Baker Ranch in Lake Forest / Foothill Ranch

irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:
regardless of those issues, baker ranch seems pretty hot now. the attached courts home is selling at $929k. that's like delano price in eastwood. that particular one might be the model home, but if you look up, there aren't much under $1m range anymore. that with no mello roos is a big winning factor.

Attached court home for $929k in Baker Ranch is not "a big winning factor".

Honestly, just being outside of Irvine is "a big winning factor".

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:
regardless of those issues, baker ranch seems pretty hot now. the attached courts home is selling at $929k. that's like delano price in eastwood. that particular one might be the model home, but if you look up, there aren't much under $1m range anymore. that with no mello roos is a big winning factor.

What?!? Ok... the bocci ball gloves are off... I challenge you to a bowl-off!!!

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:

Liar Loan, where do you live? I suppose they do have a ....talk on where you live right? Just curious, so I can see your winning strategies and comparison to Irvine.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:

What?!? Ok... the bocci ball gloves are off... I challenge you to a bowl-off!!!

Dude, I love bocci ball!  You're on!  Wait a second, you need a lawn to play that right?  Better come to my place.  :D

irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:

lol good call. i sold my irvine home recently with some good return, but i think it's better to rent now and buy later. of course i'm not buying any attached home with 900k range.

Buying/living in Irvine is obviously not just about home prices.  Schools are a big deal.  Baker's Ranch has no schools nearby and is of course in Saddleback Valley Unified.  Access to Baker's Ranch is also not fun.

Additionally, Irvine has a ton of good minority restaurants and business while Baker's Ranch has not too many.  That is a big deal for me.

Liar Loan said:
Dude, I love bocci ball!  You're on!  Wait a second, you need a lawn to play that right?  Better come to my place.  :D

Hah... you just pulled an eyephone misconception... I actually have lawn space (but you really need dirt).

So you have 90 feet of bocce runway? Eh... too much maintenance... irvinecommuter doesn't like that much outdoor space either. :)

I struggle with Baker Ranch pricing.  Within Lake Forest, you have Lake Forest Keys which is closer to Spectrum than most of Irvine and you get way more for your money than you get in Baker Ranch.  Imagine 5-10 minutes from Spectrum and a lake and boat.  Its mainly older people but that is changing drastically.  We picked up a house in this hood last year and I keep trying to convince my wife to move from WB!

This one just closed and is on the higher side but check out the view:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lake-Forest/21792-Tahoe-Ln-92630/home/4822409

Compressed-Village said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:

Liar Loan, where do you live? I suppose they do have a ....talk on where you live right? Just curious, so I can see your winning strategies and comparison to Irvine.

I don't completely dislike Irvine.  It just lost it's way sometime in the early 2000's with high-density designs that I personally don't like.  The Irvine of the 1990's was a place that I had great admiration for and actually spent a lot of time hanging out in.

I can remember hanging out in the pool area at Turtle Rock with the high school group from South Coast Community Church (now Mariners).  I can remember making out with my girlfriend in the dorms at UCI.  I can remember going to the Metropolis night club and eating at the In n Out on Campus Dr. more times than I can count.  I can remember my band playing live on KUCI several times.  I even played music entertaining the kids at Woodbridge High during lunch time, and University High during graduation week.  It was nice when you could actually drive 55 MPH on Irvine roads legally with very few stop lights to slow you down.  Those days are gone and I personally just don't like the direction they've taken Irvine in.  It seems like the master plan was betrayed at some point.

Liar Loan said:
Compressed-Village said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:

I don't completely dislike Irvine.  It just lost it's way sometime in the early 2000's with high-density designs that I personally don't like.  The Irvine of the 1990's was a place that I had great admiration for and actually spent a lot of time hanging out in.

I can remember hanging out in the pool area at Turtle Rock with the high school group from South Coast Community Church (now Mariners).  I can remember making out with my girlfriend in the dorms at UCI.  I can remember going to the Metropolis night club and eating at the In n Out on Campus Dr. more times than I can count.  I can remember my band playing live on KUCI several times.  I even played music entertaining the kids at Woodbridge High during lunch time, and University High during graduation week.  It was nice when you could actually drive 55 MPH on Irvine roads legally with very few stop lights to slow you down.  Those days are gone and I personally just don't like the direction they've taken Irvine in.  It seems like the master plan was betrayed at some point.

So basically Irvine got crowded?

Liar Loan said:
Compressed-Village said:
Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeowner said:
Zion said:

This has me completely taken back to memory lanes. Yes, the make out at UCI, the metropolis club, house party and all. Even as late as 2008, Sand Cayon Blvd from Portola use to be 1 lane in each direction. I can smell the strawberry farm scent everyday driving to work and going home. Alot less traffic lights that is for sure. Population have exploded since the year 2000 for Irvine. There is a reason(s) for that, don't you think?

I've been traveling for work extensively in the past. All 48 states of the US and international. When I am on the roads beside working and visiting customers sites and location. I tried to find time and get the know the locals including their ways of life, foods, cultures, housings. And some of these International location is high ranking and not third world countries. I comes to realized that I have it PRETTY DAMN, good here in Socal and Irvine. If any other city have the same growth that we currently see here, I can not imagine living through it. Think traffic is bad  here? Try to go 1 miles in Miami during rush hour. Or Atlanta Georgia for that matter. They are too having explosive growth and if I were to compare from the two samples given above, Irvine out rank them all in term of quality of life and in every other category.

