building homes but also inhumane to their customers! I very much regret buying this home.

This is really Scary! What a nightmare. 

Now, I will be paranoid to check for any leaks in the new home.

I think RA had just way too many pipeline of homes to build and rushed through it without proper inspections and QA.  Lafayette and Ellwood homes sold like hot cakes and they had to really Rush to get the homes built.

oceanmonkey said:
jmoney74 said:
man that sucks.

What is the builder going to do for you?

i can't believe i let my young daughter sleep in this condition for months.
the moment i saw the mold, i moved my family out of the home. i am still in the hotel today.
the funny thing is the builder Richmond American wants me to comeback and sleep in the same room after few hours of clean up.
I think Richmond American is not only incompetent in building homes but also inhumane to their customers! I very much regret buying this home.

Maybe you should picket at the grand opening of Auburn.  That will get RA's attention.

What does IHS have to say about this?

This doesn't bode well for the units that have flat roofs. Flat roofs require impeccable workmanship to be waterproof so you don't want the B team to be working on such a project.

Did you somehow gorilla-turn that stud next to the pipe, or was it like that when you opened up the drywall??

thats just terrible workmanship.  they need to reimburse you for your stay at hotel and also 3-4 months worth of mortgage payments, and possible future medical expenses since there was black mold. Possibly more. 

Possibly lawyer up too. Don't sign anything that takes them off the hook later.

oceanmonkey said:
daedalus said:
Did you somehow gorilla-turn that stud next to the pipe, or was it like that when you opened up the drywall??

It is like that when RA opened up my bedroom dry wall.
So let's see...the white PVC is the condensation line, which is plumbed to the drain/vent?  It is supposed to pass through the twisted 2x4...which twisted after routing, thus breaking it?  Is the 2x4 not anchored to the floor in some way?  The PVC looks to be too close to the edge of the stud, and if that's a load bearing wall it looks to me like they've removed more than 40% of the width of the stud with the 2 holes side by side like that.

I would get a lawyer involve. This is not a situation where you do a quick fix and be done. The water leakage and mold may also spread to other part of house behind walls that can't be seen. This is really upsetting, since some of us here are new homeowner. Certainly, nothing is perfect, but from reading the consumer complaint threads, these types of issues have happened in the past many times AND in different part of the country under the same company.

I will stay clear of any Richmond for future home consideration for sure. Just because the architecture design well, does not meant the product is well put together. QA and checks has to be in place at each of the construction stages to ensure a sounds home. There are just too  many components that goes into making a house. If they missed the obvious I can't imagine what goes on where we cant see.

They need not only pay for your cost of relocation to hotel, they need to pay for all of the associated cost for pain and suffering along the way. Certainly, most home builders these days are enjoying a nice return for a good product. If a product is this bad, they need to be reprimanded accordingly. William Lyons have been one of the  best builder at taking care of the customer and I speak from experience. It is not about how fast they selling a house, WL is a great builder and they do care about their customers, product and reputation. So in the future if you ever buy a new construction again, put them on your short list.

I was thinking about trading up for an Auburn home but I think this is the 3rd strike for RA and I'm no longer interested in their crap workmanship at that price.

I had a co-worker have issues with an RA home / mold / in PP, then I saw multiple other complaints on the PP HOA website, and now this.

I also had an issue with my PP home and William Lyon customer service rep was amazing, it was like a well oiled machine helping me and making sure I was comfortable every step of the way.  They were a lot better than I was expecting, my wife and I were very impressed.

Don't most builders recycle the same groups of subcontractors? The same guy who screwed up that AC pipe probably works on The New Home Company and Irvine Pacific homes as well.

iacrenter said:
Don't most builders recycle the same groups of subcontractors? The same guy who screwed up that AC pipe probably works on The New Home Company and Irvine Pacific homes as well.
I was wondering about this too.

I think if anyone Googles any of these homebuilders, they will find similar issues.

The difference is how the builder remediates this with the homeowner.

I think if you have black mold it can spread to other areas thru the A/C system.

The builder should pay for mold remediation.

Sadly, you'll have to disclose you've had black mold in the past (with remediation of course) when you sell your house.

If I were buying a resale with that disclosure even if there was remediation I would pass.

If it were me................ I'd push to have the builder buy back the house for a profit.

USCTrojanCPA said:
What about city inspectors missing things like this?  I'd pull the city into the lawsuit too.
The inspector checks before the walls were closed up.  The leak probably happened after the walls were closed up so it could not have been detected in an inspection. Slow seeping leaks like this are the most insidious because they are usually invisible until the damage (rot and mold) is already severe. A big leak is better because it would be immediately obvious and can be fixed before rot or mold sets in.

The crane works in mysterious ways.

Back