Barcelona at Los Olivos Village

Burn That Belly said:
bones said:
aquabliss said:
They didn't specifically say that they hadn't sold any homes, I just looked at the board (under glass) and didn't see any sold buttons, that in combination with the fact that the sales rep (was the older white lady) said that they had an added incentive, and none of the line items on the price list said sold so I put 2 and 2 together...

Could have sold the ones in P1 and not put anything on the board or crossed off on the price list...

They prob took holds/deposits on the homes but didn?t sign contract and take the big check yet.

Isn't the bank/lender supposed to verify the assets (full cash price) or loan, before they are allowed to come in to put down the deposit and sign the contract. Otherwise, what's to stop someone from putting down a deposit and then at closing, Barcelona finds out the guy had no money in the bank?

The bank verification process could take days, even weeks, and Barcelona just opened.

Nah man, the builder's lender vets buyers in a few days a most. They opened up the pre-qual window like a month a go and those VIP qualified buyers were invited to come out to take a lot at the homes last Wednesday before the grand opening.  They better sell most of the phase 1 homes in short order or it could spell bad news on the momentum front. We'll know soon enough.

Burn That Belly said:
bones said:
aquabliss said:
They didn't specifically say that they hadn't sold any homes, I just looked at the board (under glass) and didn't see any sold buttons, that in combination with the fact that the sales rep (was the older white lady) said that they had an added incentive, and none of the line items on the price list said sold so I put 2 and 2 together...

Could have sold the ones in P1 and not put anything on the board or crossed off on the price list...

They prob took holds/deposits on the homes but didn?t sign contract and take the big check yet.

Isn't the bank/lender supposed to verify the assets (full cash price) or loan, before they are allowed to come in to put down the deposit and sign the contract. Otherwise, what's to stop someone from putting down a deposit and then at closing, Barcelona finds out the guy had no money in the bank?

The bank verification process could take days, even weeks, and Barcelona just opened. 

I?m confused. Haven?t you purchased two new homes?  The ROI process is pretty much the same everywhere.

$1.4m and no driveway?

Didn't La Vita at least have a driveway?

Man, TIC has jumped the anteater.

I remember the 2010 New Home Collection homes that had no driveway but they were in the $700ks (or lower?).

The problem is, people will still buy... resale is looking better and better.

Ask any potential move up buyers that, right now, they will sale their house and buy one of these? The answer I get from people that I asked is NOPE, HECK NO, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND.....End story.

Compressed-Village said:
Ask any potential move up buyers that, right now, they will sale their house and buy one of these? The answer I get from people that I asked is NOPE, HECK NO, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND.....End story.

Agreed. But with building only a few dozen homes, IP doesn't need a lot of suckers to sign the dotted line.

Mety said:
Burn That Belly said:
ochawk said:
What will be the expected price range?  Will they really may start from $1.2M+?

Will it be a good buy for $1.2M+ (2300+ sqft)? Especially similar houses in Orchid hills will be little cheaper & Orchid hills  is a guard gated community.

Please share your thoughts.

Everything is a good buy in Irvine. And it's Orchard Hills. Not Orchid Hills. Just say OH. Just make sure to bring your wallet.

They will start selling from 1.2M+ and then there will be a crash then the price will drop to 700K.

So they are selling $1.4m. Then in case of market crash, it will be around $850k*

*For entertainment purposes only.

Burn That Belly said:
Mety said:
Mety said:
Burn That Belly said:
ochawk said:

Will it be a good buy for $1.2M+ (2300+ sqft)? Especially similar houses in Orchid hills will be little cheaper & Orchid hills  is a guard gated community.

Everything is a good buy in Irvine. And it's Orchard Hills. Not Orchid Hills. Just say OH. Just make sure to bring your wallet.

They will start selling from 1.2M+ and then there will be a crash then the price will drop to 700K.

So they are selling $1.4m. Then in case of market crash, it will be around $850k*

The 85C bakery -and- the hello kitty cafe at Spectrum will help drive sales. FCBs might not sell homes at a loss so they'll ride out the high tide till the waves calm down, however long it may take. After all, RE always performs in the long, long run, as long as one keeps their expenses low (MR/HOA). And besides, the kids have to attend high school, then UCI, etc. that's more than 8 years worth of time to ride out any downturn.

Yes, if you keep the house, it will appreciate long run.
Isn't that how boomers are sitting on that RE money?

Mety said:
Burn That Belly said:
Mety said:
Mety said:
Burn That Belly said:
ochawk said:

The 85C bakery -and- the hello kitty cafe at Spectrum will help drive sales. FCBs might not sell homes at a loss so they'll ride out the high tide till the waves calm down, however long it may take. After all, RE always performs in the long, long run, as long as one keeps their expenses low (MR/HOA). And besides, the kids have to attend high school, then UCI, etc. that's more than 8 years worth of time to ride out any downturn.