The good ol' days were good, but I am looking forward to my investments longevity in the future is here in Irvine.
We were at a party dinner a few weeks ago and a bunch of middle age executives and senior managers friends in our group and I would ask how do you plan to retire? Surprisingly,  all of them said I have to continue to work to pay for my lifestyles. Then I ask, what if those jobs are not there, what would you do or what stream of income can you derive from for you to continue to live the same lifestyles? Some say move to lower cost living area, some say my 401k and other investment hopefully will do well and pay me regularly. I am in my early 50 and have been retiring going 3 years now. Sure I still work, but its a different kind of work. Not for money because my housing investment is working for me now and into the foreseeable future.

Do folks in Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel hate on each other for picking one over the other?  What about Newport Beach v. Laguna Beach?  Or is it just an Irvine/Asian v. the world thing?

Compressed-Village said:
I am in my early 50 and have been retiring going 3 years now. Sure I still work, but its a different kind of work. Not for money because my housing investment is working for me now and into the foreseeable future.

Good for you CV #goals.

Compressed-Village said:
We were at a party dinner a few weeks ago and a bunch of middle age executives and senior managers friends in our group and I would ask how do you plan to retire? Surprisingly,  all of them said I have to continue to work to pay for my lifestyles. Then I ask, what if those jobs are not there, what would you do or what stream of income can you derive from for you to continue to live the same lifestyles? Some say move to lower cost living area, some say my 401k and other investment hopefully will do well and pay me regularly. I am in my early 50 and have been retiring going 3 years now. Sure I still work, but its a different kind of work. Not for money because my housing investment is working for me now and into the foreseeable future.

Congrats!  It's not often you see people retired by 50 out here.  Very admirable, and I hope retirement is everything you hoped it would be :)

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:

Hah... you just pulled an eyephone misconception... I actually have lawn space (but you really need dirt).

So you have 90 feet of bocce runway? Eh... too much maintenance... irvinecommuter doesn't like that much outdoor space either. :)

Funny you mention bocce ball- Baker Ranch?s Promenade Park has a nice full size bocce ball court! 

rkp said:
I struggle with Baker Ranch pricing.  Within Lake Forest, you have Lake Forest Keys which is closer to Spectrum than most of Irvine and you get way more for your money than you get in Baker Ranch.  Imagine 5-10 minutes from Spectrum and a lake and boat.  Its mainly older people but that is changing drastically.  We picked up a house in this hood last year and I keep trying to convince my wife to move from WB!

This one just closed and is on the higher side but check out the view:https://www.redfin.com/CA/Lake-Forest/21792-Tahoe-Ln-92630/home/4822409

Wow, that was a pretty successful flip.  That area is crap though, driving through that community feels so old and dingy.  Woodbridge is probably not much younger but the feeling between the 2 communities is night and day.

Liar Loan said:

I don't remember InNOut and Metropolis night club existing at the same time. I think it was Twoheys during that time. And I forget, was the club before the clothing store or after (I think they were both named Metropolis)?

Bonus points to who knows what the Taco Bell used to be. And I think Chik-Fil-A was multiple things prior too.

Since I'm probably one of the few here that have been in Irvine the longest, I disagree. I think Irvine evolved into what it was master planned to... a large urban community with mixed housing for families, professionals, elders and college students. Combine that with 2 large business areas (IBC and Spectrum), shopping and dining... and you have one of the best (if not *the* best) cities in the OC that has almost every other one beat on location, safety and education. Close to major freeways, short drive to the beach or the snow, between LA and San Diego... next to Disneyland, not too far from Vegas... and weather that's not too inland hot or too beach-foggy.

Liar Loan probably won't fess up to where he lives maybe due to anonymity and the fact that if we did a comparison, most of us would find his city lacking... but this *is* TalkIrvine. It would be like Panda defending Johns Creek... there just is no comparison.

aquabliss said:
rkp said:

Wow, that was a pretty successful flip.  That area is crap though, driving through that community feels so old and dingy.  Woodbridge is probably not much younger but the feeling between the 2 communities is night and day.

Majority of people spend the $$$ on the side facing the lake.  Its an entirely different experience seeing the houses from a boat.  Its all dock appeal and not curb appeal.

irvinehomeowner said:
Liar Loan said:

I don't remember InNOut and Metropolis night club existing at the same time. I think it was Twoheys during that time. And I forget, was the club before the clothing store or after (I think they were both named Metropolis)?

Bonus points to who knows what the Taco Bell used to be. And I think Chik-Fil-A was multiple things prior too.

Since I'm probably one of the few here that have been in Irvine the longest, I disagree. I think Irvine evolved into what it was master planned to... a large urban community with mixed housing for families, professionals, elders and college students. Combine that with 2 large business areas (IBC and Spectrum), shopping and dining... and you have one of the best (if not *the* best) cities in the OC that has almost every other one beat on location, safety and education. Close to major freeways, short drive to the beach or the snow, between LA and San Diego... next to Disneyland, not too far from Vegas... and weather that's not too inland hot or too beach-foggy.

Liar Loan probably won't fess up to where he lives maybe due to anonymity and the fact that if we did a comparison, most of us would find his city lacking... but this *is* TalkIrvine. It would be like Panda defending Johns Creek... there just is no comparison.

We moved out to Irvine in 2004...and while it was nice, the commercial scene was really bad.  Standard cookie cutter restaurants and shops...despite all the centers, there was very little selection especially minority ones.  TIC had to step up its game with Dimaond Jamboree and the Mitsuwa mall upgrades.  The competition has provided so much  more.

Back