Yes, if you keep the house, it will appreciate long run.
Isn't that how boomers are sitting on that RE money?
We had a 30 year run of declining interest rates. Who is to say that same trend emerges if we go through an opposite situation (an extended run of increasing interest rates).  Not saying that will be what happens but I wouldn't be surprised if you look over a 20 year window and see a pretty extended run of higher interest rates (that said I can't fathom a scenario that rates would be as high as they were during parts of the 80's...but than again, I don't think if you went back 10-15 years people would have ever fathomed scenarios with rates as low as they are now).

The difference is in a declining rate environment, existing owners and new owners can both benefit from lower rates (existing owners refi, etc). In rising rate scenario, you do impact supply since people would have to have more incentive to move out from existing mortgages (to extent you had material variances in rates).  On the flip side from a demand perspective, have to wonder what demand is without pricing adjusting (to some extent) for rising rates) and the increased costs for individuals to own a home. 

All that said, while the short-end of the curve has ramped up a lot...the longer ends of the curve haven't moved that much and we are potentially getting closer to an inverted yield curve (which is essentially the surest indicator of a pending recession you can get).  Last 7 US recession were preceded with an inverted yield curve (typically in that 6-12 month window).  Globally we've already seen yield curves invert.

Of course I'm not an economist and monetary policy post-great recession has differed from past recoveries so it could very well be flatter to inverted yield curves don't spell the impending recession that it previously did. 

I'm not going to argue one way or the other, but I will continue to maintain my stance that for a personal resident you need to first and foremost enjoy the house and obviously be able to cover the costs, including within various stress scenarios (i.e., temporary loss of job...reduction in income, etc).  You obviously like some form of appreciation because you don't want to be caught off-guard by a liquidity situation (where you aren't able to relocate because you are under-water and be a forced-seller, etc), that said, to me you want to invest your actual wealth in more liquid assets than an asset that will be leveraged for your own personal use (big believer in rental properties combined with equity investments, etc).

Obviously appreciation of personal residence is nice, but I still go back to my view that for the general OC economy we need to have affordable housing.  I do not believe the appreciation we have seen over the past few years is actually good for the overall health of our local economy. 

Too much appreciation in  real estate leads to lower consumption and demands elsewhere that not ties directly housing. So now people, don?t pinch pennies and try to get into an unaffordable pad. Life is more than a zip code.

The thing to me is I don't think land costs rose that much in the last 5-10 years... especially in the case where TIC owns the land.

It doesn't cost that much more to build the homes either... so these high prices are basically greed and I agree with bullsback that we need be careful with the pricing of new homes... even 5P has gotten caught up in it (although they probably have much higher costs than TIC).

irvinehomeowner said:
The thing to me is I don't think land costs rose that much in the last 5-10 years... especially in the case where TIC owns the land.

It doesn't cost that much more to build the homes either... so these high prices are basically greed and I agree with bullsback that we need be careful with the pricing of new homes... even 5P has gotten caught up in it (although they probably have much higher costs than TIC).

Thanks to Trump, lumbers cost has increased dramatically. The tariffs placed on lumbers import from Canada Cost builders 40 percent more, not 25. And he got the hombres running scare with hard labor shortage. It?s all add up and most is GREED.

irvinehomeowner said:

Since TIC owns the land, they will push pricing to the limit with little regard to depressing sales volume. Look at what happened to OH and PS development during the great RE crash--they just put everything on hold or let things stagnate for years.

Went to go check these out at lunch today.  The homes are nice - I like how they tried to be all trendy with the black trim, gold fixtures and pink everything in the plan 2 but (not to sound all IHO) man, this is what you get now for $1.5m?? 

The location is ok. Yes, you are close to that fukada shopping center and theoretically WF and the spectrum but not sure about the practicality of it.  That?s a rough stretch of road to navigate with (young) kids. 

Oh and those parking garages will service the yet to be built apartments surrounding it.

Who else is zoned for the new elementary school?  Wonder how transient it will be if it?s predominantly los Olivios apartment kids.

At basically $600/sf for zero lot line properties in a non-elevated location, it will be interesting to see what impact Barcelona has (if any) on the resale values in the surrounding communities like QH and LA.  I don't think the supposed "walk-ability" factor at Barcelona really supports any premium.  If anything, I think buyers are going to prefer to be up on the hill above this project at LA.  But then again, it's possible that the new home smell cancels out all of the other attributes of the surrounding communities.

OC-Broker said:
At basically $600/sf for zero lot line properties in a non-elevated location, it will be interesting to see what impact Barcelona has (if any) on the resale values in the surrounding communities like QH and LA.  I don't think the supposed "walk-ability" factor at Barcelona really supports any premium.  If anything, I think buyers are going to prefer to be up on the hill above this project at LA.  But then again, it's possible that the new home smell cancels out all of the other attributes of the surrounding communities.

New house smell basically means another $150,000 to get the house livable.

Back